« If you don't like Rory Sabbatini, golf may be too high-octane for youFedEx Cup ennui - nothing some gunplay wouldn't fix »

Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
"Contrived" is a funny word. I think that there has to be a lack of one's own integrity to be contrived. I think that the way out for the tour is that, rather than drag their feet the way that college football does on the playoff system, they built a model and will bend it over time. With the other tour, Wie used to be a huge draw, and they were not banking on her going into the tank and emerging as a frail, emotional wreck. Evidently, having a father who was a green beret is better than having one with a PH.D. in hotel management, or some such advanced degree.
08/27/07 @ 08:57
WKW,

The Samsung committee's premature and nonsensical invitation to Bubbles has been discussed on these boards several times.

I realize that sponsors have a certain amount of leeway in granting exemptions, but it was absurd to extend one to Bubbles in a limited 20 player field.

She couldn't have had a poorer season if she had tried. The committee gave her the freebie two weeks before she ever swung a club in an LPGA event, and more than four months after her last round of competitive golf, her missed cut at the Sony.

If Bubbles and her machine don't have the good sense to graciously withdraw, the Samsung committee should do it for them.

Otherwise, the Samsung will be a farce.
08/27/07 @ 09:54
Comment from: Irma [Visitor] Email
Can the Samsung people withdraw the invitation? Or will they get in worst trouble? Not only legally but exposure wise with the media and fans.

Nonetheless.... it is always a fun tournament to watch.

And congratulations to Lorena on her third straight win.
08/27/07 @ 10:44
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor] Email
Alex,

I totally agree with you, and think it is worthy of even more discussion, as this event is supposed to mean something to the LPGA. Everyone involved looks bad at this point.

We'll see what happens. After the year Wie has had - especially with the 88-rule WD - it would see ma PR no-brainer to have her stand up and say she will not play because she has not earned it and her game has not deserved such an honor.

It would seem a very smart and easy way for her to begin the healing process for her persona. Taking even a little personal responsibility goes a long way amongst American sports fans and writers.

With how she's been managed and marketed, however, it's doubtful. She'll play, giggle off a couple 78s and further damage her future and how golf fans view her.

--WKW
08/27/07 @ 10:51
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
If she doesn't with draw, I wonder who will be the unlucky #20 in the rankings?
08/27/07 @ 11:00
Comment from: smudge [Visitor]
Well, if she doesn't do the right thing and withdraw at least the Wie Warriors will be able to get a boost from her making a second cut this year....what a joke. I mean it is a finle line between being one of the best 20 women in the world and someone who, as a professional, can't break par.
08/27/07 @ 11:28
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Since her college career is scheduled to begin on September 24th, she has the perfect "out" to decline the invitation to the Samsung. You know, she hasn't had time to practice due to the hectic time she had registering, she is just getting used to her college regimen, etc.

If the Wie machine doesn't take the road, it wouldn't surprise most people.

08/27/07 @ 11:56
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
If I were Michelle I'd be all into having fun at Stanford right now.
08/27/07 @ 12:33
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
Samsung should cancel their sponsorship of the event just to prevent getting criticized, and god forbid, people boycotting their products.

Then it will be a non-issue.

As far as losing the event goes - well, you can't win it all....

Or maybe the other 20 players can withdraw to protest....
08/27/07 @ 13:16
Comment from: Irma [Visitor] Email
I do not know about you. But I would prefer Samsung invite Annika in case she is not in the top 20 this year. We all know that she has been injured but plays her heart out. The Samsung would not be the same withouth her there
08/27/07 @ 13:33
Comment from: smudge [Visitor]
I have not researched this at all, but it sure seems odd that a world championship type filed allows for sponsors exemptions. Even so, I concur with inviting Annika is she would not earn her way in because of her off year. I would think anyone would agree that the best female golfer in the last however many years deserves a spot over a has been teen who has never earned a spot to play in anything.
08/27/07 @ 14:20
smudge,

Annika certainly would deserve to be invited as a sponsor's exemption to any FULL FIELD tournament to which she somehow does not qualify.

But definitely not to a 20 player field that advertises itself as the "fifth major."

