« Tiger Woods the best ever? Or, why ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski isn't fit to carry my jockWordGolf.com blogger Spencer Hux: Genocidal madman, or golf loving victim of a complaint generator? »

Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
I do not know why you have to talk about boxing as if the ultimate sport is one where men try to give other men concussions? Tiger Woods is not the world's best boxer or any sort of boxer at all, and thank God for that.
08/20/06 @ 20:46
Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
Again, this is horse crap. Tiger Woods is NOT the world's best athlete. Tiger Woods is the world's best 'competitor.' He competes at his area of expertise better than any other 'competitor' in the world. I guarantee that I can find some Kung-Fu fighter from the streets of southeast Asia, a decathlete from an indo-european country, or some other 'athlete' who is a better 'athlete' than Tiger Woods.
08/21/06 @ 07:27
Comment from: Booger [Visitor]
I agree with the Monkey here. Tiger makes sure that he posts a steady 68 knowing full well everyone near him will not break par, especially if they shot 65 or 66 the day before.
08/21/06 @ 10:39
Comment from: jaypee [Visitor]
whoops ! Did you notice how close Shaun Micheel came to winning his second PGA ? Thanks Tiger.
08/21/06 @ 11:39
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Anyone remember when Wilt Chamberlain decided to turn heavyweight boxer? An unranked pug knocked Wilt over the ropes and into the third row. Or how about Michael Jordan's PGA aspirations? Or his Major League baseball plans?

Tiger is the best golfer since Jack, and may be the best golfer ever. Sam and Arnold and Bobby and a number of others are still viable candidates. Maybe Michelle? Who knows.

Best current golfer? Yes. Best athlete? Possible, but doesn't seem likely.
08/21/06 @ 17:34
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
"Too Tall" Jones won all his fights in 1979 (6-0), but his opponents were hand-picked novice club fighters. He went back to pro football after his brief boxing adventure.

The fight that "never happened" was Ali vs. Wilt. Wilt fought a seasoned, though unranked, heavyweight in Houston in a "smoker" venue. This was one of a number of warm-up fights Bob Arum had set up with fighters from Hugh Benbow's stable. It was a disaster for Wilt, but, on the bright side, probably kept Wilt from getting his brains scrambled by Ali.

A few months later, Ali was beaten by Fraser. Wilt's "party line" was that he would not fight Ali because Ali had lost the title. But Wilt wisely said "no mas" after the Houston smoker.

If Wilt had learned the scores of essential boxing skills, and had six to eight years of boxing experience under his belt, he'd have been hard to handle in the ring. But he had zip, zero, nada boxing experience when he decided to fight Ali. He didn't have a snowball"s chance in hell against any skilled fighter, let alone Ali.

Take the best athlete you know (who has NEVER played golf) and put him up against any competent assistant PGA pro in the country on the golf course. Who's going to win every time? Same deal in boxing.
08/21/06 @ 20:37
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Very nice, Mr. Rheel.

Perhaps it was stuck in my mind that Jones lost, because he was in fact dropped, and on national TV. I do seem to recall he got the nod, but it was a debacle and he hung up his gloves.

His reputation didn't take much of a hit, if I recall, as for the most part, people will be willing to give an athlete who tries boxing respect for the effort. Kendall Gill is the latest to try, but has made it clear it's a hobby.

The only non-traditional boxer to really get grief for boxing was Mickey Rourke, who was just a hideous fighter. Really not even good as a sideshow.

I will confess that as the Wilt- Ali thing was before my time, I was unaware Chamberlain even tried to box, and would love to see if you had some type of link that had any info on that. Or was it in his book? Being a "smoker," as you say, there would obviously be no pictures or even reports of it. And, as an aside, I've always loved the term "smoker" for an unsanctioned, basically illegal fight.

Chamberlain was truly a fascinating guy, and, as we all know from the salacious parts of his book, had an ego that couldn't even fit in his massive frame.

My point, however, with Tiger is: If Earl Woods had adored baseball, football, basketball, etc., Tiger would have been a standout in any one of those sports. It doesn't take a leap of imagination to see Tiger as a QB, tailback, shortstop, etc. Truly, however, golf was the sport he was born for, as he has the perfect complement of gifts that have taken him to where he is today.

--WKW
08/21/06 @ 21:11
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
There's no doubt in my mind that if Tiger had loved boxing, and Earl had guided him from age 3 on; Tiger would have been a beast in the ring, or in any other pursuit he attacked.

Pounded Google for a link to Wilt's first fight, but came up empty. I have heard the account from a number of boxing notables, including a close associate of Bob Arum. My understanding is that Arum viewed the fight as a multi-million dollar loss for him, and did his best to spike the story; hoping to convince Wilt to continue.

Wilt really thought he had a chance against Ali until the smoker. Once he got the message, to his credit, he wanted nothing to do with the fight or the money. Wilt was probably smart enough to know that, for Wilt's first few fights, Arum was going to wind up with the lions share (read ALL) of the money anyway.

