« Part 2: Pinehurst 2,Whistling Straits- What really makes a golf course great for the average player?Pete Dye's island green not even close to the best hole at the TPC Stadium Course »

Comment from: Eye On Golf [Visitor]
Spencer,
You're off to a good start. After 48 years of golf it has been easy to determine that the number of stars of the number of $$$ charged to play does not mean fun and memorable. All it really means is an over-priced architect and a big ad in all the major golf magazines. No offense but anyone who pays $250 for a round of golf is getting swept up in the media blitz.
03/26/06 @ 08:05
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
I have to disagree with Spencer on Whistling Straits. I played it (and revewed it) the day after I took a golf lesson, and was working on a few aspects of my swing. Bad idea. I was utterly unable to get off the tee that day--lots of half-topped worm-burners and wild slices. Nevertheless, I shot a 90 from the blue tees (second from the back). I was able to play long irons and fairway woods up into the run-up areas in front of most of the greens, and chip and put to a bogey round. Not bad for the first time playing there, playing with three strangers, taking notes and pictures, and fighting the wind.

In sum, I don't think the course is unfair at all. Hard, but not unfair.
03/26/06 @ 12:14
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
BTW, reviews of the other American Club courses can be found at the above site. I DID find a few of the holes at the River Course at Blackwolf Run to be unfair.
03/26/06 @ 12:16
Comment from: Spencer Hux [Visitor]
I didn't get to play the River Course, but I did play Meadow Valleys, which had some exceptional holes, and others that are very very very average.

Kiel- How do you not think 18 is unfair? I think it is one of the worst holes I've ever played at a good golf course. And 5? Totally out of place at Whistling Straits. Oh well, to each his own. I'll check out your course reviews.
03/26/06 @ 12:25
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor]
I don't recall anything about 18 other than my poor tee shot, a decent 3-wood recovery, a chip onto that enormous green, and a two-putt bogey--pretty typical that day. Didn't seem unfair at all to me. Which part seemed unfair to you?
03/27/06 @ 10:45
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
Spence, you and I have a big disagreement on Pinehurst No. 2. I've never played a more fun course in the U.S. There is room off the tee for us mere mortals although to be agressive you need to be more precise. The challenge increases as you get nearer the hole. The green complexes are the most interesting I've ever encountered. Imagination enhances your options for recovery shots around them. I have not yet played Royal Dornoch (next year, God willing) but I understand they are similar.

In your article above you didn't say what "fun" means to you.
03/27/06 @ 12:35
Comment from: Spencer Hux [Visitor]
Mr. Shanks-
I tried to describe my idea of fun in part 2. I knew I'd be running the risk of sounding ignorant by calling Pinehurst plain. I do agree that the green structures are something special. For me, there are several other courses I'd rather play, and I just don't think it gives $250 worth of value. For example, (and I"ll mention this course in more detail in a future piece), The Golf Club at Cuscowilla in Oconee, GA is similar to Pinehurst in every way, but I think it is a more exciting and unique layout with outstanding greens. It's also about 1/2 of the price.
03/27/06 @ 13:26
Comment from: Jamsout [Visitor] Email
I enjoyed my round at Whistling Straits. I didn't score, but the scenery, the caddies and the walking experience were very memorable. I'm looking forward to returning and see if I can shoot 90. Kohler is a wonderful golf destination.
03/07/07 @ 21:07
Comment from: golfgod [Visitor] Email
I am a caddie at Whistling Straits and although 18 is
a hard hole, if played right par is not out of the
question at all. Its a great course and you need to
play it atleast once in your life. As for #5, there
was not much Pete could do with that hole because of
the enviromental issues the DNR was putting up with
the lakes they coudln't remove. Most people love the
experience.
04/25/07 @ 16:50
Comment from: jordan 12 shoes [Visitor]
A stitch in time saves nine.
12/28/10 @ 00:52

This post has 5 feedbacks awaiting moderation...