JACKSON, Miss. -- Some of the biggest names in golf return to Mississippi this month when award-winning Fallen Oak hosts the PGA Champions Tour's Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic, March 17-23.
Nick Faldo and Colin Montgomerie make their first visit to the Mississippi Gulf Coast as part of a world-class field that includes seven World Golf Hall of Famers, 17 major championship winners and 28 of the top 30 players on the Champions Tour Money List.
"We're excited so many of golf's most prominent names will once again be in Mississippi to compete on one of the very best courses in the country," says Mississippi Tourism Director Malcolm White. "We covet the opportunity to showcase not only our great collection of golf courses to a world-wide audience, but also our casino resorts, authentic cuisine, entertainment, outdoor activities and, of course, southern hospitality."
Other notable players heading to Fallen Oak to compete for a $1.6-million tournament purse include 2013 Champions Tour Player of the Year Kenny Perry, Bernhard Langer, Rocco Mediate, Tom Kite, Mark Calcavecchia, Nick Price, Mark O'Meara, Hal Sutton, Larry Nelson, 2011 champion Tom Lehman and defending champion Michael Allen.
The three-day, 54-hole tournament begins Friday, March 21 and will be broadcast live on Golf Channel. Tickets are available at http://www.2014mgrc.com/ and start at $15. Children ages 15 and under earn free entry when accompanied by a ticketed adult.
Since the inaugural tournament in 2010, The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic has generated over $55 million for the regional economy and more than $750,000 in assistance for local non-profit community charities.
The presenting sponsor for the event is C Spire, a telecommunications, networking and technology services company that got its start on the Mississippi Gulf Coast 25 years ago.
The state of Mississippi offers multiple stay-and-play packages at a variety of price points in five distinct regions. For more information please visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
About Mississippi Golf:
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• More than 170 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
• Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
• Home to two annual PGA TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the PGA Champions Tour, played at Fallen Oak (March 17-23, 2014) and the Sanderson Farms Championship of the PGA TOUR, played at Annandale Golf Club (Nov. 3-9, 2014).
• Third-largest gaming destination in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
• Birthplace of blues, rock 'n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state's diverse musical heritage
• World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
• A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
• A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
For more information, visit www.visitmississippi.org or call toll-free 1.866.801.8551.