« Tiger Woods: One of us! One of us!Barack Obama must give Nobel Prize money to Tiger Woods »

Comment from: Lance R [Visitor] Email
Wow,

It finally happened...Michelle Wie won an event. I actually predicted it, but not until 2010. In a way I am happy for her, although I still think she is and was the most over-hyped athelete in the history of modern sports.

Now that she has a win, will she resume the silly goal of competing against the men. Remember that just because she now has a win does not mean that she has a brain. This "win" that has evaded her for so many years my rekindle the preposturous theory that she can hang with the male golfers.

Lance....

P.S. Putt4par, are you out there...it finally happened...where are the Wiebots...Stanly...Norman???
11/16/09 @ 11:45
Comment from: Manynames [Visitor] Email
I think that her win was planned inside the LPGA. The girls knew if She won that they would make more money in the long run.
Wie did not play that well in her fourth round. She missed quite a few fairways and was lucky on the 18th hole. It's very well likely that when Wie was near the top of the leaderboard of a tournament all the other gals near the top would throw the match so that Wie would win so the LPGA would benefit. If you watched her play Sunday she really was not playing that well and her counterparts that usually play well down the stretch faltered. It really makes sense to me that this was planned by all the girls so they would get more exposure. The LPGA needed this outcome desperately.
11/16/09 @ 12:21
Comment from: Reader [Visitor]
By "Code Red" I suppose that could also allude to Stanford U. -- one an alum, and another a student. Oh, btw, the fact that on this same weekend, Stanford's football team dealt USC their biggest home loss in history completes the 3-pronged calamity. lol
11/16/09 @ 14:51
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Manynames,

I certainly am no fan of Bubbles, but it's a little silly to think that the whole tour conspired to throw the event to her. She was bound to win sooner or later. I mean, even a blind squirrel . . . .
11/16/09 @ 22:10
Comment from: Ray Jeske [Visitor] Email
Of course she will still compete against the men. It has always been one of her goals. This win is but a small item in a rather large check-list. Wie will continue to improve as a player, will continue on her trajectory toward all-time greatness, and that will occasionally test herself against the men.

After all, money makes the world go 'round, and more than a few Reno-Tahoe men's events will invite one of the world's biggest draws to boost their gate. It is inevitable. They need her. And she has an ambitious master plan. It all fits together.
11/17/09 @ 04:10
Comment from: Florida Mike [Visitor] Email
A conspiracy to throw the tournament. OMG, what an idiot.....
11/17/09 @ 14:46
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Judge Smails,

Yes, Bubbles won, of that there can be no doubt.

She won an invitational no-cut tournament against a field of thirty-five others, thirty-four of whom completed all four rounds.

Eight of those invited, including Bubbles, had never won an LPGA event regardless of the length of their careers.

The field at the Mexico tournament was about one-fourth the number of a regular LPGA event.

As an aside, several of Bubbles' Wiemaniacs used to say that when Bubbles came close to making a cut on the PGA tour, that that was a far greater accomplishment than winning any number of times on the LPGA tour.

Let's see it they chance their minds.
11/17/09 @ 14:52
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Alex,

I was not aware of those facts, and they certainly do lend perspective. Still, though, it's strange that the Wiebots haven't shown up here to crow and sing Bubbles' praises.

Maybe, realizing that the one they worshiped actually does bleed, they lost their faith and are now drowning their sorrows in a bottle.
11/17/09 @ 18:46
Comment from: JimC [Visitor] Email
The field was pretty much the top 31 players plus 5 sponsor's exemptions. Winning wasn't much easier than a regular event, and a little harder than the Samsung. It was also 72 holrs and not one of those 54 hole events.

This was another step in meeting the goals that Wie's critics set for her. It is an important monkey off here back. I would still say her coming close to making a PGA cut was a bigger accomplishment.

11/17/09 @ 19:17
Comment from: Lance R [Visitor] Email
Ray,

I agree that we will attempt to return to the men's circuit, but she has to first get some exemptions to play in those events. Even though she won an event and may be a little more mature than she was at 14, I still think she was playing better back then because she had no pressure.

That pressure will resume if she goes back against the men. Bubbles finished dead last (forget the cut) in several of final mens events that she entered. She may become a force in the LPGA, but she is and will always be just a novelty act on the PGA. Returning to that circuit would on damage her game as it did before.

LR
11/18/09 @ 01:19
Comment from: Ray Jeske [Visitor] Email
Lance,

I agree that in some respects Wie may have been playing better as a 14-16 year-old. Solheim captain Beth Daniel suggested the same, although I suspect Wie's short game is better now. That bunker shot on 18--under pressure-- was a thing of beauty. On the other hand, it may be that since the Solheim Wie has continued to improve beyond her previous best, and hence the win.

With regard to the men, I think Wie making cuts will one day become quite routine. Just how frequently she accepts exemptions into these is another issue, since she no longer is limited to 7 events a year on the LPGA. When such an invitation is extended, and it conflicts with an LPGA event, I rather expect she will generally play with the women. It seems she has quite become "one of the girls," and even something of "ambassador" status for their tour is inevitable. It seems to me that Wie and the LPGA have come to a kind of understanding that they need one another.

