« Pampered geese the latest sign of Canada's collapseHuge golf tee or WMD? Dubai takes a chance to prove that size matters »

Comment from: Al Clark [Visitor]
Obivously you don't understand deer hunting and golf in Iowa !

Yes the deer population in Iowa is growing at a alarming rate. And yes we do have many golfer's and golf course's in our John Wayne state. You need to understand that these "specail deer" seasons take place during the winter months when the golf courses are closed down due to the inclimate weather in our northern state. I can't think of the last time that I saw a golfer during the month of Dec. or Jan. out on the greens in the snow or below zero temps. Have you ?

Also think of it this way too... without the deer hunters. Your precious little deer would be eating the bushes, shrubs and trees that line you preety little fairways.

birdhunter88

PS... Just too let you know. I also hunt geese during off of one local golf course. The greens keeper jumped at the opportunity to let me hunt stinkin' bird droppin' grass destroyin' varmits so as to keep the golf course lookin' pretty for you so called sportsman.

So please, the next time you want to "complain" about us true "Outdoorsman". Think about the service we are doing for you in keeping your little playgrounds free from the creatures that would ultimately distory your home away from home.

09/14/05 @ 18:25
Comment from: Jefro [Visitor]
There is no "jihad" against golfers, only the deer that are ruining the courses with their unstoppable appetites and the aftermath of those appetites being deposited from green to green with no consideration of the rules of golf.

Seriously though, since deer hunting season and playable golf weather rarely coincide in Iowa, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
09/14/05 @ 18:39
Comment from: John Wayne [Visitor]
I'm sorry. I misspelled a couple of words but I think you got the idea of my measage.

Also I used an assumed name... my proper name is John Wayne !
09/14/05 @ 18:46
Comment from: jake [Visitor]
First of all, do your research regarding golfing in Iowa and deer hunting before you post such drivel. Then check the problems deer are causing landowners, golf courses, farmers, cities, traffic and numerous other aspects of our grand state of Iowa.

Secondly, not only do we claim John Wayne, we can also claim Johnny Carson, The Everly Brothers, Glenn Miller, Andy Williams, Cloris Leachman, Mamie Eisenhower, Donna Reed, George Gallup, Harry Reasoner, and Ashton Kutcher (Demi Moore's main squeeze). Shall I go on...? Nah, this is probably to much information for you to handle.

Oh, by the way, we have a Big 12 College, and a Big Ten college in our state. We are number on in soybeans and corn production as well a leading pork state. We house many of the nation's insurance company's as well as being home to ACT tests and the first computer ever built. Oops, sorry. I forgot you probably have the attention span of a gnat. Next time you have a mouth full of Iowa corn, please don't say stupid things with your mouth full.

Cheers from Iowa.
09/14/05 @ 19:58
Comment from: John Wayne [Visitor]
What did one golfer say to the other golfer ?

"Fredrick, Shall I use a 7 Iron or a 6 ?"

Thomas replies, "Well I'm not sure Fredrick, What do you think sir ?" (Looking over at the 3rd golfer in the party who happens to be from Iowa)

Big Jake Jefro proclaims: "The heck with the clubs, grab that there 12 ga. pump where the 3 Wood use to be. There's a brut hog of a 12 pointer in the rough !" BOOM !!!

"Now Thats A Wall Hanger !"
09/14/05 @ 20:26
Comment from: Dale Phillips [Visitor]
The great out doors. Its funny that the people who like to enjoy the outdoors, bash the hunting community for its participation in the outdoors. These are the people who call the uninformed. Wether its state parks and recreation areas or parks on the national level. Where do you think the majority of the funding comes from? The majority of the funding comes from permit sales on fishing and hunting licences. Included in this funding comes from the surcharge taxes on guns and amunition. Many people benefit from these funds, hunters and nonhunters alike. If the general hunting community was banned from their sport, you would see excessive additional taxes levied again your income and user fees to use these outdoor opportunities. Not to mention your car, homeowners insurance would sky-rocket due to the excessive amount of claims due to loss. And yes, state and local public golf courses recieve funding from the sales of hunting and fishing licences.
Dale
Outdoorsman and golfer
09/14/05 @ 21:16
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
Wow. Who would have thought Iowans would get upset when you say they are declaring an ancient Islamic war against golfers.

