« The Callaway HX Pearl- Because it takes a real man to play a ladies' ballJim Furyk, Jim Thorpe, and Retief Goosen: The golf gods' master plan »

Comment from: putt4par [Visitor]
As much as there is still rampant racism in America and the world, Bonds can't use that card.

I don't think Tiger has to worry too much. I'm still not too sure how much racism is involved with another unamed young golfers detracters but I guess we'll never really know for sure.
05/10/06 @ 21:54
Comment from: Brad Moore [Visitor]
Joe Morgan was on Bos Costas' HBO show last week and said "Race is involved in everything in America" (answering a direct question from Costas asking him if racism is involved in Bonds' "alleged" steroid use). Maybe since I'm not African American my opinion is not as valid as Joe Morgans, but I couldn't disagree more. I think every darn one of them that used steroids should be thrown out of the game (if it can be proved), but notice some of the others didn't have near the p.r. problem Bonds has had: Jason Giambi, Mark McGuire, and Raphael Palmeiro to name a few.

The real answer is Bonds is a self-righteous jerk, doesn't care, and probably never will care. It's nobody's fault but his own.

I find it hard to believe that Steroids will ever be a major problem in golf. Bulking up too much would actually be counter-productive because of the flexibility problems that would bring.
05/11/06 @ 06:36
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
Spence,

Good, thought-provoking stuff. As a white guy, I definitely will accept the argument that non-whites suffer from racism in ways I don't really comprehend. It is there and always will be to an extent.

But, honestly, for someone to lament over the racism Bonds is undergoing now? It's an insult to Hank Aaron.

Aaron was a great player, teammate and just a credit to baseball. And he started out in the Negro Leagues. Hammering Hank went through living hell to break Ruth's record and he came through respected and with class.

Anything Bonds is dealing with is of his own making, and not a 100th of what the great Aaron went through.

Tiger deals with racism. I worked on the sports page of a good-sized newspaper a while back, and we'd get hate mail for running Tiger stories -- regardless of how often Tiger won, which as we know is/was more than anyone else. Yet people complained, and used racist language to get their points across.

Still, Tiger now is in that Michael Jordan area -- the majority of sports fans of all colors are mesmerized by someone who can be so great at a sport. And his ability to handle his fame (unlike Bonds) is something the vast majority can respect.

As for steroids in golf: They aren't just about bulking up. It could happen, and likely already has and is happening.

--WKW
05/11/06 @ 07:11
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Hux, A few years ago when Barry was threatening the home run record which he eventually surpassed, rumors were swirling that pitchers of African- American and/or Hispanic backgrounds were serving up gopher balls to Barry so that he would pass Mark McGwire. Those rumors had the same degree of credibility as do the current conspiracy theories about racism being the basis for Barry's image troubles.
05/11/06 @ 09:21
Comment from: Chris Reitsma [Visitor]
Spence,

Great article. I think Tiger and Bond's approach to their respective games is what makes them so different (likeable). Tiger practices diligently and has the utmost respect for the game of golf. His talent and motivation make him a great role model. Bonds has always been a jerk since his days at Arizona State, where the majority of his teammates voted him off of the team. Luckily, his manager cut him a break. Keep those articles coming, see you this weekend.
05/11/06 @ 16:09
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
One thing that used to irk me when Tiger started his dominant stretch in 2000-2001 was that the headlines would read "Woods 6 Shots Behind in Masters/Open/PGA" followed MAYBE by a smaller headline like "Joe Schmoe leads by 2". I just felt it was disrespectful treatment of the rest of the field. Typical media hype & overkill. Things have leveled out a bit now.

But it will always be an argument as to who was the most dominant golfer of all time. I'd have to say Bobby Jones. In the 8 year period culminating in his retirement at the tender age of 28, he won 4 US Opens and 3 (British) Open Championships. The kicker is that he only entered 3 Open Championships in those 8 years. Of those other 4 US Opens that he did not win, he finished 2nd in 3 of them. There was no Masters back then and since he was an amateur, he was not eligible for the PGA Championship. I won't even mention the Amateur titles, but he did all of this while playing only about 80 rounds/year. How soon we forget!
05/12/06 @ 13:23
Comment from: Adam Keefe [Visitor]
Spencer,

You are right on as usual. Collin Cowherd is how I spend every weekday from 10-1. You know it, and I know it.

