John Daly PGA Tour notebook: John Daly spends night in jail after alcohol-related incident at Hooters

Professional golf's favorite bad boy is at it again, making the news with yet another alcohol-related incident.

Two-time major champion John Daly reportedly spent a night in jail last weekend after he was found drunk outside a Hooters restaurant in Winston-Salem, N.C., according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

Police Lieutenant Tyrone Phelps told the newspaper that Daly was held at the Forsyth County Jail early Sunday morning so he could sober up.

The Winston-Salem Journal reported that paramedics were called to the restaurant at 1 a.m. after receiving a call that Daly had passed out. But when police arrived, Daly was unwilling to go to the hospital and was eventually arrested for disorderly conduct, according to the report.

North Carolina state law states that police can jail a person overnight to sober up. He was later released on unsecured bond.

The 42-year-old Daly, who won the 1991 PGA Championship and the 1995 British Open, has been without a PGA Tour card for the past two years. Playing mostly on sponsor's exemptions, Daly made five cuts in 17 starts in 2008 PGA Tour events, failing to record a single top-25 finish.

Anthony Kim joins European PGA Tour

The trend of PGA Tour players taking up membership in the European Tour for 2009 continues as up-and-comer Anthony Kim joins in. The 23-year-old American is scheduled to play in the HSBC Champions event Nov. 6-9 in Shanghai.

Kim, who has two PGA Tour victories this year and is No. 8 in the world golf rankings, paid the $3,280 membership fee that will allow him to take part in the chase for the season-ending $10 million "Race to Dubai" for the European Tour's top 60 players.

Others who have joined or say they are planning to join the European Tour include Phil Mickelson, Camilo Villegas and Geoff Ogilvy.

"Anytime you get players from the caliber of Camilo and Anthony into the tour, it's great," Sergio Garcia told the Associated Press. "It's an asset, it's good for golf, it's good for the European Tour."

Seve Ballesteros' condition improving

La Paz hospital in Madrid, Spain, reports that the condition of golfing great Seve Ballesteros has improved as he attempts to recuperate from brain surgery, according to the AP.

The 51-year-old Ballesteros was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor earlier this month. The five-time major champion had already undergone two operations prior to last Friday's procedure to remove remaining tumor tissue.

Worth noting

• American Hunter Mahan defeated fellow countryman Anthony Kim on the second playoff hole to win Tuesday's Kiwi Challenge. Mahan carded a 7-under-par 65 to tie Kim and force a playoff in the second and final round at Cape Kidnappers course on New Zealand's North Island.

• Former No. 1-ranked junior Erik Compton, who has overcome two heart transplants to compete for a spot on the PGA Tour, and former eight-time PGA Tour winner Bob Tway have accepted sponsor's exemptions to play in the Children's Miracle Network Classic presented by Wal-Mart Nov. 6-9 at Walt Disney World Resort.

• Not to be overlooked from last week's Frys.com Open, Kevin Stadler began the tournament with a first-round 81 before returning in the second round to post a course-record-tying 61. The 20-stroke turnaround was the biggest on the PGA Tour since Jonathan Kaye went 83-62 at the 1999 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic. Stadler's two-day total of 142 still missed the cut.

October 28, 2008

Comments Leave a comment
Southern Pines Golf Package
Dates: any time
Includes one night lodging at the Comfort Inn, 18 Holes of Golf at Longleaf Golf & Country Club with Cart and Breakfast. Call Patty today at 866-998-8926 to make your reservations or to customize a spectacular golf getaway!
Price range: $75
Winston Salem Related Articles