Heck, I wasn't even sure they had the Internet in Iowa.

I kid, I kid. But, just in case, I will be more careful when I come to Iowa, because no one likes the idea of having irate hunters with a grudge going after them. Of course, judging by the deer population, I'm guessing I'll be safe.

I actually used to hunt, mostly in Wyoming. I'm getting the feeling that the deer population in that area of Iowa may be as dense with deer as Wyoming is with antelope. In Wyoming you can actually just throw your rifle randomly and an antelope will fall. Sometimes they'll even field-dress themselves.

But really, the question here is not about hunters, but about the city council. I firmly believe that they could accidentily pass a resolution making it mandatory to shoot golfers.

But, hey, the Hawkeyes are a couple of weeks away from being beaten by about a billion by Ohio State, so I can understand if the entire state is somewhat tense.

--WKW

09/15/05 @ 08:49
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
Oh, and Jefro:

"Imagine a nice 300 yard drive ruined by your ball landing in a big steaming pile of deer poop. Can you improve that lie? I don't know. Will a sand wedge work in this situation? I couldn't tell you. I guess it depends on whether the deer that left it chose to eat the azelias or the rough on hole #7."

That's just top-notch, and raises excellent points. Of course, if I somehow managed to hit a 300-yard drive, it could fall in a pile of rhino poop for all I'd care.

--WKW

09/15/05 @ 08:52
Comment from: jake [Visitor]

Gee, tense? Iowa beat Ohio State last year. Ohio State needs to be concerned, not Iowa.

Finally, don't be concerned about irate hunters shooting you. We know what is fair game and what isn't worth wasting a bullet to shoot. I filled all the tags I bought the last two years and only used two slugs. Yep, I'm the reincarnation of John Wayne...lol.

Jake
09/15/05 @ 10:27
Comment from: 3.5shells [Visitor]
maybe the idea of the investigation and all of the scandels going on at ohio state right now has gotten every one in ohio thinking about golf instead of football. If Katzimore can get by with all f's I wonder who is ignorant and ah yeah clarrette what kind of car did he drive. Dont worry about us Iowans we Hunt by the book recruit by the book and we will play by the book.
09/15/05 @ 14:36
Comment from: John Wayne [Visitor]

Wolfman.... The above statement by you doesn't even make sense. Whats your point ? The city counsel is trying to ensure that your pristine play grounds are kept safe and pretty from the damaging effects that the deer can bring upon them.

Obviously you truely are a moron if you can't understand the fact that there will be NO GOLFERS on the course during the months that deer season is taking place. Or do you plan on wearing a snowmobile suit and using hockey sticks for clubs ? I can see it now. The greenskeeper out on the course with his snowblower clearing the greens for morons like you. Yeah Right !

Here's where your suppose to open mouth and insert foot. You have no clue what the hell you are talking about and this article clearly shows a perfect example or your ignorance and stupidity.

John Wayne and damn proud of it.

PS... who cares about the Hawkeyes or the Buckeyes ? The Big 10 sucks anyway. No matter what team from the Big 10 makes it to a "Big" time bowl, they always blow it !
09/15/05 @ 14:50
Comment from: 3.5shells [Visitor]
Hunting should be allowed anywhere there are deer and it is safe for the public in my own personal opinion as long as you pass a course that proves that you are capable with a bow if you are not capable of takeing a bow at thirty yards at the kill zone a certain percentage of the time and you are not capable of making the decision if it is a good shot or not. There would be to many yahoos out their shooting deer in the non vitals and next thing you know deer running and dying on the clubhouse front door and the deer hunter with not enough respect for the land or the animal would just say oh well and move on to the next deer. We need educated hunters with experience to do these kind of hunts to prove to morons that are opposed that there are inteligant hunters that care about the good of the hunting community.
09/15/05 @ 15:10
Comment from: Big Red [Visitor]
You clearly have no clue about Iowa or deer hunting or much of anything else. While some have led a sheltered life at the country club and have not become aquainted with the realities others have mentioned above, it would appear that you are seeking to remain willfully ignorant. What a maroon. Mark Twain was right about golf.
Mark