Booyaaaa
05/12/06 @ 15:24
Comment from: F. L. Davis [Visitor]
Neither Bonds nor Woods has been the "victim" of racism. Were they 20 or more years older, it might be a different story.

Bonds is a whiner.
05/12/06 @ 17:25
Comment from: Toby [Visitor]
Joe Morgan is right up there with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan and all the other race pimps in America. If you can stand to sit through an entire 9 innings of a Sunday night ESPN game, you will hear several comments from him trumpeting the plight of every black player to ever put on a uniform. The worst part is that his white co-announcers get put on the spot and have no choice but to agree with his rediculous ramblings about how if Satchel Paige was still pitching and Josh Gibson catching, the Braves would have never won a division title. Joe Morgan sucks and he should follow Tiger Woods' example of how to win and lose with class. Minority or not!
05/15/06 @ 22:00
Comment from: Toby [Visitor]
Anyone remeber The Simpson's episode when Mr. Burns hired the ringers to win a company softball game? Was'nt Barry Bonds the one whose head doubled in size after drinking some kind of tonic? Those writers must have had a crystal ball or worked for Balco.
05/15/06 @ 22:22
Comment from: William K. Wolfrum [Visitor]
Sorry Toby, I'm just about positive that was Ken Griffey's hideously bloated head.

Damned elephantitis.

--WKW
05/16/06 @ 12:25
Comment from: Danny Collins [Visitor]
You know, most racists deny racism exists and if they acknowledge racism, it is now presented as if black people created racism. Two people have approached Babe Ruth in the 40 years, and they both received hate mail. Did he write it to himself...Didn't Lance Armstrong's trainer get busted for distributing steroids? Wasn't a book written about his use of performance enhancing drugs? Yet the media ignored these stories. Why no interest when it's Lance? Oh, he never tested positive. We remember what the media said a reporter found "andro," a performance enhancing drug in Mark McGwire's locker during his (which was wildly celebrated) 1998 homerun chase. This isn't checkers! All of this crying about Bonds passing the last great white hope; your segregation era myth, is a slap in Hank Aaron's face...or you do know that he has the record. Think of Babe Ruth this way...what if Tiger Woods could not play in the PGA? How would Tiger absence "enhance" what history would eventually say about Phil Mickelson? Would the media be comparing Phil to Jack right now? How many majors would Phil have won in the last few years?
05/18/06 @ 15:26
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Danny Collins, I've read and re-read your post and I honestly can't figure out your message. What do you mean by the last 40 years? What relevance does that time frame have? Do you refer to Babe Ruth as the last great white hope? What is a slap in Hank Aaron's face? Danny, please make yourself more clear. Thanks
05/19/06 @ 14:07
Comment from: Danny Collins [Visitor]
Resent: You know, most racists would vehemently deny racism even exists and if they acknowledge racism, it is now presented as if black people created racism. Two people have approached Babe Ruth's homerun in the last 40 years, and they both received hate mail and death threats; Aaron and Bonds. Did they write the hate mail to themselves?...Didn't Lance Armstrong's trainer get busted for distributing steroids? Wasn't a book written about his use of performance enhancing drugs? Yet the media ignored these stories. Why no interest when it's Lance? Oh yeah, he's the "most tested person alive" according to the media. MEMO: This is a person who would be in the market for undetectable steroids! We remember what the media said after a reporter found "andro," a performance enhancing drug in Mark McGwire's locker during his wildly celebrated 1998 homerun chase. This is chess, not checkers! All of this crying about Bonds passing the greatest of the great white hopes; a segregation era myth, is a slap in Hank Aaron's face...or have you forgotten that Aaron owns the homerun record. Think of Babe Ruth's segregation aided legacy this way: What if Tiger Woods could not play on the PGA tour? How would Tiger's absence have "enhanced" Phil Mickelson's legacy? Would the media be comparing Phil to the "golden bear" right now? How many majors would Phil have won the last few years?
05/18/06 @ 15:26
05/23/06 @ 11:38
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Danny Collins, Well if that's the best you can do I'll have to live with it . In case you didn't know, what I asked for was a clarification of your message, not a repetition of it.
05/23/06 @ 15:12
Comment from: Kadis [Visitor]

