KAUA'I, Hawaii -- The Kaua'i Visitors Bureau announces that the Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club, Makai Golf Club at Princeville and Poipu Bay Golf Course have been named to Golf Digest's "Top 100 Public Courses in America 2013-2014" list.
The Prince Course - which reopened last year following an extensive enhancement project - ranked No. 22 on the list, which is based on criteria including design variety, memorability and conditioning. Makai and Poipu Bay debuted at Nos. 80 and 91, respectively.
The three courses were also recognized on the "Best in State" list. Prince Course rated No. 4, Makai No. 10 and Poipu Bay No. 13 among all public and private courses in golf-rich Hawaii.
"These awards confirm Kaua'i as an excellent golf destination, complementing our beaches, activities and family-friendly atmosphere," said Sue Kanoho, executive director of the Kaua'i Visitors Bureau. "Along with Kaua'i Lagoons Golf Club and Puakea Golf Course, our honored courses combine to provide an array of world-class options."
Value-laden packages abound in Kaua'i, where these courses and several resorts provide stay-and-play choices.
• Premium Ocean Nine & Wine at Kaua'i Lagoons Golf Club: During February, couples can enjoy nine holes on the new Kiele Moana Ocean Course with a bottle of wine and cheese for $89 per player, after 3:30 p.m. HST Monday-Sunday. Non-golfers can ride along and enjoy the spectacular views and wine for $25. Call 808.241.6000.
• Grand Slam Package at Poipu Bay Golf Course: Golf three rounds at the former host course of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf for $425, plus tax, a savings of nearly 40%. The rounds must be played within 10 days of purchase. Guests of the adjacent Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort & Spa receive the package for $367, plus tax. Call 1.800.858.6300.
• Ho'okipa Rate at Puakea Golf Course: The Ho'okipa Rate of $79 includes 18 holes at this well-regarded design by Robin Nelson, practice balls and a complimentary rider, with a special rate of $25 for rental clubs. Call 808.245.8756.
• Unlimited Golf at Makai Golf Club at Princeville: Three full days of golf -- as many holes as you can play -- on the 18-hole Makai and 9-hole Woods courses. The three golf days do not have to be consecutive, but must be used within a seven-day period. Price is $435, plus tax. Call 808.826.1912.
• Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club Stay and Play: For $345 per night receive accommodations at The Westin Princeville, two rounds of golf (including cart and bag tag), complimentary rental clubs and a nine-hole round on the date of arrival or departure, based on availability. Call 1-866.716.8140. Offer good through Dec. 31, 2013.
For more information on golf in Kaua'i "Like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/KauaiGolf, visit www.gohawaii.com/kauai/experiences/golf or call 1-800-262-1400.
About "Kaua'i: Discover Golf's Ultimate Island Green"
Kaua'i offers more than 50 miles of white sand beaches -- more beach per mile than any other island in Hawaii -- with only five percent of the island developed for commercial and residential use. The Kaua'i golf destination is a cooperative of five world-class golf courses and three award-winning resorts:
1. Prince Course at Princeville Golf Club (www.princeville.com, 800.826.1105)
• Ranked as the No. 1 course in Hawaii by GOLF Magazine (2012) and No. 22 among "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 by Golf Digest
• Robert Trent Jones Jr. design re-opened in 2012 following an extensive refurbishment project that restored original design aspect, and improved playability for all skill levels
• The 66,000-square-foot clubhouse features The Tavern Restaurant, by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi, and the beautifully appointed 5,500-square-foot Prince Golf Shop
2. Makai Golf Club at Princeville (www.makaigolf.com, 808.826.1912)
• Re-opened in 2010 following an extensive renovation. The Makai Course has since been ranked by Golf Digest as one of "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013/2014 and in the Top 5 "Best Public Courses in Hawaii" 2012 by GOLF Magazine.
• The 18-hole Makai Course incorporates serene lakes and stunning ocean coastline; the leisurely 9-hole Woods Course winds through native woodlands against a backdrop of lush mountains
• The St. Regis Princeville Resort recently completed a multi-million-dollar renovation and is home to the Halele'a Spa and The Kaua'i Grill by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
3. Kaua'i Lagoons Golf Club (www.kauailagoonsgolf.com, 800.634.6400)
• In 2012 was voted No. 6 in Hawaii in Golfweek magazine's Best Courses: State by State, No. 7 on GOLF Magazine's "Best-Of" state rankings and one of the "World's Most Beautiful Golf Courses" on MSN Travel
• Amenity of the Kaua'i Marriot Resort on Kalapaki Beach, which recently underwent major upgrades to all of its guestrooms, suites, restaurants and pool deck
• The Kiele Moana (Ocean) Course - which features the longest continuous stretch of ocean holes in Hawaii - made its debut in May 2011, bringing back the famous 18-hole Kiele Championship layout
• The front nine holes feature the par-3, fifth green encircled by a tropical Mango and Guava tree forest
• Features the only Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf experience on Kaua'i
4. Poipu Bay Golf Course (www.poipubaygolf.com, 800.858.6300)
• Along with Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort & Spa, Poipu Bay has been honored by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the top golf resorts in the U.S. from 2000 through 2013
• Named to Golf Digest's "America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses" 2013-2014 and Golfweek's Top 100 Resort Courses in America 2012
• Four closing holes play atop a 150-foot sea cliff
• Home to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 through 2006, it has frequently hosted players like Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh and other major champions
• Unveiled the eco-friendly Seashore Paspalum turf on all greens in 2011
• The Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort & Spa completed a renovation in 2012 and features a water playground with river pool, waterfalls, a saltwater lagoon, tennis and the celebrated Anara Spa
5. Puakea Golf Course (www.puakeagolf.com, 866.773.5554)
• Consistently rated a favorite among Kaua'i golfers in local media outlets and ranked as the No. 15 course in Hawaii by Golfweek
• Golf Course Architect Robin Nelson used the natural layout of the land when he planned this layout, testing golfers of all levels and treating them to beautiful views of Mt. Ha'upu and deep lush ravines on several holes
• Owned by AOL co-Founder Steve Case
About the KVB and HVCB
The Kaua'i Visitors Bureau is a division of the Hawai'i Visitors and Convention Bureau, which is contracted by the Hawai'i Tourism Authority (HTA), the state of Hawai'i's tourism agency, for marketing management services in North America. The HTA was established in 1998 to ensure a successful visitor industry well into the future. Its mission is to strategically manage Hawai'i tourism in a sustainable manner consistent with the state of Hawai'i's economic goals, cultural values, preservation of natural resources, community desires, and visitor industry needs.
Gary Trask, 978.228.0314
Dan Shepherd, 703.403.5317