E-Z-GO, a Textron Inc. company and the world’s leading manufacturer of golf cars and utility vehicles, today introduces the all-new Freedom® RXV™ personal golf car, with an array of innovative features delivering superior performance, safety, comfort and reliability in a stylish, eco-friendly package.
Based on the same platform that made E-Z-GO’s revolutionary RXV fleet golf car the talk of the industry, the 2008 Freedom RXV takes the personal golf car to a new level. The Freedom RXV is available in electric and gas models whose new interior and exterior features create the safest, most environmentally sound golf car available.
The Freedom RXV’s industry-first dual-braking system eliminates the manual parking brake on the electric-powered vehicle, and will brake automatically on steep grades for enhanced safety and control. Energy-transfer bumpers on the front, rear and sides are rated to withstand collisions of 5 MPH, absorbing the force of impacts to protect the engine, suspension, and other components. A 48-volt alternating-current motor, instead of the traditional direct-current type, makes the electric Freedom 30 percent more energy efficient than other models. The gas version’s 13-horsepower Kawasaki engine cuts fuel consumption by up to 52 percent.
The Freedom RXV comes well equipped with standard features such as headlights, brake lights and horn, with available options including turn signals, platinum spoke wheels, club and ball washer, and cooler. Fourteen color choices include black, burgundy, electric blue and flame red.
“We’re thrilled to introduce the all-new Freedom RXV, a personal golf car unlike any other,” says Kevin P. Holleran, president of E-Z-GO. “From its powerful engine, to its remarkable braking system, to its incredibly stable suspension, the Freedom RXV sets a new benchmark for golf car performance. Even more importantly, the Freedom RXV was built to be the safest car on the course or in the neighborhood. And we were determined to keep the new vehicle’s environmental impact at a minimum through improved electric and gas efficiency.”
The 2008 Freedom’s innovations, features and benefits include:
* Dual-braking system (electric): A fail-safe park brake automatically engages when the electric Freedom RXV stops – requiring no foot pedal engagement. The industry-first mechanism can easily hold a 40-percent grade, while Freedom’s “drive-by-wire” system maintains constant speeds safely and easily. It also supplies recharge to the batteries whenever brakes are applied, enhancing efficiency and reducing long-term operating costs.
* Reduced carbon footprint: The Freedom RXV electric model requires less energy to charge and operate while reducing hazardous waste. And its whisper-quiet engine practically eliminates noise pollution. The gas model is compliant with the stringent emissions standards of the California Air Resources Board (CARB). Freedom’s seats are made from 100-percent recycled foam, and the body was designed to minimize water usage when washing.
* Safety first: In addition to the advantages of dual braking (electric only) and energy transfer bumpers, the Freedom RXV has many features to keep golfers safe and secure. The electric model’s limited slip differential delivers 25 percent better traction and is especially effective on wet or sandy soil. A slip-resistant floormat gives golfers firm footing in wet conditions, while the canopy has double-wall construction and 50 percent thicker struts.
* Kawasaki high-performance 13-HP engine (gas): This engine sets new standards for performance -- even on the hilliest terrain. With a larger cylinder and lower RPM, it delivers better fuel economy with less noise. And more miles per gallon mean greater savings for owners.
* Unmatched reliability: The new Freedom RXV is backed by the most comprehensive warranty in the industry – four-year, bumper-to-bumper coverage. E-Z-GO’s batteries are guaranteed to last for four years or 21,500 amp hours – whichever comes first.
* Enhanced comfort and convenience: The Freedom RXV’s automotive-style, A-arm suspension with coil-over-spring shock provides a smooth, comfortable ride. There’s also added storage space, and cup and ball holders are within easy reach of driver and passenger. The Freedom RXV features redesigned hip restraints and thicker foam padding in seats; a wider canopy that prevents rain from dripping inside; and a larger bag well to accommodate today’s biggest golf bags.
* Fresh exterior styling: Retaining the classic E-Z-GO look while incorporating up-to-date design elements, the Freedom RXV boasts a boldly elegant appearance. Its inviting style makes Freedom as visually appealing as it is enjoyable to drive.
Personal golf car use has soared across the country in golf, retirement and gated communities; owners now expect the vehicles to provide auto-like performance, safety and creature comforts. E-Z-GO’s engineers listened to customers and integrated many new ideas into the building of the 2008 Freedom RXV.
“Consumers are demanding more from these vehicles than ever before,” Holleran says, “and with the 2008 Freedom RXV, E-Z-GO offers a golf car that exceeds expectations in every way.”
In November 2007, E-Z-GO introduced the RXV fleet golf car to its golf course customers around the world. E-Z-GO first began producing golf cars at its Augusta headquarters in 1954 and has developed such industry innovations as rack-and-pinion steering, the Precision Drive System, regenerative braking, anti-rollback and diagnostic capabilities.
For more information on the 2008 Freedom RXV, visit www.ezgo.com.
E-Z-GO, a Textron Inc. company, is a leading manufacturer of golf cars and utility vehicles. E-Z-GO is the preferred golf car fleet provider for many of the world’s most revered golf clubs and resorts, and the golf car of choice of nine of the nation’s 10 largest course-management companies. E-Z-GO boasts the largest sales and service network in the industry, with more factory branch locations and independent distributors than any other manufacturer.
More than a maker of golf cars, E-Z-GO is also a leading provider of industrial, turf and utility vehicles for a variety of applications and industries. Products under the E-Z-GO flagship include the Shuttle Personnel Carrier, ST Trail Utility vehicles, and the Clays Car, the world’s first vehicle designed specifically for the sporting clays shooter. E-Z-GO also produces the Cushman line of heavy duty burden carriers.
Founded in 1954 in Augusta, Ga., E-Z-GO became part of Textron Inc. in 1960.
About Textron Inc.
Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) is a $13.2 billion multi-industry company operating in 34 countries with approximately 44,000 employees. The company leverages its global network of aircraft, industrial and finance businesses to provide customers with innovative solutions and services. Textron is known around the world for its powerful brands such as Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft Company, Jacobsen, Kautex, Lycoming, E-Z-GO, Greenlee, Fluid & Power, Textron Systems and Textron Financial Corporation. More information is available at www.textron.com.
Kathleen C. Searle
Vice President – Communications