JACKSON, Mississippi -- The Mississippi Development Authority (MDA) will partner with the PGA TOUR to host the newly sponsored Sanderson Farms Championship at Annandale Golf Club in Madison next week (July 15-21) as part of the season-long race for the FedEx Cup.
The event - formerly the True South Classic and Viking Classic - has been on the PGA TOUR schedule since 1968. This year's field includes major champion winners Mike Weir, David Toms and Lee Janzen, as well as popular players like Boo Weekley, Rory Sabbatini, Ricky Barnes, Woody Austin and more.
"The Sanderson Farms Championship provides an opportunity for the fans, players, caddies and their families to experience the state's natural beauty, True South hospitality and, of course, our world-class selection of golf courses," said Mississippi Tourism Director Malcolm White.
Past winners include defending champion Scott Stallings, Luke Donald, Craig Stadler, 2011 FedEx Cup Champion Bill Haas and local favorite Heath Slocum. The total purse for the tournament is $3 million and it will be televised worldwide on Golf Channel. The Jack Nicklaus-designed Annandale Golf Club has been home to the event since 1994.
A full week of events - including three Pro Am Tournaments and a Junior Clinic on Saturday, July 20 - begins on Monday, July 15. Tickets and volunteer opportunities are still available by visiting www.sandersonfarmschampionship.com or by calling 1.866.898.GOLF.
For information on special stay-and-play package deals to Mississippi visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf.aspx or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551 to receive a free Golf Travel Guide and suggested play-and-stay itineraries.
Sanderson Farms of Laurel, Miss. is one of the nation's leading food corporations and is the title sponsor of the event, which is the second professional golf tournament to visit Mississippi this year. In March, the PGA Champions Tour plays the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic at Fallen Oak in Saucier with a list of past winners that includes Fred Couples and Tom Lehman.
About Mississippi Golf:
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• More than 170 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
• Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
• Home to two annual PGA TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the Champions Tour, played at Fallen Oak and the Sanderson Farms Championship of the PGA TOUR, played at Annandale Golf Club (July 15-21, 2013).
• Third-largest gaming destination in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
• Birthplace of blues, rock 'n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state's diverse musical heritage
• World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
• A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
• A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
For more information, visit www.visitmississippi.org or call toll-free 1.866.801.8551.
Gary Trask, 978.228.0314
Dan Shepherd, 703.891.3320