Traditionally the Samsung was to include the winners of the four majors, the leading golfer on the LET, and the remainder of the field of the leading money winners on the LPGA tour who were not otherwise qualified.

Last year, Bubbles was put in the field even though not an LPGA member, the justification being that her money winnings would have placed her in the field if she had been a member.

Nothing can be construed as justification for Bubbles being granted an exemption this year, and thus depriving a far more deserving golfer, possibly even a winner on the LPGA tour, of her rightful spot in the small and elite field
08/27/07 @ 15:25
Comment from: Rich James [Visitor] Email
OK, Michelle isn't having a great year due to her injuries, but the sponsors know that she will draw in the crowds. I hope she shows everyone by doing well. I'm sick of all the non-wie fans that trash her. Go get um Michelle!!!!!!!
08/27/07 @ 15:46
Rich James,

You're surely joking, no? You can't possibly be serious. If you are serious with your comments, you need intense psychotherapy.

One thing with which I agree is that Bubbles didn't have a GREAT year. As a matter of fact, she didn't have a mediocre year or even a poor year. Her year was and is abysmal.

And what's this reference to her "injuries/" Did she have more than one debilitating "injury" in 2007? I was under the impression that the "fall' in Hawaii or Palo Alto, or wherever was her only life-threatening injury.

Rich, what is your definition of "doing well?"

In a 20 player field, "doing well" would be in the top five or 25%. Bubbles' chances of being in the top five of that field are between slim and none and slim just left town.
08/27/07 @ 16:21
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
Alex,
I think last October when MW was "on top of her game" she finished 17th out of the 20 golfers at the Samsung. Due to what has happened recently, it is a sobering thought that Ochoa could nearly give Michelle 1 stroke a hole and still beat her. I can hardly wait to hear the reason why she is not going to join the LPGA in October.
08/27/07 @ 16:47
Comment from: Ray [Visitor] Email
I'm with you Joe Cool. I don't think she is going to try LPGA Q-School either. After the reaction the Samsung exemption is getting, hopefully the 4 majors have their ears perked up. She hasn't qualified for any of them next year and it is time for the sponsors exemptions too go to other young girls. I really do believe that the Wie camp thinks they can just continue on with the status quo and thumb their noses at the qualifying process. I think the LPGA finally realizes though that they have enough stars too market who are every bit the player and draw she is (if not more). Trust me, people aren't just there to see a lady bomb the ball. If that was the case Sophie Gustafson would have the biggest crowds. The hype and drawing power of Wie was she was supposed to be great. If she is not going to be above the fray, she doesn't have John Daly personality too pull them in.
08/28/07 @ 03:45
Comment from: Florida Mike [Visitor] Email
She was given the exemption before her troubles started this year. I agree that she should politely decline this year. I also believe that her game will improve to be once again the awe inspiring phenomenon it once was. Then all you web-trolls can go back to spitting out your vitriolic bile. Till then.......
08/28/07 @ 11:29
Florida Mike,

Come on, Mike. I don't see any vitriol here.

Isn't it a bit much to refer to Bubbles' golf game as an "awe-inspiring phenomenon?"

It's also a bit of a stretch to say that she was given an exemption before "her troubles" started this year. She was given the exemption two weeks before she even swung a club in an LPGA event. Wouldn't you say that was a little premature?
08/28/07 @ 11:52
Comment from: JoltinJoe [Visitor] Email
"I also believe that her game will improve to be once again the awe inspiring phenomenon it once was"

Florida Mike, the only thing that inspires "awe" is winning. Imagine Tiger Woods had 13 second place finishes instead of 13 major titles. Would that inspire any "awe"?
08/28/07 @ 16:20
Joltin Joe,

Bubbles' would not only inspire awe to a guy like Florida Mike, she HAS inspired awe with Florida Mike.

Lf Bubbles ever makes another cut, Mike will be even more awe-inspired.

