JACKSON, Miss. -- The Magnolia State will once again attract a world-class field of golfers to the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic at the award-winning Fallen Oak Golf Club in Biloxi, March 21-24.
Defending his title, Fred Couples will vie for the $1.6 million purse in a field of 78 players featuring World Golf Hall of Famers Bernhard Langer and Nick Price as well as major championship winners Mark Calcavecchia and Tom Lehman.
"We are excited to once again be hosting this event and to have such a great group of golfers competing on one of the best courses in the country," said MDA Director Brent Christensen. "It should be an intense competition for the title and it will showcase the beauty and challenges of Mississippi golf."
The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic week kicks off with practice rounds at Fallen Oak, an amenity of Beau Rivage Casino Resort, on March 18 followed by the pro-am tournaments on March 19 at Grand Bear Golf Course and at Fallen Oak on March 20-21.
The three-day 54-hole tournament will be held March 22-24 and will be broadcast on Golf Channel. Awards will be presented immediately following conclusion of play on Sunday.
Tickets to the event are just $15 and free for children under the age of 15. The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates proceeds to the Habitat for Humanity.
For more information please visit www.visitmississippi.org/golf or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
About Mississippi Golf:
Attractions contributing to Mississippi's growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
• More than 170 courses offering a variety of price points and designs from world-class architects such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate and Tom Fazio
• Year-round golf weather with temperate conditions throughout five distinct regions -- The Hills, The Delta, The Capital/River, The Pines, The Coastal
• Home to two annual PGA TOUR events: The Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic of the Champions Tour, played at Fallen Oak (March 18-24, 2013) and the True South Classic of the PGA TOUR, played at Annandale Golf Club (July 15-21, 2013).
• Third-largest gaming destination in North America, featuring exciting gaming, upscale shopping, live entertainment, luxurious spas and internationally acclaimed golf courses
• Birthplace of blues, rock 'n roll and country music. Mississippi Blues Trail and Country Music Trail markers are placed at key sites around the state to honor musicians and give visitors insight into the state's diverse musical heritage
• World-famous, authentic southern cuisine offering savory barbecue, fresh seafood and French-Cajun delicacies
• A busy calendar of more than 400 unique events scheduled throughout the year
• A host of non-golf activities including boating, fishing, bird-watching, hiking, biking, hunting, camping and more
For more information, visit www.visitmississippi.org or call toll-free 1-866-801-8551.
Gary Trask, 978.228.0314
Dan Shepherd, 703.891.3320