I'll dig around some more. If I find a link I'll post it.
08/21/06 @ 22:30
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
Did you just throw Michelle "the winless wonder" Wie in a discussion of greatest golfers ever?

One of these things is not like the other...Woods, Nicklaus, Snead, Palmer, Wie...
08/22/06 @ 09:12
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
All listed were winless as pros at age sixteen. MW has come closest to winning at 14, 15, 16. You know, "who knows"? Only you?
08/22/06 @ 11:51
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
With each keystroke you sink further and further...
08/22/06 @ 12:26
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
History judges us by what we do in life, not what we almost do. If the opposite was the case we would all know the name of the man who almost broke the 4 minute mile, not Roger Bannister. Michelle Wie has no place on a list of the greatest golfers to ever play the game, at the very least you can admit that and move on.
08/22/06 @ 15:16
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Ford

You seem to have a "bean counter" mentality. Nothing is extraordinary until all the little beans have been counted and recounted. Others of us can see greatness in the making. We get great enjoyment out of the process of watching a brilliant talent grow. You can't see MW's brilliance? I can believe that.

People like us feel sorry for people like you.
08/22/06 @ 16:17
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Boxing at the highest levels requires more skill, courage, endurance, tenacity, hand-eye coordination, strength, and agility, among other things, than any other athletic endeavor. The grueling training that a first-rate boxer undergoes is unrivaled in any sport. It is because of how strenuous boxing is that the sport has been the virtually exclusive property of the underprivileged in our society and worldwide, the poor if you will. I doubt very seriously if there is a golfer off any age who could briskly spar three three-minute rounds without being on the verge of collapse. My only experience in the "sweet science" as a competitor came close to forty years ago in interbrigade bouts in the USMC. Those battles were TOUGH. I doubt very seriously whether a guy like Woods, raised as he was as an only child of considerable privilege, would have or could have been a success as a boxer. He would have been a lot smarter than that. Golf is a hell of a lot easier and more lucrative than pro boxing and one can compete in golf quite successfully well into the 50's and even the 60's.
08/22/06 @ 17:47
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
I think if TW had applied the same discipline, athleticism, and sheer-will to boxing (from a very young age, ala Ali) he'd have been another Sugar Ray Robinson.

Was Earl too smart to let that happen? Yes, of course.
08/22/06 @ 19:20
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
"People like us feel sorry for people like you"

What a sad comment. This discussion is between me and you, adding "us" to make your argument seem stronger is pretty pathetic. Judging by your comments, I would be willing to bet you have never been a part of any group or "us" that anybody would give a shit about. Bet it makes you feel good to sit behind your computer and tell somebody off and pretend that you are part of a group for once in your sad little life.

For the record, I never said I didn't respect or recognize Michelle Wie's talent, I simply said that she doesn't belong in a conversation with the greats of the game--Find me somebody that disagrees with that statement and I'll concede you are part of an "us", you tiny insect.
08/22/06 @ 23:16
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Ford

Gee, I guess I should have realized that the painfully obvious could actually sail right over your capacity to perceive.

There are two groups who gather on these blogs:
1. Wie Supporters.
2. Wie Bashers (including hypocrites who pretend to support MW - yeah, like you)

My direct quote was:
"Maybe Michelle? Who knows."
Ford, do you know what "maybe" and "who knows" means? Some of this stuff you can Google yourself.

If Michelle breaks through and wins on the men's tour at any time between now and, lets say the year 2035, then she will go down in golf history as one of golf's greats. I, and a number of other Wie Supporters, believe she may just do that.

THEREFOR:
"Maybe Michelle? Who knows."

Did you get any of that?

Oh, and the swear words? Very Manly - Most Impressive!

08/23/06 @ 00:27
Comment from: Richard [Visitor]
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

I think Tiger qualifies on all three counts, but the endurance is a different kind from a long distance runner or biker. While Lance has both strength and endurance, I am not sure biking requires agility. Certainly Michael J and Ali needed all three. Baseball players do not need endurance. Football players probably need strength and agility but endurance isn't needed as much as they get to rest between plays. Anyway, without clarifying what this discussion is all about the comparison between great athletes is a faulty exercise so why bother. We will never know whether Tiger could have been better than Lance, of Michael J had he taken on those sports.
09/06/06 @ 12:46
Comment from: Rick [Visitor] Email
Considering that golf is not a very athletic sport, its hard to seriously compare Woods to other athletes in more athletic sports. Compared to some of the beer-bellies who play golf, I guess you would have to admit that he looks to be in the best shape.
02/16/07 @ 16:43
Comment from: Rick Anderson [Visitor] Email
To be the best all around athlete in the world you have to be good at all the major sports...and be able to perform skills from each to a higher average degree than anyone else.

Rick Anderson
(presently "Worlds Best Athlete")

www.worldsbestathlete.net
06/05/08 @ 19:01
Comment from: Rob Nieboer [Visitor] Email
Rick Anderson claims to be "presently" the "world's best athlete!" What a joke. Have a look at his site - the most strenuous event he has in his events is a one minute skipping rope drill. Must be a competition for guys with beer bellies!
03/17/09 @ 02:58