« Trying To Make ParGolf Tips Are For Monkeys Podcast: Play Golf Like Vince Lombardi! »

Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Well, that sounds good, but the fact is that the swings characteristics do change when you switch from a wedge to a driver.

For instance, with the wedge your hands will be ahead of the clubface at contact, whereas with the driver they will be right above the clubface or slightly behind it. Also, with the driver your upper body will be tilted backwards more at contact. And these are just two of a number of differences.

Thus, great players can say whatever they want; it simply means that there's a disconnect between what they feel and reality.
04/18/07 @ 00:05
Comment from: Tony Blair [Visitor] Email
Judge, you are showing what Marc Solomon calls as being a "Monkey". If you take a photo at impact, what you're saying might be shown in the picture. But, that’s because of the way you set-up with the two different clubs. When you set up to a golf ball with an iron, the ball is somewhere around the center of your stance. And when you swing and your weight starts to transfer to your front foot, your hands might be in front of the ball. But when you set up with your driver, the ball is closer to your front foot, so as you swing towards the ball you will see that your hands are probably in a similar position in relation to your body as they are with your irons. For a right handed Golfer – that is somewhere near your left leg. It doesn’t matter if it’s your driver or wedge – your hands will be in a similar spot in relation to your body – forget about where they are in relation to the ball. They can’t be the same position because you have two different ball positions!

As far as the body tilt – again Snails – the different positions of the body reflect the different ball positions.

Judge Snails – you should really think about what you write before you write it. You’re showing why they probably named this article Golf Tips are for Monkeys – I would say that you’re a "Monkey".

Sincerely,

Tony Blair
04/18/07 @ 11:25
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Tony,

Is it the same swing if the ball is well above my feet, causing me to choke-up and swing on a much flatter plane? Another thing I could mention is that when you hit the driver, your hands are further from your body at address.

04/18/07 @ 14:41
Comment from: gpro55 [Visitor] Email
I think you took way too long to explain that tempo is the key to hitting all of your shots. Nick Price's swing takes about 1.6 seconds, Bob Murphy's about a day and a half. Yet each of their backswings match their forward swings when it comes to tempo. If the average player would match the "two halves" of their swing tempo wise, scores would drastically improve.

The math is a little off on the driver vs wedge comparison, too much of a clubhead speed differential to base it all on the loft.
04/18/07 @ 15:20
Comment from: chris [Visitor] Email
Love golf like I do......

Love golf but don't want to carry those heavy equipment bags with you when traveling?

No need to worry because International Golf Rental and Sales has helped me to solve my problem. Plus, there equipment has helped my game a little more, also my swing technique and now my shots are landing more often on the fairway. I’m so pleased!

Usually when it gets hot outside and I'm working at Budget Car Rental I see many people and customers carrying around those huge golf equipment bags in our rental cars so I thought to myself... "Wouldn't it be wise to just rent some equipment and save the hassle?"

And my response was absolutely! The next time I tee off I will consider golf rental and sales.

Don't believe me? Just check them out!

04/19/07 @ 09:54
Comment from: Jerry Smith (GMS Grad) [Visitor] Email
My swing for ALL of my clubs is exactly the same EXCEPT as the club gets longer my swing plane gets a tiny little bit flatter. That doesn't mean I change my swing, it just means that at setup, the length of the club determines the steepness or flatness of the swing plane.

The only other difference is I do hit the ball on the way up with my driver while I hit the ball just prior to the bottom of my swing with all other clubs. Both situations are predetermined during my setup.

With my driver, I tee the ball very high and slightly in front of my left foot. With this setup, the only way I can hit the ball is on the way up.

With my irons, hybrids, and fairway woods, I intentionally hit the ball and then hit the grass in front of the ball. This too is predetermined by my setup to the ball according to the club I am using. As long as I transfer my weight to my front foot as I downswing toward the ball, the club has to hit the turf in front of where the ball was at address.

Bottom Line....my SWING is the same for all clubs even though my setup differs slightly from short irons to long woods, including my driver.
04/25/07 @ 23:28
Comment from: Jack [Visitor] Email
Hitting a driver is not like hitting a wedge. I
have seen this advice before and it is wrong. Watch
any pro play, they do not swing these clubs
the same way.
05/11/07 @ 16:37
Comment from: rachelpabon [Visitor] Email
01/29/08 @ 11:16
Comment from: Kevin Nichols [Visitor]
rachelpabon: Unless you want to ride the short yellow bus forever, I STRONGLY suggest you put science on the back burner and study English. "Im doing a science fair project please help ASAP on golf balls and i need help so please help me?" Dear God, what are they teaching our kids in school today!?
01/29/08 @ 11:45
Comment from: ABUAS [Visitor] Email
Great jacket for golf or your sporting lifestyle:
the ABUAS Streamliner! Check it out www.abuas.com
03/09/09 @ 23:05
Comment from: sogaclubfitter [Visitor] Email
Although I agree that club length does have some effect on the difference in distance, loft makes up for most of the difference.

Why? Your left arm, from armpit to wrist is probably around 20 to 21 inches. That makes the total length of the driver fulcrum (driver + arm)approximately 65-66 inches while the total length of the pitching wedge fulcrum is approximately 55-56 inches. The difference between the two fulcrums is only about 18%.

If the driver hits the ball twice as far as a pitching wedge (100% more), where does the other 82% come from? Loft and maybe shaft performance.

07/11/09 @ 21:37
Comment from: Sanin [Visitor] Email
"I think it depends on how one defines "different swing." The differences are subtle, but they exist."

I agree with Judge Smails. It all comes down to your definition of "different". Fundamentally you swing all your clubs the same: weight shift, good tempo, solid swing center, proper uncoil, etc, but to say that you "feel" the same swinging a PW and a driver is ridiculous.

Your swing thought WILL BE and SHOULD BE different. More wrist hinge early for the wedge, wider backswing with a driver; more stable lower body for the wedge (since you COULD turn more due to the narrow stance but you SHOULD not), 60-40% weight distribution at the takeaway for the driver, etc...

You might even have a perceptible swing plane shift with the driver (see Tiger) while it's much harder to see "dropping in the slot" with the wedge due to inherently different angle of the swing plane.

If you would hinge your wrists when hitting a driver like you do when hitting a wedge the ball would go nowhere.

I believe that this "one swing for all" fallacy is the biggest reason while weekend players can't hit long clubs. Just standing more upright and further away from the ball will not result in a required sweeping motion if your swing thought is the wedge swing thought (hit down sharp).

So yes and yes: the swing is the same for each club (fundamentally) except it's somewhat different in thought and practice :-)
07/27/09 @ 14:12
Comment from: Omni [Visitor]
I agree completely with Sanin. Casual golfers heads are already being filled with so much garbage, that this type of thing just confuses people more.

Go by what works guys. Practice, practice, practice.

08/13/09 @ 13:49