PS as a Big 12 fan, I must say I enjoyed watching Ohio State getting beaten last weekend.
09/15/05 @ 15:19
Comment from: Joe Ross [Visitor]
You, sir, haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Considering the fact that you have to be aleast 150 feet from any trails or buildings by law, which I'm sure would include areas here people are playing golf, you obviously haven't read the laws on the urban hunt, and basically don't know s**t.

Stitch
09/15/05 @ 16:47
Comment from: will_e [Visitor]
Moron!! It's people like you that make people like us hate golf! So what if a golfer gets plugged, one less snobby jerk in the world that we have to worry about! You can stick your golf club up your a**, I am going to hunt where the hell I feel like it - Golf Courses included.
09/15/05 @ 17:11
Comment from: your_a_clown [Visitor]
such an arrogant guy he cant handle leaving the truth in other peoples comments... gotta go and edit other peoples thoughts. get real man... come to iowa before preaching all your bul****t. retard
09/15/05 @ 17:28
Comment from: Mark Nessmith [Visitor]
Wolfrum didn't edit your comments, I did. And I'll continue to do it if you insist on using profanity.
09/15/05 @ 17:39
Comment from: Bambi [Visitor]
Please Please Please

I beg of all you golfers out there in the wonderful land of clubs & balls.

Please help stop the eventually slaughter of my dear brothers and sisters.

The cruel people of Iowa don't want me in the city parks and golf courses any more.

They are planning a genocide. Those Iowans want to do away with my kind.

So what if I eat a few bushes and trees. They taste better when raised inside the city limits.

And while your at it. Could you please tell them to slow down on their paved trails so I don't have to worry about getting hit by their mechanical machines while crossing to get to those beautifully landscaped golf courses.

I'm telling you. Watch out for those blood thirsty Iowans. Their KILLERS ! Each and Everyone of Them ! KILLERS !

HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASEEEEEEEEE "BOOM"

Bambi

09/15/05 @ 17:46
Comment from: Big Bad Bohunk [Visitor]
Backstraps ! Did someone say Backstraps ? Hole #9 Let me get my gun and I meet ya there.

Backstraps ! Gotta love Backstraps !

Big Bad Bohunk
09/15/05 @ 18:10
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
See people? Bambi went and shot herself. And from the look of that "BOOM" I'd say she did a good job of it.

When will this bloodlust end?

09/15/05 @ 19:55
Comment from: Shedder [Visitor]
Wow, where do I begin? Yet another overeducated idiot opens their mouth about deer hunting without knowing anything about the sport. The facts about over-population have already been stated here, so I will not repeat them. I do wildlife control and animal damage control for a living, many of my clients are golf courses or live on golf courses here in the state of Iowa. Let the hunters hunt or not, I truly do not care, I'll take these yuppy bastard's money one way or the other. Trust me fellow hunters, theses golf course types complain about everything, especially things they think they can get their name in the papers for. JOHN WAYNE ALSO!!!
09/15/05 @ 19:56
Comment from: bubbaboy33 [Visitor]
you guys kill me,you do gooders allways trying to kick us poor defeseless deer hunters.drive down one of our roads here in the great state of iowa and hit one of our deer at 55mph and then ya'll be telling us to shoot all the deer no mater where they are
09/15/05 @ 21:28
Comment from: bubbaboy33 [Visitor]
spelling sucks i know but if i could spell i'd have your job!
09/15/05 @ 21:30
Comment from: John Wayne [Visitor]
William K. Wolfrum,

I'll tell ya what budro... Your invited along for a goose, duck, pheasant, deer or even a coyote hunt. Seriously !!! If you want to attend your more than welcome to come along. I even have a spare gun if you want to use it. And when we are all said and done. You tell me that it didn't give you a "woody" dropping a deer knowing that you and your family were going to eat well and at the same time also doing a good deed for you fellow sportsman the golfers.