It doesn't take much for a Wie Warrior to be awe-inspired.
08/28/07 @ 16:29
Comment from: Florida Mike [Visitor] Email
To Reply: From 2003 to 2006(barring the B-Open and evian) her game was awe inspiring. It is the single cause of my then 14 y/o daughter learning to play and for that I will always be grateful. I do not agree with all of her career decisions and I certainly do not stipulate that her game now is anything but dismal. I do wish she would concentrate on getting back to form and I do think she should get a new coach (Ledbetter is part of the problem-as in increasing her distance messed with an integral part of her swing.) But you trolls were bashing her back when she was 13 and continue to this day.
08/28/07 @ 16:40
Florida Mike,

You're wrong again. I personally never had a harsh word for Bubbles when she was thirteen.

I have only been a Wie skeptic for about two, since she started making all the claims about playing in the Masters', the Ryder Cup team, etc.

The real phenomenon here is the fact that you and a few other diehard Wie-wee's refuse to accept the obvious, that Bubbles is not now, nor never will be the world beater that she was made out to be.

Mikey my man, you've been taken for a sucker by the Wie publicity machine. The sooner that you realize as much and admit it, the better for your psyche.

Your daughter can always find a better role model.
08/28/07 @ 17:43
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Patricia said: "If I were Michelle I'd be all into having fun at Stanford right now."
_______________

Patricia,
Michelle is a professional golfer. Paula Creamer and other professional golfers work their butts off to get their games into shape.
If you want to be a top level golfer there is no room for pissing about the place. It takes hard work and dedication to be among the best. MW might be more talented than the other players but those will talent still have to practice.
08/28/07 @ 19:18
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Paticia,
I should have added she is a professional, not an amateur. That means it is her job.
08/28/07 @ 19:18
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Alex said: "In a 20 player field, "doing well" would be in the top five or 25%. "
____________

Not true Alex.
Given that you have said she doesn't belong in the field because they are the 20 best and you are using that as a reason, then beating half that field would really make a complete mess of your argument. Think about it, you said that she didn't belong with those players because they are so good, so surely if she beats half of them or more, you will admit you were wrong.

By the way, I don't expect her to beat half of them at the Samsung, so you will probably be safe from doing a U-Turn, but go on Alex, admit it, if she beat half the players you would be very surprised. Admit it.
08/28/07 @ 19:25
Stanley,

If it were anybody but Bubbles with her abysmal 2007 record, that person would never be in the field. I would indeed be surprised if someone so eminently unqualified had the gall to even tee it up in a 20 player field.

AS for where Bubbles might place, My answer was to Rich's fervent hope that Bubbles would surprise everyone by doing well. I never said I expect her do do anything but continue her dismal play.

You seemed to have a similar position a few days ago when you had written off Bubbles as a malingering slacker who didn't take her practice seriously. What happened to change your mind?
08/28/07 @ 20:25
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Stanley,

A good showing by Bubbles would not invalidate the argument that she doesn't belong in the tournament. As I have said before, sample variance comes into play, so it's conceivable that an unqualified individual could do well in an event; the fact remains, however, that the last year's results make it obvious that an invitation is unwarranted.
08/29/07 @ 11:35
Judge Smails,

A week ago, I had some hope for Stanley when he said that he had become disillusioned with Bubbles do to her poor work ethic and lack of dedication among other things.

Now, he has reverted to form, and is making all sotrs of excuses for his idol. There can be no salvation for these unreconstructed Wiebots until they realize how badly they've been duped.

These guys remind me of those hundreds of people who a few decades ago had been conned by pyramid schemes like Dare to be Great, Ammway, Koscot, and others.

Even when shown irrefutable evidence that they had been swindled, the majority were still convinced that the high-powered salesman who sold them a bill of goods was really a nice guy, and that they hadn't worked hard enough at selling further franchises.

The Wie-wee's like Stanley have bought the whole Bubbles shebang and they will ride it out to the bitter end.
08/29/07 @ 14:45
error: due, sorts
08/29/07 @ 14:47
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Alex,

Yes, ego is a funny thing. Pride goeth before the fall, and it's very hard for many people to admit that they've acted foolishly.
08/29/07 @ 21:37
Comment from: Lance R. [Visitor] Email
Stanley,

I am actually glad to see that you are back in Wie's corner, although I think the argument here was more directed at why she was invited instead of how well she will perform, But speaking of how well she will do against these other ladies is an interesting topic as well. I do not think she will come in last like she did in back-to-back men's events last year, but I would bet she will be close. I am predicting she will come in about 18th.

