FAIRHAVEN, Mass. -- To realize a lifelong dream is a journey, and Titleist Brand Ambassador Peter Uihlein's path to his first professional victory has been one rarely traveled by an American-born golfer. The 2010 U.S. Amateur champion and former Oklahoma State standout chose to pursue his goal by playing overseas and was rewarded with a European Tour card through 2014 after capturing the Madeira Islands Open in Portugal.
Uihlein posted an opening round even par 72, which he followed up with a tournament-best 8-under 64 on Friday to put him in contention. Trailing the overnight leader by one shot entering the final round, Uihlein closed with a clutch 4-under par 68 en route to a 15-under par 273 victory total. He finished two shots clear of fellow Titleist Brand Ambassadors and Pro V1x golf ball loyalists Mark Tullo and Morten Orum Madsen.
The win marked Uihlein's third top 10 finish in seven European Tour starts this season. He finished 4th at the Tshwane Open in South Africa and T8 at the Open de Espana. He also tied for 6th at the Puerto Rico Open on the PGA TOUR.
What's in Peter Uihlein's Bag: Titleist Pro V1x, 913D3 driver (8.5), 913Fd fairway metal (13.5), 712U utility iron (3), 680MB irons (4-P), Vokey Design SM4 gap (50), sand (56) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron GSS putter.
Of the 156-player field, 74% (116) relied upon Titleist golf balls, over five times the nearest competitor (21).
The table below highlights all of the weekly and aggregate year-to-date golf ball counts across the 2013 major worldwide professional tours:
TOUR EVENT FIELD TITLEIST PCT. Nearest PCT.
PGA HP Byron Nelson Championship 156 100 64% 22 14%
EUROPEAN Volvo World Match Play 24 13 54% 4 17%
EUROPEAN Madeira Islands Open - Portugal - BPI 156 116 74% 21 14%
LPGA Mobile Bay LPGA Classic 144 102 71% 10 7%
WEB.COM BMW Charity Pro-Am 168 113 67% 19 11%
JAPAN JPGA Championship Nissin
Cupnoodles Cup 144 59 41% 36 25%
ONEASIA/KOREA SK Telecom Open 153 103 67% 15 10%
SOUTH AFRICA Zambia Sugar Open 140 103 74% 30 21%
LATINO AMERICA Mundo Maya Open 131 103 79% 16 12%
2013 WORLDWIDE PLAYER COUNT 8,173 67% 1,181 10%
2013 WORLDWIDE WIN COUNT 58 60% 15 16%
Three other Titleist Brand Ambassadors won across the worldwide professional tours this week, including Mark Anderson and Jorge Fernando Valdez, who also captured their first professional events on the Web.com and PGA TOUR Latinoamerica, respectively.
WEB.COM - BMW Charity Pro-Am
- Of the 168-player field, 67% (113) relied upon Titleist golf balls, nearly five times the nearest competitor (19).
- Mark Anderson posted a 5-shot victory over fellow Titleist Brand Ambassador Tom Hoge.
- His 27-under 259 total broke the tournament record by four shots and matches third best in Web.com history.
- What's in Mark Anderson's Bag?: Pro V1x, 913D3 driver (8.5), 913Fd fairway metal (13.5), 913H hybrid (19), AP2 irons (4-P), Vokey Design SM4 gap (52), sand (58) and lob (62) wedges, Scotty Cameron Kombi putter.
ONEASIA/KOREAN TOURS: SK Telecom Open
-Titleist golf ball loyalists accounted for 67% (103) of the 153-player field, over six times the nearest competitor.
- Titleist Brand Ambassador Matthew Griffin won his second career OneAsia/Korean Tour title in less than a year.
- Griffin topped a leaderboard that included 14 Titleist players among the 15 who finished in the top 10 and ties.
- What's in Matthew Griffin's Bag?: Pro V1x, 913D3 driver (8.5), 913F fairway metal (15), 712U utility iron (3-4), CB irons (5-P), Vokey Design gap (52), sand (56) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Putter.
LATINOAMERICA TOUR: Mundo Maya Open
-Titleist golf ball loyalists accounted for 79% (103) of the 131-player field, over six times the nearest competitor.
-Titleist Brand Ambassador Jorge Fernandez Valdez of Argentina captured the Mundo Maya Open, becoming the youngest winner on the PGA TOUR Latinoamerica at 20 years and 9 months.
-He has now as posted four top 10s in six tournaments this year and advanced to second in the Order of Merit.
-What's in Jorge Fernandez Valdez' Bag?: Pro V1 x, 913D3 driver (9.5), 913Fd fairway metal (15), MB irons (3-PW), Vokey Design Spin Milled gap (50), sand (56) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron Golo S5 putter.