If you want to go... just email me and I will set you up.

birdhunter88
09/15/05 @ 22:01
Comment from: RonMon [Visitor]
This is not a blog. This is the funniest comedy routine I have read, seen, listened to, or channeled in my entire life. That is, it was until WW made a joke about suicide. Kind of like Kiel and his raping and pillaging comment. Meant to be funny but darned offensive.

Deer should be eaten, golf courses should be preserved, and people from Iowa should be thanked for their caucuses.

09/15/05 @ 22:01
Comment from: Joe Ross [Visitor]
Aww, did I hurt you lil feelings?
09/16/05 @ 05:27
Comment from: your_a_clown [Visitor]
must have stitch.. he probably spilled some ketchup on his fancy polo shirt. its amazing how country club members think they are all sophisticated and intelligent.. those are the people that just couldnt figure out how to load a gun or tie on a fishing hook. it is just rediculous that they have to take time out of their day and knock us REAL sportsmen. since when is golf a "sport".. i thought it was just an excuse to waste time when the fish werent biting.
mark nessmith... hang yourself.
09/16/05 @ 13:50
Comment from: birdhunter88 [Visitor]
I would almost have to agree Mark... But it still fun screwing with these self proclaimed sportsmen. Riding around on their cute little carts hitting a little white ball with a club. And then going home and telling the wifey pooh how tired they are from all the exercise they got out on the course. If you sissy's want some "real" exercise come out on a pheasant hunt sometime. I'll show you some good ol' fashion exercise if you think you can hang with an old man. But the most important thing about hunting is not the killing like these freaks think it is about. Its about being with mother nature, enjoying the great outdoors and what it has to offer. Its about watching a well trained dog search and work a field and the enjoyment that dog gets when it get to retrieve a bird you shot not for yourself but for him. The bonus of the whole experiance is that you have a truely "natural" meal to take home that isn't loaded with man made chemicals. The joy of watching and listening and experiancing mother nature in her glory is what hunting is all about. How many golfers go out on the course and experiance mother nature for what she is worth ? Now who is the hypocrits here ? The golfers are doing more harm to the natural balance of nature by removing wildlife habitat that animals such as the deer, pheasant, quail, geese, ducks and others used as their homes just by building their precious little playgrounds called golf courses. Its you the golfers who should be ashamed of yourselves. Self rightous pukes that you are. Who are you to critize the true sportsmen in this world ?

birdhunter88
John Wayne (as we Iowan's have been called)
Al Clark
09/16/05 @ 14:31
Comment from: Joe Ross [Visitor]
STOP EDITING MY POSTS YOU BURPING PLAID WEARING HIPPIES.

Stitch
09/16/05 @ 16:06
Comment from: supserdave [Visitor]
Why didn't the golfer have any children?

Because he lost his balls in the pond!
09/16/05 @ 16:41
Comment from: Al Clark [Visitor]
Come On William. You opened up a can of worms and insulted not only a state but a world full of hunters. Are you not willing to have a spirited debate with the people you so disrespectfully insulted ? Are you scared ? Are you not man enough to stand behind your words and beliefs ? Do you not have a set of balls ? Lets debate the issue ! Or are you just a plain chickensh!t ?

