« Tiger Woods leaves Doral, and 'Tiger's slumping' stories in shamblesUsing steroids a no-brainer at the Golfer Supremacy Rankings »

Comment from: Shanks [Visitor] Email
Amen, brother. Arguably the greatest golf writer in history - Bernard Darwin - never spoke to the golfers when doing his writing. He was a very accomplished amateur golfer when that still meant something and didn't really need to rely on information from others. He would just walk the course during competition and make observations. Imagine that. Sadly, most of today's writers are double-digit handicappers and many are star-struck to boot
03/22/07 @ 09:15
Comment from: patricia [Visitor] Email
Well said.

Models complain about their cake jobs too. They should try a couple of days as a commercial fisherman. I mean fisherperson.
03/22/07 @ 10:19
Comment from: lklndjo [Visitor] Email
Perhaps writing a blog is easy, but I can tell you that fighting a deadline for an AM paper is not. You have to be fast, accurate and possess the ability to write tight. You're right. A blogger only has to show up, have an opinion and only a casual interest in the facts. Then type something, send it and go home. That is a great gig.
If you had bothered to research the facts a few things may have popped out at you. Such as, Singh was unceremoniously botted off the Austalasian Tour for cheating. Talk about class, as he was leaving Augusta National on what should have been his crowning achievement, he paused and yelled at the top of his lungs, "you can all eat @#$%" in the direction of the media center. This certainly inspired those who were fighting the deadline to regard him in a less than glowing light.
All Vijay is doing now is reaping what he has sown. For the rest of his career and beyond he'll be remembered as a player who was fairly branded as a cheater and a champion with class, albeit the lowest form.
03/22/07 @ 16:01
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
Some of what Vijay is reaping now is a great deal of respect from Michelle Wie fans for his support. I guess Vijay didn't buy the PC line that Michelle Wie needs to win on the LPGA first out of respect for LPGA champions like Annika.
03/22/07 @ 19:55
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Yeah, yeah, lklndjo...I've seen you/those "deadline" writers sitting on your/their fat behinds in the air-conditioned press trailers, watching all the action on tv monitors and then crowding into the interview room to ask the stupidest possible questions --
the sort of questions no one who'd bothered to set foot on the course would
ever ask. And BTW, Singh did not yell any comment, and especially not that
one. My colleague (who was actually there lklndjo, were you?) reported that Singh muttered, "You can all kiss my ass." Certainly not warm and fuzzy, but considering
that people of color have not always been accepted at The National, and that
the press questioned his major-winner status at every turn, it was understandable.

And BTW, I've covered majors, I've covered seniors, I've covered LPGA, and I've covered silly-season events, both with and without deadlines. And I will tell you that in
all of those cases, I was the ONLY member of the press to walk the entire course with players on all days of the events. And as Shanks notes, I got the best information
from watching and thinking, not relying on answers from tired pros to knuckle-headed questions from sportswriters who mainly carry their own cushions around in their pants with them.
03/22/07 @ 23:10
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Hey, you'll get no argument from me, Wolfie. If you can do it, anyone can.
03/23/07 @ 00:10
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email

This is by no means as hard as you'd like to make it out to be. Plus, did you notice that golf events end before it's dark? And it's really no grand achievement to have your story basically written in your head/notebook by the time the final putt falls. And everything happens in front of you. It's not like the Dow Jones falls 15 points and you have to analyze why, and get authoritative opinions before you post a story.

Aside from that, what Kiel said.

You sort of missed a main point I made early in the blog.

All Vijay is doing now is reaping what he has sown.

So you believe a sportswriter's job is to always make sure some type of karmic justice is upheld?

Hey, you'll get no argument from me, Wolfie. If you can do it, anyone can.

(Grudgingly) Well played.

--WKW
03/23/07 @ 07:00
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
I am in complete agreement. I can not stand it when the media view themselves as doing God's bidding - just look a those nightly news of the major networks.

Just as much as I do not expect a private audience with some famous people, I do not understand why the media think the celebrities owed them something. Last I checked, journalism does not have to go through vigorous certification/qualification test. Any Tom, Dick, and Jerry can do it as long as they are hired by a media outlet - On second thought, you don't even need to be hired if you are a freelancer.

Yes, above is my 'editorial comment'....Perhaps that makes me an 'editor'.
03/23/07 @ 07:37
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
Judge Smails,

Leave it to Jim C to inject Bubbles into the discussion regardless of the subject of the blog.
03/23/07 @ 12:01
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Alex,

Perhaps he has Bubbles in his head.
03/23/07 @ 13:42
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
Sorry lklndjo, but I do not agree with this statement: "A blogger only has to show up, have an opinion and only a casual interest in the facts. Then type something, send it and go home. That is a great gig."

Being a blogger isn't necessarily easy...

I take my blog very seriously and the only reason I even continue to write about golf is because I really love it. For those people who think it only takes a few minutes to write a quality blog, think again. During my twelve hours/6 days per wk on my current job I am always thinking about what interests me this week and how to relay it to my readers.

I don't know how long it's supposed to take to write a blog but mine usually take several hours of writing, rewriting and then re-reading several times to make sure the details are in order. Hardly a "type it and then go home" ideology.
03/23/07 @ 13:55
Comment from: RonMon [Visitor] Email
A) I love when Alex and Judge Smails carry on their romance in the sub-blog of the commentary. It's like meta-blogging.

B) Sportswriting IS easy...who writes sports because "it's a living"? People work in fields, factories, and streets because it pays enough. They choose to write sports. If their language skills suck turpentine, then they get fired. If you don't know how to use Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, they you shouldn't be writing sports. If you don't know how to read the works of others in the time that you are not writing and watching events (and avoid plagiarizing) then you shouldn't be writing sports.

C) Sportswriting as Rick Reilly and Tom Chiarella have perfected IS difficult. There are others who write at their level, but redundancy and repetition are unnecessary (unlike most of my blogs)

D) Some of us who blog are mildly or severely inspired by blog thoughts at all hours of the day, and just poop them out into our laptops or desktops. If Stacy truly works at her blog with due diligence, then my toupee is off to her.
03/24/07 @ 06:36
Comment from: david cummings [Visitor] Email
My inspired blog thought for the day...where do I sign up. Please, please let me cover sports all day. I will honestly do it for chump-change, but I will not, will not, definitely will not pay you. I am broke all the time or I would. I love sports even though it is so superficial to girls and academians. I'm such an addicted sports fanatic from the South that I even went to the RBC Center in Raleigh to experience outside on a big TV screen last year the Hurricanes winning (can't say whipping butt) in some artic Indian semi-sport. You might have seen me screaming, jumping up and down in the background on Canadian TV. Go 'Canes!! Until I know all the rules, hockey is the same as lacrosse without icing. So move me to Denver and I'll cover the Broncos for free... I mean, I'll do it for whatever you get. I'll even cover golf.
03/25/07 @ 22:05