« Seventy-five years later, Bobby Jones' Grand Slam appears as perfectionThe Weekend Rules: Golf-cart etiquette »

Comment from: alan [Visitor]
As a known Wie supporter I would have to say that Wie will have a bigger impact on golf than Tiger. Certainly from a spectator point of view.
I have found myself watching the LPGA in preference to the PGA if Wie is playing. I very rarely watch LPGA without Wie playing even though I do like watching Creamer who is a wonderful talent.
Next year I will travel to the US -Palm Springs to watch the Kraft Nabisco simply to watch Wie.
I have never been to a pro tournament before.
If anyone can tell me a good place to stay close to the course I would really appreciate it.
Alan M
09/27/05 @ 12:31
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
I think it depends on how well she actually does when she gets older.
I do think it will attract alot more young girls into golf. I think that is the biggest impact it will have. Tonnes of great young female golfers coming behind.

If she actually puts some sort of a dent on the PGA and gets a PGA tour card, I think that will encourage other women to try this also, and would change the landscape of the PGA, with tournaments jossling to get the latest young female talent.

I don't see her doing much for the mens game.
09/27/05 @ 15:37
Comment from: Joe [Visitor]
It is asking a lot for Michelle Wie to have a bigger impact than Tiger. I also think Mr Wolfrum underestimates the Tiger impact on the youth interest in golf. While Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis and Morgan Pressel are already the talk of the LPGA and women's golf they are products of the Tiger era in golf. Physically fit, strong work ethic and obsession with winning. Tiger has even motivated Annika to raise the level of her game.

Michelle has drawn people not familiar with golf, like Alan. This is similar to Tiger. I have been to many Pro golf events, both PGA and LPGA, and the LEAST knowedgeable fans are the Tiger fans. Many of them are celebrity hounds who know little or nothing about golf. Certainly he has his share of real golf fans of course but the crowds you see at a Tournament are more of the celebrity hounds who only care about seeing Tiger do anything on or off the course. I think many of the people MW will draw will be similar. They will not be the traditional golf fans and I suppose that is not a bad thing because the more fans the more money on the Tour for all including Charities. Do not forget the PGA and LPGA Tours are the biggest charitable giving organizations of all.

Michelle WIe may increase the general awareness of golf but I doubt she will have a sbig an impact as Annika has had unless she focuses her attention on the LPGA. She seems more interested in being the "first women" to do something rather than establish herself as a force on the LPGA. COnsequently I think the above mentioned young women will have more of an impact on the LPGA than Michelle. Good luck to her playing with the men in Japan and elswhere. It think this is more for attention and money than anything else and by the time she realises this her chance to make history on the LPGA may have come and gone.
09/27/05 @ 15:52
Comment from: Jim Coulthard [Visitor]
Natalie Gulbis? Her two 3Ts this year are her only top 3 finishes on the LPGA in her career. Michelle Wie has done much better than that with a 2, two 2Ts and a 3T. If a non-winner like Natalie is already the talk of women's golf, why shouldn't Michelle Wie be as well. Michelle has already accompished more than Natalie and she is 6 and 3/4 years younger.

It seems to me that Michelle has already had a bigger impact than Annika. And indeed, it seems that the biggest impact Annika had was when she played the Colonial. If JOE is going to talk about Natalie Gulbis being the talk of the LPGA he has no basis for criticising Michelle Wie for taking on the men in golf--or for criticising my comment that it was at the Colonial that Annika made her biggest impact.
09/27/05 @ 19:01
Comment from: Jim Coulthard [Visitor]

09/27/05 @ 19:22
Comment from: alan [Visitor]
Joe
I am familiar with golf and love playing the game. I said I haven't been to a Pro Tournament.
Living in New Zealand and now Trinidad and Tobago there haven't been a lot of oportunities.
To see the Kraft Nabisco will be a 12000km round trip. I don't think I would make the trip if I didn't know anything about golf.
Alan M
09/27/05 @ 20:42
Comment from: Joe [Visitor]
Alan, duly noted, I apoligise for thinking you are the same as the other Wie cult people. YOu should enjoy your trip and it is always fun to see Michelle play. I personally prefer to see her in LPGA events. Perhaps you can see her in Japan in November.

For others, anyone who does not think Annika has made an impact on golf does not deserve a response.
09/27/05 @ 21:39
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
"You Betcha!" Among the benefits will be: Ten years ago, anyone could walk on a golf course and be on the 1st tee with-in 30 minutes. Now you have to call make tee-times, if available. There's no turning back now. Now with Wie on the scene, can you imagine how many more younsters are going to clog the fairways? Only this time it'll be the young, ditzy, blondes, WHO YOU ALL WILL BE COMPLAINING ABOUT, in front of you.
09/28/05 @ 08:15
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
Hey John D,

If they all look like Gulbis, Creamer & Wie, most of us wouldn't complain too much!
09/28/05 @ 15:19
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
True for you Shanks.
09/28/05 @ 18:46
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Joe said
************
I think this is more for attention and money than anything else and by the time she realises this her chance to make history on the LPGA may have come and gone.
************

I don't think she needs to worry about that yet. She has PLENTY of time.
Also making LPGA history is all well and good, but we need to get real here. How many people actually care, and I mean REALLY CARE about what Annika has done. As Jim said Annika's most famous moment was appearing at the Colonial with the men. That is the impression of most people of her.