Al Clark
09/16/05 @ 16:49
Comment from: your_a_clown [Visitor]
cow pasture pool. a "sport" for every soft athlete. i wish for you to get trampled by elephants.
09/16/05 @ 17:08
Comment from: Peacemaker [Visitor]
Back to the meaning of the original post, the writer was indicating his disdain for the city council of Ottumwa for their debate on whether or not to allow hunting on the golf course. Do you suppose that the city council had absolutely nothing else going on their city, and just decided to bring this up for discussion. I would bet a hefty sum that the only reason they were discussing it is because some persnickety GOLFER pissed and moaned to his GOLFER BUDDY on the council about how the deer were damaging his precious, manicured playground and henceforth ruining his enjoyment of the "great outdoors." I've seen enough city government in action to know that city councils rarely do things without the "prodding" of some well-to-do putz. Personally, I'd be more concerned about getting plowed into by the golfer on his way home whose had one too many cocktails, than I would the "true outdoorsman" who is hunting on the same course.
09/17/05 @ 05:22
Comment from: Brian [Visitor]
I live in Ottumwa, and the city council here is, for the most part, a bunch of idiots.

They should allow deer hunting on the golf course because, as many have pointed out, deer season is in the winter. And we don't have all that many golfers willing to brave the elements in order to shoot par.

I've played the course in question, many, many times. It's the municipal course (i.e., the "poor man's golf course"). It's waaaay to the north of town.

Except for a couple of holes, there are no buildings around. You have the clubhouse, the maintenance shed, and that's it. Oh, and by holes #12, #4, and #9, there are a few houses. Maybe one other hole, too. Other than that, it's wide open.

Now, if we're talking the Country Club, then there's no way they could allow hunting there. It's surrounded by nice, fancy houses and there are buildings all over the place, plus many busy roads...too dangerous. But I don't think it's having a deer problem.

My parents live out in the country, and they are being overrun with deer on a nightly basis. My dad loves to watch them, but even he realizes that something needs to be done, or there will be problems.
09/18/05 @ 05:24
Comment from: Hazmat [Visitor]
Mr. Wolfrum is obviously quite the putz, eh? Knows not from whence he speaks, and yet speaks as if he's an expert.

Here in Iowa, there are several state and county parks that are opened to deer hunting in order to keep them from being destroyed by those very creatures that many love to "watch".

The city of Iowa City has hire snipers over the past several years to accomplish this task, and statewide there have been several opportunities for hunters to kill geese within city limits. All in order to help landowners protect their own little pieces of heaven.

It's not unheard of and does a service to the nearby landowners as well as the course itself.

Research a bit before you spout off at the head, please.
09/19/05 @ 14:22
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
A little info for us girlie-man golfers ... if a ball lands in a pile of crap, the lie is treated like casual water. You may lift, clean and drop your ball at the nearest point of relief.

Now excuse me while I go kill something .... er, ah .... I mean commune with nature.
09/21/05 @ 07:57
Comment from: MrJ [Visitor]
Wolfrum comes across like a 12 yr old telling a stupid joke that he thinks is funny because of his limited life experience.

He has yet to respond intelligently to any of the criticism.

The whole point is the courses are likely closed during hunting season anyway. There isn't much ice-golf participation in Iowa. This fact makes the whole blog childish and ridiculous.

-MrJ

09/22/05 @ 16:38
Comment from: mr nonhunter [Visitor]
Iowa City is paying $100,000 to sharpshooters to shoot 500 deer. That's $200 a peice. Why not allow hunters to hunt anywhere in the whole state whenever they want? Including the stupid golf courses.
11/16/05 @ 20:01
Comment from: August Moose [Visitor]
Jesus freakin Christ. EVERYBODY has their panties in a knot on this one... A golfer is afraid a bunch of "Red necked hicks" are gonna mistake him for a deer and shoot him, and now because of it, all the hunters in Iowa are upset with him, and I am sure there are a few out there who will do just that if they get the chance...