But Lance, I don't share your thought that playing with the men will negatively affect Wie's game. It could, but I rather suspect that with her ongoing maturation there will be a corresponding growth in her confidence, her comfort level with her own identity as a player. But of course we'll see over time how it actually plays out.

11/18/09 @ 03:15
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor] Email

God, I love the Wie-Bots.
11/18/09 @ 11:51
Comment from: Tom Collins [Visitor] Email
I think that contribution by manynames was absolutely hilarious. A conspiracy inside the LPGA to make sure that Wie would win to enhance their marketing efforts. Perhaps Michael Wahn is just thinking outside the box ahead of schedule. Although, if he really had marketing efforts in mind, he could've easily jacked-up the "five points of celebrity" methods introduced by previous commissioner Ty Votaw, and had Wie strip down to a bikini and roll around in the sand with the trophy after her win.

Just do it. Nike.

And I suppose we're all in for her giving the men's tour another go--which of course is completely justified when she's bound to miss the cut another 5 times--but I really hope she buckles down and keeps working on her game. It would be more inspiring in my mind for her to dominate the LPGA and try to amass a longer list of victories, ultimately reaching the top someday.
11/19/09 @ 01:21
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Judge Smails,

Well, Jim C, Wiebot numero uno, has spoken.

Even though the object of his devotion has finally won an LPGA tournament, albeit a no-cut, invitational with a sparse field of thirty-six golfers, only thirty-five of whom completed the four rounds, he has firmly stated that her first victory on the LPGA tour pales in comparison to her missed cut at the 2004 Sony. And who would know more of Bubbles' accomplishments than Jim C?

So it appears that until and unless she or some other female makes a cut on the PGA tour, Bubbles has achieved the ultimate in Golfdom. Bubbles, in the learned opinion of no less a Wie-wee than Jim C, has reached the Holy Grail, has climbed the Mount Everest in her chosen pastime.

Nothing achieved by Annika Sorenstam, Kathy Whitworth, or Patty Berg comes close to Bubbles' historic missed cut at the 2004 Sony.
And Lorena Ochoa is a mere blip on the radar screen of life. I mean, what has this low-brow Hispanic ever done that compares to missing a cut on Oahu?

With no more fields to conquer, Bubbles should be installed immediately in the Hall of Fame, since her remarkable missed cut on the PGA tour will never be equalled, unless, of course, she tries again and makes a cut on the PGA tour. If that ever happens, she should be added to the sculptures on Mount Rushmore.

Alex USMC 1969-73
11/19/09 @ 10:06
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
I wish Lorena had tried to play on the PGA when she waas at her peak--but political;y correct feminists don't want her to play against the men. Notice how they got to Annika so she only played once.

Actually I consider Wie's five straight stroke play events in 2006 where she finished within two shots of the lead every time to be a greater achievement than one win this year. But her critics wanted a win, and now she has gotten it.
11/19/09 @ 14:18
Comment from: coolio [Visitor] Email
All hail The Queen of MCs, DQs, and WDs!

Who? Bu88les, aka Winless Princess, of course!

Hahaha!

As soon as Bu88les has not everything handed to her on a silver plate, she quits, citing a fake injury.
11/19/09 @ 20:27
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Jim C,

Why do you assume that it was "politically correct" feminists who stopped Ochoa from competing on the PGA Tour? Did it ever occur to you that maybe she is a relatively sane lady who is satisfied to be a woman and who understands her place in the Universe?

I find this obsession with having women compete with men to be quite odd, and I think it could be suggestive of a psychological problem.
11/19/09 @ 21:14
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Oh, Jim, I should mention one more thing. I never said I wanted a win from Bubbles. I always said she would win eventually, and I made clear that I believe she has the capacity to be a top LPGA player. The only thing I ever took issue with was Bubbles' insistence on playing with the men, her entitlement attitude and the ridiculous fawning of the Wiebots.

Although it seems you Wiebots are trying to revise history, do remember that you expected Bubbles to be dominating the women's tour and successfully competing with the men long before now. I simply pointed out that the expectations — those of Bubbles and of her acolytes — were completely unrealistic and would not come to fruition. And I was right, am right and will always be right for a very simple reason: You cannot change the past.

Get a life and stop worshiping a silly media creation.
11/19/09 @ 21:26
Comment from: Lance R [Visitor] Email
Ray,

We can agree to disagree about the negative/positive effects that playing the men's circuit has with Bubbles. Women are equal to men in some games where strength is not an issue, like pool. I do not know her name, but watching the ESPN2 pool tournaments, their is a blond brittish gal that just does not miss at 9-ball. I would think she is as good as anyone.

But in golf or tennis, power is an advantage. So when Bubbles is teeing off against the men on a 7,400 yard course, she is going to attempt to put the ball in orbit from the tee box. I believe that this damages her game. She is trying to do something she can't, and loses her technique in the process.

time will tell - I just love it how the Wie bots are claiming that anti-wees are eating crow because of this win. If she failed to win until 2020, the same folks would be saying the same thing.

Lance
11/20/09 @ 17:30
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
"I made some really nice brownies, so after finishing those, I was very happy," ... "I made brownies, I made oatmeal raisin cookies, and I made myself a nice dress. It was a very productive morning"

Michelle Wie...20 years old going on 13!
04/19/10 @ 10:54