« Golfer Supremacy Rankings: Where God and golf aren't a Mission ImpossibleChris Baldwin's all-male golf club stance a common sense answer to a nation with too many laws »

Comment from: Bruce Stasch [Member] Email
Excellent entry. I mentioned this "spaz" problem that Tiger has gotten into on my podcast, but you did a much better treatment of it.
04/13/06 @ 09:01
Comment from: Stacy Solomon [Visitor]
The "spaz" comment was Tiger's slang and the British have no right to comment on his personal usage of it.

Now if he was talking about other Brits I guess they could get their knickers in an uproar ;-)
04/13/06 @ 09:11
Comment from: Amy [Visitor]
Honestly, it seems that for every word in existence there's someone out there who'll be outraged by its use. It doesn't take a genius to know that Tiger had no intentions of disrespecting people who suffer from cerebral palsy. If these people are so upset over such a minor incident, then they should consider locking themselves up in a closet for the rest of their lives, because if they knew of the real horrors going on in our world they might go into cardiac arrest.
04/13/06 @ 13:33
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
WKW, Political Correctness British style also proscribes the term "handicapped."
04/13/06 @ 13:46
Comment from: damobunyan@yahoo.ie [Visitor]
A few observations:

The UK charity you refer to was is called "Scope" and not "The Scope". It was once called "The Spastics Society", not the "Spastic Society". They changed their name when the terms "spastic, spacker, spaz, spazzer etc etc" began to be used in the UK (and elsewhere in the englsih speaking world) as a general insult to anyone with physical disabilities.

You imply with your cast the first stone line that the charity used an offensive term in its title when in reality, the term became offensive after the British TV show Blue Peter ran a series of episodes on people with Cerebral Palsy and then they changed their name to reflect this...but I digress!

The bottom line is that the term Spaz is considered extremely offensive in the rest of the english speaking world and it is only right that poeple in the US are made aware of this. On a lighter note, your attempted use of British terminology and slang is woeful, as is your punctuation. As a suggestion, maybe you should use less commas in your posts?

Cheers Mate!
04/13/06 @ 13:56
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Alex: I actually was aware of that.

Other poster: Thank you for a marvelously cheerful example of the British stereotypes of conceit, pettiness and rampant political correctness. Biting satire, my friend.

--WKW
04/13/06 @ 14:07
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Member] Email
"Bloody" is terribly offensive to hemophiliacs.

Use of the plural is offensive to those who cannot count past one.

The title of the British show "Blue Peter" is degrading to those of us who grew up in Minnesota and got our willies frostbitten while ice-fishing.

Brits who criticize punctuation and cannot spell "people" or capitalize "English" are just generally irritating.

And if we're going to get REALLY prescriptive and pedantic, it is "fewer commas," not "less" (comma is a count noun, not a mass noun).

BTW, we Americans cannot help it if the Brits are mean-spirited toward their disabled citizens and use such words to describe them. In my dialect, "spaz" is indeed clumsy and inept.
04/13/06 @ 14:52
Comment from: damobunyan@yahoo.ie [Visitor]
LOL! I mispelled "englsih" as well, btw. I'll run it through a spell checker next time. My comment about commas was simply to point out that there were hundreds the spazzin' things and it made it very difficult to follow the piece.

Also, I find Brits generally irritating all of the time, regardless of their punctuation and capitisation skills.
04/13/06 @ 15:08
Comment from: pete [Visitor]
It was good satire, well done you have our permission to write more
04/13/06 @ 15:59
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
damo, I accept your suggestion. I will use FEWER commas in my posts. Incidentally, what has happened to your spelling?
04/14/06 @ 08:50
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
All I want to know is - after a bad day on the greens - can I still say I putted like Stevie Wonder?
04/14/06 @ 11:03
Comment from: damobunyan@yahoo.ie [Visitor]
My spelling is normally OK, my typing is the issue here. perhaps i should type less/fewer words and concentrate on content instead.
04/14/06 @ 16:51
Comment from: Simon [Visitor]
I think the problem here is bad journalism. There was no outrage in the UK. The tabloid pree got hold of it and tried to make more of it than was actually there. Most people with any intelligence would recognise it was just a simple case of trans-atlantic language differences. But it seems that same thing is happening on your side of the pond. You are making it out that everybody in England was horrified by the comments, that is simply not the reality. The comments about political correctness are spot on though. It does seem that everything people like Tiger and others living in the spotlight say offends someone somewhere, the media does play a large part in this though. I wont revert to your idea of steriotype of pettiness, unlike the Americans posting here who have just taken this as an easy excuse to badmouth the Brits. I did enjoy the attempt at English slang, although what is a 'bollocksbag'?
04/14/06 @ 18:02
Comment from: damobunyan@yahoo.ie [Visitor]
Thats what i was wondering too-what is a bollocksbag? I know that in Ireland, the word bollocks can be used to describe someone as an unsavoury character and in the UK, bollocks is generally equivalent to "thats nonsense"!! But bollocksbag?

LOL - If you were to say to someone in the UK that "We are not a bunch of sods and pillocks, here, mates.", they would probably think you were insane.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to smoke a fag.
04/14/06 @ 19:15
Comment from: David [Visitor]
'Bollocks' means testicles.

I found this post enjoyable. It reminds me of Austin Powers where Austin and his father start talking 'English-English' so that the American girl can't understand them.

Simon is right - the general majority of British people just couldn't give a flying fart. I was watching the interview when he said the word 'spaz,' and thought nothing of it at all, but knew that something would be made of it by the self-righteous hypocrites of the world, whether in Britain or otherwise.

Anyway, his comment was true in any case. He did putt like a retard, although that wasn't what he meant. My dad has often said, after playing a bad round, that he 'putted like a retard with no arms.'

But in the interest of political correctness and all this stifling of free speech nonsense, I'd warn famous people to never tell the truth in an interview.
04/15/06 @ 06:47
Comment from: Trader Woody [Visitor]
Anyone who thinks this article is biting satire is a complete spastic.
04/24/06 @ 18:47
Comment from: Rob Lambretta [Visitor]
Political correctness gone mad? Yep, we're used to that in the UK. If Tiger reckons he was a bit of a spaz, who are we to disagree?
Personally I think he putted like a cnut. hang on - where's me spellchecka
back soon
05/03/06 @ 15:29
Comment from: karen [Visitor]
I enjoyed your English-English satire but I have to disagree with the line "Tiger showed his fanny to the world". I was once speaking to a group of Brits about my elephant named Phanny. They all looked alarmed. I thought it was about my elephant story but then they told me that fanny referred to a woman's vagina in English-English.
06/26/06 @ 11:40
Comment from: Rob Lambretta [Visitor]
On a semi-related matter (free speech / censorship), I am always amazed to see the response still provoked by Neil Young's "Southern Man". (some people think he had no right to bring up the race subject, because he's not from the South. Which is like condemning Bob Marley for "Redemption Song", because it was based on a time long before he was born)

Anyhoo - write what you want to write. You could even claim that golf is a sport - and I will defend your right to do so.

Keep on putting in the free world!

I'm off to have a couple of faggots now.
07/14/06 @ 15:59
Comment from: jk [Visitor]
All I can say is in the words of the song "Don't want to be an American idiot". Tiger should have known better.
10/30/08 @ 23:41
Comment from: Chris Hansen [Visitor] Email
I'm so happy Tiger's world is falling apart, long may it last!
12/11/09 @ 13:02