So first of all WKW, I have a question. When was the last time you came to Iowa? And where exactly did you go? Because I can tell you as an outsider my self (I moved here from Colorado less than a year ago) I was worried. I am a responsible, ethical outdoors man, as well as a Wildlife officer in training, and I was terrified that I would run into a bunch of Beverly Hill-Billie’s out here hunting, and that one would surely kill me. But big surprise, I actually have yet to meet one. As a matter of fact, every one I have meet hunting was just as responsible and concerned about safety as I was. However, I can tell you that as with any state, there are some weirdoes here. Which is why I would advise you to be a bit more careful with what you say... Most of us are going to get pissed, leave a comment, and then let it go. But you might get lucky and have one of the TRUE nuts read it; and then you are in trouble. Further on that note, something you might want to keep in mind, pissing of a group of people who generally own at least 3-4 guns and have LOTS of friends that have the same generally is not wise. Plus angering an entire state by insulting its "hickness" and then expecting it to solve your problem: not very likely.

I can not comment on the number of courses out here, I do not care. Golf’s a waste of time to me. However, I know that golf courses are not even the beginning of where we can hunt deer. I live in Iowa City (central-eastern Iowa) and there are NUMEROUS communities around me that allow you to hunt anywhere in town. The golf course, the park, the library lawn, even peoples back yards. However, to get those types of licenses, you have to take a special safety course geared at educating the hunter on safety; both there’s and the safety of the people and objects around them. That’s all they talk about. Safe directions for shots, safe angles for shots, basic ballistics that help you predict where your bullet will hit the deer, and where it will go after wards, and just basically how to make sure you shot the deer and ONLY the deer. Also, hunters are only allowed to use archery equipment (bow and arrow for you golfers). So even if the hunter were to miss the deer, the arrow would stop with in 50-60 yards from where they shot from. And on top of that, most deer hunters out here use tree stands. So they would basically be shooting down at the ground further preventing the possibility of a stray shoot hitting someone, or something.

NOW, you mentioned it was the legislation you had a problem with. Well, first of all, as I mentioned before, any hunter hunting in an urban area is required by the state to take an EXTRA safety course. We all have to take one to hunt in the first place. So rest assured that if a city does pass legislation that allows hunters to hunt on golf courses, this and MANY other safety procedures will be in place. The city will surely close any city golf courses when a hunter will be on the course, as would a private club. Cautionary signs would be placed around the edges of the course, so that someone wouldn't simply be walking though and put themselves in danger.

Honestly, the next time you read something about Iowa, or anywhere else that makes you go "Oh my god, what a bunch of idiots", stop. Don't get on the web and right a slanderous article. Get on the web and do a little research. Find out if the idea really is as stupid as it sounds, or if the original author maybe left out a few (or a LOT in this case) of important facts. That way you do not sound like the ass hole you do now. Plus, you will not be putting you self in danger of someone reading this and being so agitated by your libel that they consider bringing you bodily harm.

If you have any other concerns or questions on hunting in general, or specifically in rural areas, I would be happy to help you understand the generals, as well as the specifics for either Colorado or Iowa (I worked and the Colorado division of wildlife and an officer and currently work with the Iowa Division of Natural Resources in training to become a Wildlife Officer.)

August Hendrickson
August_Moose@hotmail.com
01/19/06 @ 12:28
Comment from: August Moose [Visitor]
And Mr. NonHunter, I ca not comment on Iowa City paying sharpshooters, but I will investigate that and get back to you as quickly as I can.
01/19/06 @ 12:32
Comment from: August Moose [Visitor]
WKW, you know that "research" I mentioned you should do... Here is a great article to start on.

As for the Iowa City sharp-shooter... I was appalled to find out your right Mr. NonHunter... As the above article says, Iowa City spent nearly $300 a deer to have "White Buffalo, Inc.” (out of Connecticut) come in to the city and shoot them. In total 154 deer were shot, and $45,380 was spent (a bit lower than the original $100,000 Mr. NonHunter mentioned, but still, too much). And even though all of the meat was donated to non-profit organizations that feed the hungry, that is a lot of money. Further, I completely agree, we need to turn this expense into a revenue. I can assure you that I will be working with both the DRN and the city council to allow bow hunters to take care of the deer.
01/19/06 @ 15:45