It’s funny how people will still consider babe Ruth the greatest home run hitter of all-time. Yeah he Hit 714, that’s great.... But remember. He played against all white players. His legacy would have been different had baseball been segregated at the time. No-one can say for sure what he would have hit, but it would have not been the same if he played against the players in the Negro league. And why do people constantly move Hank to the side, as if his 755 just some how doesn’t count. Its like saying if you jump 10 feet and I jump 14 feet, you are some how still better then I am. That makes absolutely no sense at all. How can you deny the numbers? If it were the other way around would people still feel the same? If hank Aaron had hit 714 first and then babe came along and hit 755, would people then say Hank was the best? Absolutely not. Why, because Hank Aaron is black and the Babe is considered white. Think about the Boston Celtics. How is it that Larry Bird who only won 3 titles is considered the greatest Celtic, when Russell won nine and coached the team? That’s Cleary racism at its finest. Some one please prove me wrong. If you are honest with your self you can't deny these facts. Greatness should not be based on skin color but numbers and merit. I love all people, why can't every one else do the same.
05/25/06 @ 02:00
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Kadis. I find your means of expressing your "love" for all people a little strange but at the same time somewhat humorous. According to your method of evaluating human tolerance and understanding, anyone who rates Babe Ruth over Hank Aaron, or Larry Bird over Bill Russell is a racist, but anyone with opposite views is a paragon of unbiased virtue. Do similar sympathies carry over to other personalities in other walks of life as well as sports? If I say that Pope John Paul was a greater man of God than Martin Luther King jr., would that make me a racist? If I were to say that Luther Burbank was a greater botanist than George Washington Carver, would I, in your opinion, be a racist? How about William Jennings Bryan being a more accomplished orator than Frederick Douglas? And what if I had the unspeakable nerve to say that I think that, at least until this point, Jack Nicklaus is slighly better than Tiger Woods? Would any or all of these opinions brand me as an unrepentant racist? Incidentally, I think that ALL the aforementioned gentlemen were outstanding in their various fields.
05/25/06 @ 12:51
Comment from: kadis [Visitor]
I agree with you 100%. It does not make you racist to think highly of one person over another. Yet in still, racism plays a part in the decisions by the masses to choose one person over another, when in sports its supposed to be based on numbers. How can there even be an argument that babe was a better homerun hitter than hank. If we are supposed to choose based on the numbers isn’t it clear who is the best. Yeah what you were saying is true about those men all being great men. I would never choose who was a better man in those cases. They all helped people. But we are dealing with numbers now, and sports. Not politics and religion.. Just numbers. Hank played against better pitchers and better player’s period. And slugged more home runs in. So answer my question. If hank were to slug 714 first would he then be considered the greatest? Or do the numbers not count because its babe. Why is it that babe is considered to be Baseball but hank is considered just a player? Why? My point is not to call those who think babe is great a racist but to point out that racism plays a part in how we and the media choose who is considered who is great. Why is Larry Bird considered the greatest Celtic to ever play? Russell Has the Best Numbers, has one the most titles and suffered more at the hand of racism more than Larry bird has ever had to experience. Ohh, my fault, he experienced zero. I'm not taking anything away from Larry, but by saying that some how he is the greatest takes away from the man who did so much more and gets zero recognition for his accomplishment. I appreciate your comments. And trust me, if you knew the type of person I am you would understand that I do love and respect all. You find it humorous to say that and I find it a good thing to say and do.
05/25/06 @ 13:41
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Kadis, I have never before heard anyone say that Larry Bird was the greatest Celtic of them all, better than Bill Russell. They played different positions, and thus their contributions to ther teams were different. The same with Babe and Hank. They played in different eras in what could be argued as a different game. Whether or not Hank faced better pitching is your opinion, but that's all it is , pure speculation. It could be argued that had Babe played as long as Hank and had as many at-bats, he would have hit more home runs, but that too would be nothing but speculation. It wouldn't prove a thing. In a lighter vein, the best all around baseball player that I ever saw play in person would have to be Roberto Clemente, with Willie Mays a close second, and Joe DiMaggio third.. As far as pure hitters that I've seen play, they rank in order, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, and George Brett. Sluggers are Hank Aaron, Jimmy Foxx and Harmon Killebrew. I omit McGwire, Bonds, and Sosa as being drug tainted . As far as basketball goes, Oscar "Big O" Robertson was the best ever in my opinion, and of course, Michael Jordan was the ultimate, flashy superstar. See, Kadis, no racism here.
05/25/06 @ 14:12
Comment from: kadis [Visitor]
I am from Boston, so believe me; he is considered the greatest in the eyes of Bostonians. Now does saying Larry bird is the best make you a racist. Absolutely not. Could there and is there some racial temperament behind allot of these statements, yes. Had Bill Russell Been white would the perspectives of the Bostonians have changed towards him. Absolutely...Why? Because people like to rout for there own people first, it’s almost a natural reaction. You know it and I know it.

