« LeBron James doing things only Tiger Woods can understandExclusive! New document shows possible rules changes in golf »

Comment from: hc2 [Visitor]
No wonder Ty Votaw got out of the LPGA. He was persecuted unfairly for having a relationship with Sophie Gustafson. It wasn't as if he was playing gigolo, hitting on every attractive gal out there. He was having a long term relationship with Sophie.

You would think that Bivens would modernize the direction and marketing of the LPGA; but it seems to be going backwards.
05/17/06 @ 14:06
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
When you look at the pedigrees of all the members of the board at the LPGA, you'll find a lot of old has been CEO's etc.
Would one be inclined to wonder if they are not the problem?
Old CEOs are notorious for resisting change. As I have said before, what with Michelle Wies gender bender romp through the golf world, the genie is now out of the bottle and they better prepare for the younger generation of girls that are going to demand the right to challenge (and a few may even kickazz) the mens tours

Every time I hear someone say, nope, thats impossible, the women won't be able to do that I just laugh and say "You watch, there is a gal out there somewhere that will, jus because she has been challenged. It's happened in other areas of life, what makes anyone, man or woman think it can't happen in so call Male-exclusive sports?
05/17/06 @ 14:37
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
Oh, in answer to hc2,I should have added, Ms Bivens may not be given a choice in how she does things, the old masters/Mistresses of the Boardrooms are actually in power (as pointed out by One-Putt in another post) and she barks only when allowed to.

We may have to watch and see what unfolds this summer and also Ms.Bivens declaration of 2007 being her touchstone year of change.
05/17/06 @ 14:44
Comment from: One-Putt [Visitor]
Bivens is simply the Captain of a rudderless ship and it is no wonder Michelle wants to play elsewhere. Why in the world would she want to drift around with the LPGA as a member? She can accomplish far more outside of the tours and the restrictions they place on members.

05/17/06 @ 15:48
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor]
I think Commissioner Bivens needs to converse regularly with the people she has on her staff. Paul Rovnak (senior media relations coordinator) sent me another email this morning asking for my phone number so that we could discuss this further.

When I complied he stated that he just needed our names for the tickets at Will Call. I already sent him several emails so he already knew our email address. Why did he need to talk to me? And, There was NO entry fee today...it was FREE!

Since they have to split the profits with Susan B. Komen breast cancer awareness ( a great cause BTW), getting people through the doors who might purchase something perhaps means more to them than getting media coverage.

Wykagyl CC hasn't even decided whether or not the Sybase Classic will return next year.
05/17/06 @ 16:59
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
Hahaha, Stacy, do you get the feeling that you are watching a sinking ship going down fast?

The minions of the masters (aka. LPGA Board) don't have a clue how to reach their rear end even with both hands tied back their.

Lordy, they better figure out what it is they want for their membership pretty darn soon or watch it all float out to sea on that sinking boat.
05/17/06 @ 17:39
Comment from: x-15a2 [Visitor]
I understand your plight, and I agree with your opinion, but I disagree with your approach. Publishing insults ("...the LPGA is a mom & pop store that's dying to be as annoyingly corporate as the PGA Tour is now.) While what you say is true, I doubt that publishing will help your cause. A fight of this nature should be carried on between the parties, not displayed for public consumption.

I wish you well and hope that the LPGA soon recognizes the value of popular Golf blogs.
05/18/06 @ 12:32
Comment from: Jon [Visitor]
Unfortunately, begging doesn't work that well. When the LPGA recently tried to seize control (thus, ownership)of the photos taken by the AP photographers at its events, what was the AP's response? A discreet discussion with the LPGA about its heavy handedness? Oh yeah, they boycottted the event. I recall many in the media calling LPGA stupid. Well, here we go again. Nothing the LPGA does surprises me anymore. I tell you it is the "Madonna School of marketing mangnagement." Besides, competence is way too overrated these days.
05/18/06 @ 18:54