« Tired of hearing about Lorena Ochoa? Read the L.A. TimesChris Baldwin may be a conservative crackpot, but he knew my "Tiger Woods undefeated in 2008" prediction was pure gold »

Comment from: Rolf [Visitor] Email
of COURSE Tiger Woods changed the world in 10 years (!) he changed it in ONE ! do you not remember what a huge deal it was when he showed up and (with his father, by example) showed us all how GOOD it was possible to be, how young it was possible to be that good at, and how fuly it was possible to give yourself to your chosen life?? those were ABSOLUTELY transforming lessons that the entire world absorbed - and of course having a human being so universally revered and admired so ENDLESSLY in the public eye, who ALSO happened to be a person of color, transformed for an entire generation the EXPECTATION of what 'normality' is - the generation that is lifting Obama to prominance IS the 'Tiger' generation - don't be willfully obtuse - of COURSE Tiger Woods (and Michael Jordan, and Colin Powell, and MLK, and Mahatma Ghandi, etc etc) 'paved the way' for Barack Obama - of COURSE they did
02/28/08 @ 07:36
Comment from: Armstrong [Visitor] Email
Nice write up though I tend to disagree with you.
Though I did not read the stories you were referring
to, I think I can follow the train of thought, and
that is that colour has no boundaries. The time has
come when the limitations placed on one because of
their colour is all but over. One main fact that is
usually overlooked, but Tiger is the ONLY black golfer
with a tour card ( in US or here in Europe), reasons of w
of which we could start a whole new blog on. Not so
long ago golf was not considered a black sport because
brute ( also can be translated to be dumb) strength was
was less needed. One needed grace, strategy etc. Not
that this was not in other sports but in golf its
more dominate. I think that thats where they are going
with the Tiger story. If we can look past his color
and see a kid ( who happens to be 50% black) play
golf in such a way that the veterens of old are saying
this kid is great, then America can look past Obama
and his complexion and see him for what he is, not a black man, but simply.........a man.
02/28/08 @ 10:22
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
I have to agree with 'Armstrong' - we should all simply see Barak Hussein Obama as a MAN. One particularly unsuited to be PRESIDENT, but a man none the less.

And if you think I'm saying that because I'm "racist" - well, sorry. I would vote for Colin Powell in a split second...and if Condoleeza Rice had chosen to run, would vote for her as well. It's not RACE - it's IDEOLOGY.
02/28/08 @ 13:37
Comment from: 108Billy [Visitor] Email
Did I just read something about Obama being Black?

I had no idea he was.....Bill Clinton is WAY more 'black' IMHO.
02/28/08 @ 22:16
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor]
Armstrong - you might want to read Wolfrum's "The discussion of diversity in golf is over" - Jan. 19 2008.
02/29/08 @ 10:19
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Wolfrum is right about this. And if some of you ascribe to Woods this transcendent influence, it's only because you're Woods sycophants and he is larger than life to you.

There weren't that many Americans who wouldn't vote for a black man (percentage-wise) before Woods' ascendancy, and there aren't that many now. Woods, although the greatest golfer who ever lived, just isn't that important. I Hate to break it to you.
03/01/08 @ 15:41
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
So how come poor Bambergergerger gets his name mispelled twice? Doesn't he merit a spell-check?
03/01/08 @ 19:45
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email

Good catch Jen. I need to remember to use that in my upcoming book "Jennifer Mario: The Making of a Pulitzer Prize Winner"

--WKW
03/01/08 @ 23:56
Comment from: BJ [Visitor] Email
So who are you kidding? You guys all do this for hits - drive people to the web site - that's what it's all about, and you're all guilty of it and undoubtedly will not give it up. You'd use your own grandmother's name to get hits, if it the recognition would google. From Webster: ignore - to be ignorant of, which is exactly what I plan to do of any blogs on golf with politics or politicos in the title.
03/03/08 @ 14:41
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
Hmm. It does have a nice ring to it.
03/03/08 @ 19:19
Comment from: IntelliTurf [Visitor] Email
Tiger learned from MJ and will continue to stay away from politics. Hollywood has done a great job getting young people used to the idea of voting for things they see on T.V. Now Obama may just win because of young people and this popularity contest the media has created. Tiger had nothing to do with this, thankfully he is above politics and hopefully he will stay up there.
03/07/08 @ 22:17