« Tiger Woods Update: Use of the phrase "Tiger Lurking" now bannedOh My God! Golf.com steals sacrilegious story idea from BadGolfer.com! »

Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
That's a twist. In his case, to what do we attribute the fatness? I remember the mullett as a 19-year old, NCAA long drive champ at Bermuda Run in 1986. He was lean. Since then, he has pounded brew after brew, smoked butt after butt, and eaten who knows how many gallons of chocolate gravy with biscuits. He has no self-control and surrounds himself with people who enable him, his own hillbilly posse. I cannot tell you scientifically how obesity comes about in all people, but in his case, it seems to be self-inflicted. Now, should we discover some deep and dark secret from his youth that has driven him to punish himself like this, we will have an answer. Until then, it hangs on him.
03/21/08 @ 21:38
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Ron,

Obesity or being overweight is not a moral failing. Nor is it something that gives people a free reign to mock. How Daly gained weight is moot to my point.

Bill
03/21/08 @ 21:52
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
There's a difference between making fun of your accountant for packing on the pounds and noting that an athlete has gotten out of shape.

If an athlete has gone downhill and their body with it, it makes perfect sense to connect the donuts.

If Lebron James showed up next season weighing 300 pounds and couldn't get double-doubles anymore, wouldn't you say the reason is obvious?
03/21/08 @ 22:50
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
I don't disagree with you, Brandon. However, writing "Daly is a big, fat snowball at this point," is not "noting that an athlete has gotten out of shape."

Bill
03/21/08 @ 23:06
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
I love how the Tampa Tribune "writer" can feel smug
calling Daly names but cannot tell the difference between "marred" and "mired."
03/21/08 @ 23:17
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Oh, what PC pap. Listen, I've never mocked Daly; I like him, in fact. As for the corpulent, two people very close to my heart have quite generous proportions and my favorite philosopher was huge. But let's not be ridiculous. Stigmas are the corollaries of virtues; if you're going to portray being fit as a positive, it goes without saying that its opposite, being unfit, will be cast as a negative.

As far as moral failings go, you are wrong. Gluttony is one of the Seven Deadly sins; thus, unless one's obesity is induced by a physical problem, it is most certainly a moral failing.

Expanding on this, note that self-destructive behaviors -- smoking or drinking in excess, taking drugs, gambling beyond one's means, etc. -- are always moral failings. And so is eating in excess.

Of course, someone who doesn't really know what morality is can't assess these things anyway. As Joseph Sobran said, "Liberals claim to want to do good while also claiming to not know what good is."

If you don't believe in Absolute Truth, you have no business making pronouncements about morality.
03/22/08 @ 11:26
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Ahh...and as I recall, Pride is also one of the
deadlies. And Judge Small, you have demonstrated
more of that than any other denizen of these blogs.
Sorry about that giant stone on your back, but I bet
you find a lot of loose coins that way.
03/22/08 @ 15:53
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Kiel,

I have a plenitude of faults, but that's not the issue here, is it? Hey, maybe I'm a horrible person, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong if I say that 2+2=4. The truth is the truth, and what I said is airtight.
03/22/08 @ 17:58
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Spoof blog. John Daly is fat. Fact.
03/22/08 @ 18:29
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Spoof blog. John Daly is fat. Fact.

It is absolutely not a spoof or satire in any way. If a writer would put, for (a rather weak) example "John Daly is fat and unable to play to the best of his abilities" that is one thing.

But as I wrote, using "fat" as a derisive adjective is being hurtful not just to him, but to many others. The uber-clever "Animal House" reference of "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son" is being used to be insulting. It's using name-calling to make a point.

Bill
03/22/08 @ 19:56
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
coolio,

Before you get holier-than-thou, note that when you speak of "controlling urges," there are more urges than just that to eat. I'll also note that most of the people who castigate the corpulent show precious little restraint in their own lives. For instance, while they are quick to cast judgment with respect to gluttony, their own lust doesn't even register on their radar screen. Of course, in our libertine age, such a fault goes largely unnoticed (that is, unless you're a politician who breaks up prostitution rings and then involves himself in one). But as G.K. Chesterton once said, "A fallacy doesn't cease to be a fallacy because it becomes a fashion."

You might want to examine the log in your own eye.
03/24/08 @ 10:11