GULF SHORES, Ala. -- The Gulf Shores Golf Association - a collection of nine highly acclaimed courses on Alabama's Gulf Coast - is offering a variety of camps and savings for junior golfers this summer.
"Gulf Shores has always been a family friendly destination and these programs are a perfect way to get juniors more involved in the game at a low cost to Mom and Dad," said Gulf Shores Golf Association Executive Director Duncan Millar.
The new junior golf programs include:
• Craft Farms: Geared toward ages 7-16, the camps will concentrate on the rules of golf, chipping, putting, etiquette and other skills. Three sessions run from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.: June 3-6, June 17-20 and July 8-11. Cost is $100 per child and includes lunch each day and a tee gift. For information, call 1.800.327.2657.
• Peninsula Golf & Racquet Club: Camps will feature golf and tennis instruction, as well as swimming and water games. Sessions are June 3-7, June 17-21, July 8-12 and July 22-26 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and are for ages 6-12. Cost is $225 for one week, $400 for two weeks, $550 for three weeks and $700 for four weeks. Space is limited. For information, call 251.968.8009.
• Rock Creek Golf Club: Through August, leagues for ages 6-15 and under will emphasize skill development and feature contests and games, as well as a year-end parent-child tournament. Cost for a one-time membership is $199, or $65 per month. Additional benefits include free play any afternoon with a paying adult, two free bags of range balls every day with parental supervision for kids 10 and under and a 20% merchandise discount, excluding sale items. Additional camps are available. For information, call 1.800.458.8815.
• Lost Key Golf Club: Situated along the Perdido Key, Lost Key is offering $25 green fees for juniors golfers aged 18 and under. Regular rates from March through August are $80 before 11 a.m., $65 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and $50 after 2 p.m. For tee times, call 1.888.256.7853.
• TimberCreek Golf Club: The 27-hole facility is offering free play every Sunday after 3 p.m. for juniors ages 14 and under. The course will also host a series of junior clinics every Thursday from June 13- July 25 from 4-5 p.m. for ages 7-12. The cost of the clinics is $65.
The nine signature Gulf Shores golf courses are all within a 45-minute ride of each other and the area also provides an array of non-golf, outdoor activities and events along 32 miles of sugar-sand beaches.
Gulf Shores was recently chosen from among 360 popular destinations and named by FamilyFun Magazine as one of the "Top-10 Tourist Towns."
Below is a sampling of "starting-at" stay-and-play rates, good through Aug. 4, 2013. Prices include taxes and fees and are based on four nights and three rounds of golf at three pre-determined courses. An Unlimited Golf option is available at a nominal fee with any package:
Two-Bedroom Gulf Front Condo
Rate: $122.33 per person, per night for golf and room
Description: Quad occupancy in a two-bedroom gulf-front condo with one king bed, two full beds and a sleeper sofa.
Two-Bedroom Golf Villa
Rate: $69.53 per person, per night for golf and room
Description: Quad occupancy in a two-bedroom golf villa, with one king bed, two twin beds and a sleeper sofa.
For a customized quote for groups of all sizes call 1.888.815.1902 or visit www.golfgulfshores.com.
To view current news, photos, events and special offers, "Like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GolfGulfShores or follow the GSGA on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GolfGulfShores.
About Golf Gulf Shores
Golf Gulf Shores is the moniker for the Gulf Shores Golf Association, the partnership that promotes the destination and its custom golf packages built by its partners, for golf groups, families and corporate outings. The destination features nine golf courses, countless lodging options and a wealth of outdoor activity on its 32-mile waterfront destination.
Cotton Creek at Craft Farms - Arnold Palmer Signature Design with generous fairways lined by Southern Hardwoods, undulating greens and a championship test from 7,028 yards, and owned and operated by Honours Golf.
Cypress Bend at Craft Farms - The sister Honours Golf property to Cotton Creek, the Arnold Palmer Signature Design meanders through cord-grass accented lakes which come into play on nearly every hole.
Glenlakes Golf Club - Scottish-style links course designed by Von Hagge and known for its extensive bunkering and postage-stamp greens.
Kiva Dunes - A "Top 100 Course in America" by Golf Digest, the Jerry Pate design is the only beachfront resort course in Gulf Shores. Golfweek ranked Kiva Dunes the No. 1 public-access course in Alabama in 2012.
Lost Key - The stunning course, redesigned by the Arnold Palmer Design Group in 2006, rewards accuracy off the tee and with approaches as it winds through woods and wetlands. It also boasts a new state-of-the-art clubhouse.
Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club - Owned and operated by Honours Golf, the 27-hole facility offers chilled apples on the tee. The 830-acre park includes 30 lakes and fairways surrounded by Bon Secour Wildlife Preserve.
Rock Creek Golf Club - Also owned by Honours Golf and boasting rolling terrain and fairways lined by pines, the Earl Stone design overlooks freshwater wetlands and the Rock Creek basin.
TimberCreek Golf Club - This 27-hole design was crafted by Earl Stone and feels like an inland Carolina course with fairways lined by loblolly pines, dogwoods and magnolias.
Gulf Shores Golf Club - Formerly known as The Golf Club of the Wharf, this was the Gulf Shores' first course. Opened it 1960, it was redesigned by Jay and Carter Morrish in 2005.
For more information: www.golfgulfshores.com, 888.815.1902.