PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. -- Members of the European Ryder Cup team have been paying tribute to former captain Seve Ballesteros this week at the first matches since the legendary Spanish golfer's death last year. European Captain José Maria Olazábal also revealed that his team's golf bags will feature the iconic silhouette of Seve after he won the 1984 Open Championship at St Andrews.
But the Ryder Cup isn't the only tournament taking place this year that will honor the charismatic Spaniard. From Nov. 29 to Dec. 1, Pebble Beach Resorts will host the inaugural Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament. And while the Ryder Cup is for only the elite players from the United States and Europe, all golfers are invited to compete in the Seve Legends.
The unique Par 3 Tournament will take place on Pebble Beach's Peter Hay Golf Course amid a festive environment, with live music and DJs, fine food and wine, and TV screens broadcasting the tournament competition from around the course. It will create a vibrant stage that anyone with a passion for the game won't want to miss. (VIP spectator tickets are available from $300.)
Nine teams (four players per team) from both the U.S. and Europe will compete for the Legends Trophy, with each team captained by a special guest celebrity golfer. Confirmed captains include:
* Dennis Haysbert, American actor - "24", "The Unit"
* Damian Lewis, British actor - "Homeland", "Band of Brothers"
* Jodie Kidd, British fashion model and TV personality
* Len Goodman, British judge on "Strictly Come Dancing" and "Dancing with the Stars"
* Ivan Ballesteros, Seve's nephew and former manager
* Peter Weller, American actor - "Robocop", "Star Trek"
* George Lopez, American actor and standup comedian
* Mark Foster, British Olympic and world champion swimmer
* Chris Noth, American actor - "Sex and the City", "The Good Wife"
* Cheech Marin, American comedian and actor - "Cheech & Chong", "Desperado"
* Jason Isaacs, British actor - "Harry Potter", "Brotherhood"
* Ioan Gruffudd, British actor - "Fantastic Four", "Amazing Grace"
* George Lazenby, Australian "James Bond" actor
Competitors also have the chance to play the other renowned courses at Pebble Beach, including The Links at Spanish Bay and the world-famous Pebble Beach Golf Links.
As well as being a celebration of Ballesteros's life, the tournament also will raise money for The Seve Ballesteros Foundation, the charity that Seve set up in partnership with Cancer Research UK in 2009 to raise money for research focused on brain tumors.Seve was diagnosed with a brain tumor in October 2008 and it took his life less than three years later.
Teams of four players are available for The Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament. Each team member receives:
* Ground transportation between Monterey Regional Airport (MRY) and Pebble Beach
* Invitation to Opening Night Reception (Wednesday, Nov. 28)
* Four nights lodging (double occupancy) at The Inn at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach
* Participation in the Legends Tournament, including food and beverages throughout the event
* Post-tournament Champagne Reception and Gala Dinner with live entertainment, prizes and charity auction at the exclusive Beach & Tennis Club in Pebble Beach (Thursday, Nov. 29)
* One round of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay (Friday, Nov. 30)
* One round of golf at Pebble Beach Golf Links (Saturday, Dec. 1)
* Official team golf shirt and luxury goodie bag
* Invitation to Closing Reception (following golf on Dec. 1)
Registration per team of four is $35,000.
"I am very happy that Seve's Foundation will benefit from the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament at Pebble Beach this year," said Ivan Ballesteros, vice president of the Seve Ballesteros Foundation. "Seve loved Pebble Beach, so it is fitting that a tournament is played there to honor him. Thank you to all the players and celebrities who will come together to make this event a success, helping us raise money and awareness for the foundation in the U.S."
To participate in the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament, e-mail email@example.com, or call:
More information about the Seve Ballesteros Legends Tournament is available by visiting www.sevelegends.com.
Hunter Public Relations | Carmel, California USA
Superstar Sports Ltd | London
About the Seve Ballesteros Foundation:
* The Seve Ballesteros Foundation was set up by Seve Ballesteros and the Ballesteros family to raise funds for brain cancer research.
* The Seve Ballesteros Foundation works in partnership with Cancer Research UK to beat cancers of the brain.
* Since it was founded in 2009 the Foundation has raised more than £2 million.
* In the UK, around 9,300 people every year are diagnosed with tumors that start in the brain or elsewhere in the central nervous system.
* For more information visit www.seveballesterosfoundation.org.uk
About Cancer Research UK:
* Cancer Research UK is the world's leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
* The charity's groundbreaking work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives. This work is funded entirely by the public.
* Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
* Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
* Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer.
For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1861 or visit www.cancerresearchuk.org.