POCONO MOUNTAINS, Pa. -- Parents who wish to get their kids out of video-game mode and into outdoor activities can take advantage of area-wide freebies and golf specials through Pocono Mountains' Family Golf Month in July.
Free golf clinics, family-friendly scrambles and golf round discounts are available at many of 30+ golf courses in the four-county region of eastern Pennsylvania throughout the month, giving adult golfers an incentive to bring their children on the course.
"The Pocono Mountains are known for summer family fun, and we wanted to dedicate time to encourage our next generation of golfers to get in the game," said Carl Wilgus, President of the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau. "By encouraging kids to enjoy an outdoor sport, we help parents and families stay active and enjoy our natural beauty."
Golf specials offered to the public during July include the following:
• Buck Hill has a series of Family Golf Activities in July, including a free Family-Friendly Golf Clinic at 11 am on July 5th, and free Family Golf Scramble Events on July 8 and 27.
• At Pocono Manor, Kids 10 and under play free with a paying adult through July; kids 11-18 pay only a $20 cart fee with a paying parent.
• Kids playing at Woodloch with a paying parent play free after 3 pm every day in July, based on availability. Resort guests can enjoy a $199 per-person, per-night rate through July, including accommodations and three meals daily.
• Mount Airy welcomes kids with a family-friendly rate of $15 for nine holes and $20 for 18 holes after 3 pm daily through July.
• Fernwood Resort welcomes young golfers aged 10 or under to play for free during July when with a paying adult; kids 11-17 pay cart fee only.
• Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort allows kids to play for free after 3 pm when adults pay at twilight rates - $19 weekdays and $29 on the weekend.
• Split Rock Golf Club offers $35 junior rates midweek ($50 Saturday/Sunday) throughout the summer.
Along with the golf specials at individual courses, the Pocono Golf-A-Round card is still available which offers two $25 rounds at eight of the area courses. Families can also enjoy the many Fourth of July activities in the Pocono Mountains with fireworks at Woodloch Resort and golf specials throughout the region.
See http://www.poconosgolf.com for more specials and information.
About "Pocono Mountains: Discover Golf's Great Destination Secret"
The Pocono Mountains has long been known to avid travelers and mountain aficionados for its lush, relaxing family-friendly ambiance and romantic setting, as well as its fall foliage, winter skiing, spring-summer outdoor recreation options and natural beauty. Numerous lakes, parks and other environmental wonderlands are found throughout the four-county Pocono Mountains region.
A venerable destination that has welcomed generations of travelers, the Pocono Mountains has undergone a renaissance over the last few years. While renovations have swept through stately and historic resorts, other properties have joined the mix. Gaming at Mount Airy Casino Resort and the award-winning Jack Frost National -- named a "Best New" and "Best You Can Play" course by leading industry publications -- are two of the many exciting additions.
Attributes of the golf-and-resort properties and destination include:
• Home to more than 30 golf courses with hundreds of holes for beginners and avid golfers alike; close proximity gives golfers chance to play 36 in a day
• Two NASCAR races held annually
• Golden Era of Golf Architecture period designs strongly represented by legendary designers Donald Ross and A.W. Tillinghast
• Hiking, biking, camping, spas, horseback riding, boating, fishing, hunting and many other activities
• Attractions, festivals and other special events
• Meeting and conference facilities
• Great food at a wide array of eating establishments and resort restaurants
• Bed & breakfasts, country inns and resorts
• Antique shops, outlet malls and other unique shopping venues
Janeen Driscoll, Buffalo Communications
Dan Shepherd, Buffalo Communications