Details of a new golf tournament, timed to coincide with the build-up to the 2014 Ryder Cup, have been announced by one of Scotland's leading luxury tour operators. The inaugural Scottish Clans Golf World Championships will take place in July and August 2013 and is expected to attract visitors from around the world to the Home of Golf.
The tournament will be played over some of Scotland's finest courses including the Open Championship venue at Carnoustie and host of the 2014 Ryder Cup; the Centenary Course at Gleneagles. More importantly, representatives of Scottish clans from across the world will for the first time have the opportunity to represent their families and be crowned the Scottish Clans Golf World Champion.
Organiser and managing director of Platinum Golf Scotland Stuart French said the historic event would bring together golfers from around the world in a celebration of all things Scottish. "We are proud to confirm the first ever Scottish Clans Golf World Championships will take place next summer at Gleneagles. This is the first time an event of this kind has been organised and we are delighted that it will be taking place in Scotland. Equally as important is the social side which will no doubt be enjoyed by the golfers, their families and friends who have come along to support them."
In addition to competing in the tournament, participants and their families will enjoy some of the finest examples of Scotland's heritage, culture and hospitality. For instance, many will take advantage of the genealogy experts that will be on hand during the week-long programme of events being finalised for the championships.
The timing of the announcement coincides with the registration of the event's tartan which will be used to promote the tournament in the run-up to the first tee-off next summer. As French noted, this inaugural match will set the tone for what is hoped will become an annual event.
"In many ways, we would like next year's championships to be a curtain-raiser for the 2014 tournament which will dovetail perfectly into an extraordinary year for Scottish culture," he commented. "We hope the Scottish Clans Golf World Championships will become an integral part of Scotland's summer of festivities with the 2014 event being a highlight of what is sure to be a wonderful year for Scottish tourism."
As well as coinciding with the 2014 Ryder Cup at Gleneagles, the Scottish Clans Golf World Championships will also take place alongside the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, the Gathering of the Clans and the 2014 Commonwealth Games which will take place in Glasgow.
To find out more or to take part in the Scottish Clans Golf World Championships please visit www.platinumgolfscotland.com
1) Platinum Golf Scotland was launched in 2004 and is a luxury golf holiday provider based close to Dundee in Scotland.
2) The Scottish Clans Golf World Championships will take place from 27th July - 3rd August 2013. The championships will be played over the three golf courses at Gleneagles; The Kings Course, The Queens Course and The Centenary Course, and the Championship Course at Carnoustie.
3) Other events that Platinum has organised include The 2012 World Association of Left-Handed Golfers Championship; The Tartan Day Scotland International Golf Challenge and The Carnoustie Country Classic.
4) For more information on Gleneagles, please visit www.gleneagles.com
5) For more information on Platinum Golf Scotland, please visit www.platinumgolfscotland.com
Media contact: Yvonne Alexander, The Word Association
Office: +44 (0)1337 858 807
Out of hours: +44 (0) 7976 369 260