LR
08/30/07 @ 06:52
Lance R.,

If the Samsung committee doesn't have the good sense to rescind its exemption to Bubbles, and if she and her cabal don't have the decency to decline the invitation and she actually tees it up at the 2007 Samsung, the Wiebots like Stanley will have multiple causes for rejoicing.

1)Bubbles will definitely not miss another cut. She will play the weekend and draw in those overflow crowds of admirers on Saturday and Sunday.

2)She will have her best finish in an LPGA eventin a year regardless of what she shoots or where she finishes.

3)She will cash her largest paycheck of the year no matter if she ends up in last place.

And,4)If she would happen to score better than even one of the other ladies, that will be proof positive to the Wiebots that Bubbles is on her way to the top, since she outscored one of the top nineteen woman golfers in the world

So even though it would be a sign of good sportsmanship and a sense of fairness for Bubbles to graciously decline the ill-timed invitation to the Samsung, WKW is probably right. Look for her to embarrass herselffurther at the Samsung.
08/30/07 @ 09:20
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
I know who is going to finish last.....
08/31/07 @ 05:22
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Alex,
I didn't change my mind on Michelle.
I simply don't know what she is doing. For all I know she could be at the Big Horn course practicing away in anticipation of the Samsung event.

The difficulty is her team don't release any information. I don't want specific details about where she is or anything like that, but it would be nice to know, is she practicing, what are her intentions after the Samsung, will she play more events.

I am also annoyed that when she was asked questions about if she would be able to practice with the golf team and she didn't know and said she would just have to find out later.
These things are not good enough. A champion like Tiger would know the answer to these questions and would have a plan laid out. That is what p*s me off about the Wie's sometimes. They make so many errors in things like scheduling and then they don't even know what the deal is with Stanford. They should know exactly what the plan is and not just be taking it as it comes. That is not good enough.
09/05/07 @ 11:03
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Lance R said:
I am actually glad to see that you are back in Wie's corner
_________________________

Lance,
I am more for Michelle than against her, but if they do stupid things, I don't mind saying it.
The whole Stanford thing is a joke. She is not an amateur golfer, she is a professional golfer and she should take that seriously.
It is her job.
09/05/07 @ 11:07
Stanley,

---"the whole Stanford thing is a joke"---

Your statement is indeed a first.

Never before in my life have I ever heard anyone say that applying for admission to a prestigious institution of learning, beinf accepted by that institution, enrolling at that university, attending classes, and eventually graduating with a degree from a top-rated college like Stanford waqs "a joke."

If her chosen "job" of being a professional golfer isn't working out too well, perhaps it is time for her to change careers and start behaving as an eighteen-year-old girl should act.
09/10/07 @ 15:17
Comment from: Stanley [Visitor] Email
Alex,
The opinions I expressed about Stanford are opinions that many other people agree with.

As you said, her chosen job is a professional golfer. Note the word professional. She is not an amateur and not eligible to play on any Stanford golf teams.

Golf is not an easy game. If you have the ambition in the game that she has stated she has, don't you think it might be a good idea to concentrate on the game of golf?
09/11/07 @ 09:24
tanley,

If your opinion is that attending a prestigious university such as Stanford is "a joke", and if you supposedly have others that agree with you, then I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do for you.

And further, if you honestly believe that it is proper and sensible for ANY sixteen-year-old girl to annouce herself as a professional in any walk of life, then your definition of propriety differs 180 degrees from mine.

Good grief Stanley, what further disasters must befall Bubbles for guys like you to realize that her career has been an unmitigated failure? Wake up, my man!
09/11/07 @ 13:20
Comment from: Dewey Cheatham [Visitor]
this is such a great tournament. I have been to this tournament a one time and it was awesome. these girls have alot of talent.
07/06/09 @ 21:22
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
09/05/09 @ 04:20
Comment from: Chuck Stuckweather [Visitor]
10/26/09 @ 13:33
Comment from: Lou Ser [Visitor] Email
i am actually glad to see that you are back in Wie's corner
12/31/09 @ 22:02