ight man.... peace
05/25/06 @ 18:16
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
I don't know, Kadis, I've been to Boston on many occasions. They have some real sports fans there. I've NEVER heard a white Bostonian have anything but the highest praise for Bill Russell. Or a black Bostonian have anything but the best to say of Larry Bird. I can't see how the opinions of any Beantowners could be altered no matter what the race of their heroes. You may know differently, but I can assure that I do not.
05/25/06 @ 20:37
Comment from: kadis [Visitor]
cool.. Good chatting with you. It was fun. I'll hollla at you during another discussion..

Be safe man....
05/25/06 @ 22:30
Comment from: kadis [Visitor]
And if you have time. read this article, you may find it of interst about bonds, boston, Russel and sports in this great city. Peace man..

05/25/06 @ 22:33
Comment from: mallory [Visitor]
I agree that all the old baseball records are not as strong as the more current ones, mainly because of the competition.

That said, one reason some people say Babe was a greater home run hitter than Hank, is that Babe hit homers far more often. Hank averaged one homer every 16.37 at bats. Ruth averaged one homer every 11.76 at bats. Aaron never hit 50 home runs in one season. Ruth did several times. And Ruth spent his first 3 to 4 seasons pitching -- he was the beste pitcher of his era. Had he played every day back then, he would likely have hit well over 800 home runs in his career.
05/28/06 @ 14:51
Comment from: Booger [Visitor]
The only racism worthy of note these days is the monumental hatred of white people by the Federal Government. Wake up, Bozos.
06/14/06 @ 17:56
Comment from: g man [Visitor] Email
lets do the right thing here and just look at the
stats.... the babe was so much better than everyone
of his era. a year or two he hit more homeruns than any other team in the league. he leads very stat available in hitting in the same number of bats .... i think bonds is a great player maybe in the top 5 but i dont think he is the greatest ..even with the help of steroids he still comes up second to ruth in the same number of at bats. race should not b a factor, i think wilt was the greatest basketball player ever .....but u know , bird was good too !! hey u dont ever hear about pete maravich still holding all the college scoring records.......racism....lol
05/25/07 @ 19:23
Comment from: Adrian [Visitor] Email
For all you Larry Bird bashers out there, he won a respectable 3 titles and is still arugbly the best ever. Yes, I said best ever, especially at his position, small foward. He won Rookie of the Year, 9 straight All NBA 1st team selections, 3 straight MVPs, 2 final MVPs, some ALL defensive nba selections, an olympic gold medal and 3 championships without a Kareem, Shaq or Chamberlin. Parish and Mchale were good but they couldn't win championships bythemselfs. When Russell was playing there were only like eight nba teams in the league, and i'm sure easier to win a championship. Keep in mind Larry Bird had to face Magic, Jordan, and a probably the best players the league has ever seen. His stats were incredible too, He had 5 years of over .400 from beyond the arc, which is incredible, some years he had like .427, .419. Last years top 3 point field goal percentager was Jason Kapone and he barley cracked .400. Larry bird was the best all around player ever. He had an inside and outside game, was a good defensive player, one of the best clutch players, and could even post in the paint. Micheal Jordan couldn't post in the paint and his 3 point shots weren't nearly as good as Birds. So the number of championships doesn't rank how good of a player you are, Robert Horray has 7 and he wasn't even ever an all-star. Along with Bird's stats, dominance in the eastern conference, the leader of 3 nba championships teams, numerous personal awards like 3 consecutive mvps, Bird is the Babe Ruth of basketball. There might have been a few players a little better than him, but he's still the legend.
08/22/07 @ 18:11
Comment from: HP [Visitor]
Tiger will get a surprise as this approaches. No black man ever escapes this. NONE. Jack title is safe. Something will pop up.
01/09/08 @ 21:31
Comment from: drug rehab [Visitor]
Ain't it weird, the best golf player, golf being invented by Irish or something, is Tyger Woods, an african-american player and the best basketball player is white.
01/30/08 @ 18:20

This post has 10 feedbacks awaiting moderation...