JACKSON, Miss. -- The state's annual PGA TOUR competition - the Sanderson Farms Championship benefitting Century Club Charities - will move to historic Country Club of Jackson, the tournament director confirmed.
Sanderson Farms Championship will debut at Country Club of Jackson, Nov. 3-9, at the start of the 2014-15 PGA TOUR season.
Country Club of Jackson dates back to 1914. It is a private club with 27 championship holes, 18 of which were re-designed by John Fought in 2008 and measure 7,284 yards from the Championship Tees.
Fought's layout incorporates classic Donald Ross flavor - parkland style routing with smallish, tricky greens - which range in size at CC of Jackson from approximately 5,000 to 8,500 square feet.
Mississippi's annual PGA TOUR stop dates back decades and has been played at several venues under different title sponsors or tournament names.
It has been played - to great reception - at Jack Nicklaus-designed Annandale Country Club in Madison the past 20 years. Woody Austin prevailed at Annandale during the 2013 Sanderson Farms Championship, one of two TOUR events played in the golf-rich Magnolia State. The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic - a Champions TOUR event - was played at Fallen Oak Golf Club last month and won by Jeff Maggert.
"Mississippi is proud to support the great work done by Sanderson Farms Championship and Century Club Charities," said Mississippi Development Authority Director of Tourism Malcolm White. "Simultaneously benefitting charitable organizations and highlighting our great state through professional golf is a win-win."
Mississippi's Friends of Children's Hospital is Sanderson Farms Championship's main beneficiary.
About Mississippi Golf
The state of Mississippi offers multiple stay-and-play packages at a variety of price points in five distinct regions. For more information please visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf.php or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• More than 170 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
• Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
• Home to two annual TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the Champions TOUR, played at Fallen Oak (March 17-23, 2014) and the Sanderson Farms Championship of the PGA TOUR, played at Country Club of Jackson (Nov. 3-9, 2014)
• Third-largest gaming destination in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
• Birthplace of blues, rock 'n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state's diverse musical heritage
• World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
• A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
• A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
Gary Trask, 978.228.0314