« If Michelle Wie is the new Tiger, will more benefit this time?President's Cup sheds light on a huge hoax »

Comment from: Denver Player [Visitor]
Scoot your butt over, sit three in the cart, and play as a fivesome.

Use that cellphone for something worthwhile (for a change), call the clubhouse, and get another cart sent to you in the meantime.
09/24/05 @ 08:16
Comment from: Jennifer Mario [Member] Email
You look like a strapping guy, William. Since you're so young and strong, it shouldn't be a problem for you to give your cart to knee-boy and you and your pal can walk the rest of the round.
09/24/05 @ 09:17
Comment from: Mary [Visitor]
Mandatory? No... But golf has karma along with its zen, and if you don't provide some assistance, you will soon find your "nice rhythm" breaking down.
09/24/05 @ 16:03
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Member] Email
Denver: That's definitely the common sense and polite way to go. Keep in mind, however, we Americans can be, well, girthy. I'm not sure if a regulation cart has enough get-up and go for three of us.

JMar: Being as I like to have my mug shots taken at 15-year intervals, I'm a bit more aging and slouchy than young and strapping. What the hell is strapping, anyway?

Mary: That really is the main thin when you're on course -- Don't mess with karma because man, will it mess back. Good point.

The cell phone is definitely a wildcard here. I personally avoid taking one on the course and will leave it in my car. Also, the computer tracking systems for carts are becoming more popular, as with most technology, the prices will come down, and this whole scenario will be moot eventually maybe.

I still carry bitterness for the guys that drove past me many years ago in this same situation. I hope they got karma'd good.

--WKW
09/24/05 @ 16:57
Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
Let me point out cell phone protocol for church, the offic and the golf course: put the thing on vibrate. It is such a simple step, and the only negative result is an apparent spasm in the leg when it goes off. No noise, no bother. This is as simple as opening south-bound lanes to north-bound traffic during hurricane season.

Regarding joint man: give him the cart and walk, call for another one, flag down the ranger, it's all the same. Rangers often have short-waves and can buzz for another cart. If you're on the 9th or 18th tee, you can call the kitchen and ask them to send a cart. What course, though, has any hole so far away that it will take you 30 minutes to drive in and 30 minutes to drive back? Even Bethpage Black, from 7 green to 1st tee, wouldn't take that long in a cart.
09/24/05 @ 18:35
Comment from: RJ [Visitor]
Bethpage Black is walking only
09/27/05 @ 08:32
Comment from: RF [Visitor]
A similar senario happened to our group at Manistee National in Michigan this spring. There was no one on the back nine, the cell wouldn't work, so we played in as a five-some, he rode and one of us walked. It was great and we all finished well. The manager then comped us for two rounds with a cart. Nice touch and we'll be back again.
10/04/05 @ 11:30