That is the moment when I first took notice of women's golf, when I saw the best women's player mix it up with the men. I watched intently and was very interested in the way she played. I was surprised that the only part of her game that really let her down was her putting. Had she putted well she would have made the cut easily..... It got me thinking that being a woman, (with less strength) doesn't make you a bad putter, so why could women not make the cut.

I think that one weekend was Annika's biggest moment in golf. It's only a shame that she hasn't repeated the performance. She said that it improved her game immesurably. If that is the case, why doesn't she try it again and thus improve her game more. It baffles me.
09/28/05 @ 18:53
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Joe said:
**************
**************

She has made an impact on womens golf.
.... but has women's golf made an impact????
.... not without more women competing with the men to draw attention to the game & it doesn't need to be professional event's, let Creamer and Wie team one each with Tiger and Phil in a couple of years time, and wait for the TV audience.
09/28/05 @ 18:56
Comment from: alan [Visitor]
Unfortunately Annika hasn't got the charisma the looks or personality to go with her great golf game and she's not American. On the other hand The three girls that are leading the charge to overthow her, Creamer, Wie and Gulbis have got an abundance of charisma, looks and personality plus they also have great golf games. This makes a huge difference when trying to attract spectators and sponsors.
If all three play to their potential the LPGA will benefit enormously.
Presell is the odd one out.
Alan M
09/28/05 @ 21:10
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
As regards looks, I don't think Pressel is the odd one out. She also has charisma and confidence as well so I don't know how you mean the odd one out?
09/29/05 @ 13:56
Comment from: PinHead [Visitor]
Men of all ages drool over Natalie! You would be a child-molester if you felt that way about Michelle. Give her a few years before ruining her with appearance fees and automatic paychecks! If she has to work for it, she'll be much better for it, for a long, long time. Just don't put Annika out to pasture just yet. She's still the young lady with real "game".
09/29/05 @ 15:22
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
Sorry the money is coming to her whether you like it or not. C'est la vie.

As regards Natalie, all men don't drool over her. She's fairly good looking but much the same as Creamer, not a stunner.
09/29/05 @ 15:44
Comment from: Jeff [Visitor]
Paula Creamer is the only woman player worth talking about.
She is the only one who has the talent and ability to win.
She's only had one season. By the end of next season she will be number 1 on the money list and Annika will be long forgotten.
09/29/05 @ 16:01
Comment from: alan [Visitor]
Norman
She's a bitch to put it mildly.
I didn't really want to say it.
Alan M
09/29/05 @ 20:05
Comment from: June [Visitor]
People talk about Puala like she is having this crazyily amazing rookie season. I agree that she is a great talent but some of poster is delusional if they think Paula's year is unprecedented. You don't even have to go 10 years and I recall Se Ri's truly maing rookie year (2 win and 2 major at that) and Karie Webb's. Don't even mention Nancy's 9 wins. So be reasonable here when you drrol over Paula's game.
09/30/05 @ 10:14
Comment from: Jeff [Visitor]
Alan
"She's a bitch to put it mildly.
I didn't really want to say it."

But Alan keep two things in mind:
1. she has a big chest.
2. she always puts her hand on her butt before you strikes a putt. Don't know why she does this but hey.
09/30/05 @ 18:41
Comment from: alan [Visitor]
I suppose everyone has some redeeming features. I hadn't noticed Morgan's.
I get too distracted by the sour face.
I would love to see the expression next Wednesday morning when Wie is on TV announcing turning professional and raking in the $10 million.
That would be priceless, for everything else there's Mastercard.

Alan M
10/01/05 @ 05:12
Comment from: Jeff [Visitor]
I'm sure Morgan will be hoping Michelle will be having lots of success and much good luck.

NOT.

What actually happened with her and Michelle anyway. I heard she said some bad stuff about Michelle but can't remember what.
10/01/05 @ 14:30
Comment from: Jim Coulthard [Visitor]
JUNE In one sense, Paula's season is unprecedented. No one else has won an LPGA multiround tournament at such a young age. Unfortunately, for certain Creamer fans that gives Wie nearly 3 years to break the one LPGA record that Paula Creamer holds. Even Chris Baldwin seems to lack confidence that the girl who hasn't learned to win won't become the youngest ever winner on the LPGA.
10/02/05 @ 13:48
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
My God, you guys can be catty. I love it.

In regards to some of your comments, I imagine it will be a tightrope for the LPGA to walk. They could take the moral high ground and avoid the hotness factor the new girls are bringing with them, or the entire tour could become a big spread for Maxim magazine.

I'm really on the fence with this one.

--WKW

10/03/05 @ 15:26
Comment from: Norman [Visitor]
William, I really hope most of the players won't go down the Maxim route.

I think we know Natalie is very much gone that way anyway, but I really hope some of the other girls have a bit more substance to them than that.

Leave the slut thing to Britney and Christina.
10/03/05 @ 17:09
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
June,

Excellent comments. Lopez had the greatest LPGA rookie year of all time, no doubt. But she had been to college and was a little older than Creamer. Pak had been a pro for a little while before coming to America and also was a little older, but nonetheless it was an awesome rookie start. Creamer won her first of 3 tournaments BEFORE she got out of high school. Also incredible. And Wie stands to be even more sensational if she learns how to close the deal, which I expect she will.
10/05/05 @ 16:13