« Whether it's Taylor Made, Titleist, or Cleveland, hybrids aren't always the answerMissing: Titleist 56 degree and Cleveland 60 degree wedges »

Comment from: Mark Parent [Visitor] Email
As a member of the Oscoda Board of Education and the only member to oppose the Administrations decision to cancel the varsity football season. I agree and applaud your stance on this issue. The football coach quoted the Nebraska University Strength and Conditioning standards, having only two students that met these standards, as the reason to cancel the season.
09/28/06 @ 18:49
Comment from: Lester Hinson [Visitor]
I heard it's a school for the blind.
09/29/06 @ 04:28
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
Great life lesson from the Oscoda school board. When faced with a difficult challenge - JUST QUIT !! (but be sure to quote some study or something... Google a couple key words... you'll find something that sounds authoritative).

09/29/06 @ 07:44
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor] Email
FYI (from the Oscoda Press, 9-28-06):

"...this is not the first time Tobin has cancelled a varsity football season after four losses.

As reported in the Iosco County News-Herald on Oct. 9, 1991, Tobin did the same thing when he was Whittemore-Prescott’s athletic director and head football coach, telling a reporter that a number of factors led to the decision.

There are many similarities in what Tobin said then and what Beardsley and other Oscoda administrators say now. At times, the wording used is identical.

Tobin is quoted in 1991 as saying, “On Tuesday I was told by most of the players, not all of them, that they did not want to continue the season. It hurts, I don’t like it, and it’s embarrassing.” He also said that a low turnout for varsity football combined with injuries were key elements that led to the forfeiture of the five remaining games. He said that he had few experienced players, and only seven or eight were what he considered to be of varsity caliber.

In 1991, Tobin stressed that low numbers of players gave him no alternative but to terminate the season, yet people at Whittemore-Prescott High School who were there at the time refute this.

“To Kyle Tobin winning is everything,” one said bluntly. “If he can’t at least make a respectable showing, he isn’t going to play. You have to understand Tobin’s ego.” "

09/29/06 @ 08:00
Comment from: Jamey Haneckow [Visitor] Email
I want to thank you for your point of view, my son was an Oscoda varsity senior football players and is quite upset along with the rest of the team. The injuries that this team suffered did not warrant the canceling of the season. Unfortunately, the players are quickly becoming the vilians in this situation, being ridiculed and looked upon as being a bunch of wimps. Mark Parent mentioned that standard for strength and conditioning standards, I would like to know how that is figured, my son is 150 lbs and benching 190. It doesn't seem to me that lifting over your own body weight would not meet the standards. Oh, he was not one of the two that met the requirements. Again, I just wanted to say thank you for touching on the bigger problem.
09/30/06 @ 01:06
Comment from: Ken Chase [Visitor] Email
Cancelling the season is the most outragest thing I can think of. Next the school board will eleiminate grades because we might leave someone behind. If we do it could be the best thing for that child. I can remember, in Milton WI in 1952 our season was cancelled because of polio. 2 of our team contacted the deaded deasen but we got over it. The next season we were short older members and we were playing scholl 3 to 4 times our size. We might have won 1 games but we did not give up. As a matter of fact out school and parent were behind us 100%. For the school board to stop the season is a shame. For the players who can come back next year and tell the school board to go to hell.
09/30/06 @ 20:14
Comment from: Evil Hater [Visitor] Email
Eliminating whites in America is the ultimate goal. Face it. Everything else is just
a smokescreen, so whitey will go quietly.
10/01/06 @ 12:05
Comment from: RonMon [Visitor] Email
I started to write a blog decrying and refuting every point Spencer made here as trumped-up, inventive fiction. However, I couldn't finish it, so I quit. I then went to the kitchen to make myself a bowl of soup, but couldn't find the saucepan, so I quit looking. Afterward, I tried to stay up late to watch the news, to quiet my hunger, but I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I quit trying and fell into slumber.
--That Tobin Guy.
10/02/06 @ 07:13
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
EDUCATION IN THE USA HAS BECOME A DISASTER!! WE ARE RANKED 27TH IN THE WORLD. THE JAPANESE GRADUATE 10 TIMES MORE ENGINEERS A YEAR THAN WE DO, HOWEVER, THE USA GRADUATES 10 TIMES MORE LAWYERS A YEAR THAN THE JAPANESE DO.
10/14/06 @ 20:56
Comment from: craig summers [Visitor] Email
As an alumni of OHS (68-72), I was replused and embarrassed by this decison. While I was in school (elementary -high school), OHS always had a fine, outstanding football program. We had dedicated coaches who knew how to coach and who were willing to teach the fundamenatls to all players. We had several players go on to play div 1 football and many others palying the sport in other college levels.
This decision sounds to me like some lazy choice by a coaching staff, HS administration and school board to take an easy way out. The coach should be fired because he is not dedicated to buliding a program and the administration should be fired as well. As for the school board, the voters need to decide if they want these kind of people runnning their schools and developing their children. Let's just quit when the tough gets going. A great example for our youth!
01/05/07 @ 20:28
Comment from: B.Wind (OAHS '76) [Visitor]
Once a quitter, twice a quitter - Tobin must go. He is an embarrassment to the blue and white who has managed to help turn my beloved high school into a laughingstock.

