« Two-year-old Brayden Bozak: The future of golf, and of human life itselfBring back the 'stache! The Corey Pavin appreciation blog »

Comment from: toto [Visitor]
WKW: Re: wie warriors

I grew up in Kansas City back in the fifties – I only say this to indicate that I was a rabid Athletics fan. I wept through the years when they (KC) were basically a NY Yankee farm club (Roger Maris, etc.). I hoped against unrealistic hope during the Rocky Colavito days. I cheered for Charlie O. (and his damn mule). And wrote my congressman to force Finley to keep our team in KC and not move it to Oakland.

There were the growing years for the KC Royals – then George Brett – then the pine-tar incident (sounds like the “Mermaid brushing incident” LOL). Then, finally, the series – only to be crushed by Philadelphia!

Okay, yada, yada, yada.

BASEBALL IS NOT GOLF.

Tom Watson was my “next door neighbor”. Great guy, great golfer – a class act.

That’s the definition of golf – CLASS.

When Watson won against Nicholas and they walked to the clubhouse arm in arm – THAT’S CLASS.

When Karrie won and the ladies congratulated each other – THAT’S CLASS.

You want grind ‘em in the dust. Hey, go Steelers! Watch football dude.

You want class – watch golf.
07/31/06 @ 10:08
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Gee I'm no gambler, but isn't there a small difference in the odds of winning a game with 2 teams and one with 150 (or 76 at the Evian). Of course that may not have been true for Pittsburg ;)

Let me put it another way, if your daughter went to the Olympics and got a silver medal in downhill skiing would you call her a loser? I think they even refer to it as "winning silver", maybe you would call it "losing gold"
07/31/06 @ 14:07
Comment from: Jenney M. [Visitor]
Steeler fans are another breed. They aren't your every day NFL fan. They live and die by the Steelers. When Roethlisberger had a motorcycle accident, there was an all night all day vigil by the hospital.

I'd make a case that it's not the Wie Warriors, but it's the Wie Haters that are more invested in this whole thing.
07/31/06 @ 14:55
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
07/31/06 @ 15:15
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor]
I agree with you, Ford, regarding your statement, "Look carefully at the anger on these blogs...it is coming from her fans not her detractors."

I felt extremely hurt and angry when Phil Mickelson lost the U.S. Open. I had to write a blog about it, and I think I was a bit too bitter at the time but I couldn't help myself. I am still shaking off that defeat.

And, Karrie Webb is a true champion. She goes in, does her job and is a class act the whole way through. I think she's poised to win the Women's British Open.
07/31/06 @ 17:56
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Who cares who is angrier, what a silly discussion. A lot of people like to come here and bait Wie fans by making fun of her in various ways. Of course Wie fans will be the ones to get angry, that's exactly what the baiters are trying to accomplish. If I posted a blog message mocking Annika, I'm sure I'd get some angry responses from Annika's fans, and rightly so.

It's bad enough reading the same bait-response-bait-response nonsense over and over, now you want to get in to a meta-discussion about who is angrier. Give me a break.
07/31/06 @ 18:42
Comment from: Frasier [Visitor]
"
I disagree Jenney. By simply branding every person that questions the career path, mental toughness and ability to win of Michelle Wie a "hater" you have once again proved the personal nature with which you hold this debate. To date no Wie "hater" has ever mistated her win total or even denied her talent. If Michelle does eventually win many skeptics on this site including myself have said that we would be among the first to congratulate her. Look carefully at the anger on these blogs and where it is coming from, remember I said anger, not sarcasm or cynicism, but real honest to God anger and if you are being honest with yourself you will acknowledge it is coming from her fans not her detractors. I know I have been threatened time and time again , and have been called everything from a pedophile to a vampire(whatever that's supposed to mean), all over my opinion on a women's proffesional golfer. I would think again about who has more invested in this debate. "

What I don't see is why you are cynical. Cynical of what? Do you think she will not win? Or that she just won't be the best?
07/31/06 @ 19:04
Comment from: Jay [Visitor]
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]

************************************

It must be tough to be a bloggist these days, Wolfrum , huh ?
You throw a curve ball to Wie fans and they hit you out of the ball park.
07/31/06 @ 19:42
Comment from: Jenney M. [Visitor]
Ford

I think you just made my point.
08/01/06 @ 02:47
Comment from: Ford [Visitor]
Please explain...
08/01/06 @ 16:20
Comment from: Jenney M. [Visitor]
Ford, I never even defined what a hater was, you were the one who assumed you knew what I was talking about and personalized it. It seems like you have a lot invested in this issue. And as for no "hater" denying her talent... ever seen the guy who posts as "booger"?

08/01/06 @ 21:39
Comment from: Jenney M. [Visitor]
Ford, I hadn't grouped you with him and a number of others. But that's the group I mean when I'm talking about haters.

As for my point of view, I'm not a Wie Warrior. But I guess I don't see golf talent/ability as something I need to be skeptical of. In light of the amount of hype, I suppose one could be wary of it. I just don't see the need.

RE: the Wie fans and their stats, to me it seems typical of an avid sports fan Honestly, I like looking up obscure data of all sorts.

I have no problem with people who disagree with me, as long as they back it up. Often times people just like to spout random opinions and vitriol. I think it usually starts with many of the actual Travel Golf bloggers and then snowballs from there.
08/02/06 @ 02:29