This would have been unheard-of only a few years ago... and unfathomable for any OAHS coach and his team to give less than 100% effort even earlier (at one point, the strength of the Owls helped "push" three schools out of the Northern B Conference).

But a decade after he pulled the same trick on Whittemore-Prescott, Tobin gave everybody associated with Oscoda Area High School a black eye. Shame on the district for hiring him in the first place.
01/16/07 @ 14:24
Comment from: Parent of a Teenager [Visitor]
In regards to "Congratulations Oscoda district, for you have officially lost touch with the human element of society and of education."
Don't even start to blame the schools sir! It is the parents in this world that have taken away every right the school has to control ANYTHING! Kids have become TOTALLY UNRULY and disrespectful! Parents do not like schools disciplining their kids so we have lost control of them! Kids have also become lazy and thinking they deserve everything without working for it! Schools hands are tied! As parents we can't even discipline our kids without some other NOSEY people thinking we are abusing our kids! Now you tell me WHO failed...PARENTS and NOT school districts! As an Oscoda native, WORK FOR IT KIDS OR DO NOT DESERVE IT! Hand outs should NOT be an option! And Oscoda has NEVER had an all-star football team! They didn't win 15+ years ago and they aren't winning now!
01/18/07 @ 08:51
Comment from: '91 alum [Visitor] Email
holy schnikeys...where did Wainwright and Bovan go??!! they coached pretty good teams while i was there (88-91). i agree with the embarassment that the other alumni are voicing. makes me want to send the good old blue sweatshirt with the white oscoda printed on it back to the hs bookstore where i bought it to remind some people that there used to be school spirit and "owl pride." and here i thought that the administration and board of education were messed up in the head when i went there. did they cancel the basketball season for the same reasons?!
02/01/07 @ 18:21
Comment from: thuglord [Visitor]
the O.T.C. will take charge or Oscoda now....Like they haven't been for years anyways...blue head rags should set them together...
07/25/07 @ 19:52
Comment from: Z post [Visitor] Email
If a team can not score a single point in four games and the board feels that they need something to happen. Then The best option would be to Fire the Coaching staff and hire someone like ME.
I will donate 1/2 my pay to the school/ football program for the first year. If I can't bring a winning season to the school In one year then I will gladly walk.
I will drive from Grand Rapids everyday to coach.
12/10/08 @ 19:20
Comment from: Beaver [Visitor] Email
thanks mark i know you tried your best you are the only board member that looked out for us at that stupid school the rest of the board should of listened to you on this and many other decisions you know who i am and why i say thanks.
01/15/09 @ 16:26

This post has 2 feedbacks awaiting moderation...