« No stopping Asian invasion on LPGA Tour believe Inkster, Ochoa. Also, look down go down and turn bad shots into new opportunitiesHow Harrington used course management to top Norman at the British Open, Michelle Wie DQ, take the first step to winning and how to choose your first driver »

62 comments

Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
With a star-studded list of PGA Tour professionals attending the WGC Bridgestone Invitational, tournament directors at the B-List event realized that offering a precious exemption to a relative unknown was tantamount to television suicide, so why not offer the golden ticket to the princess of DQ’s and MC’s?

Brother, you guys are a real class act!
2008-07-29 @ 10:14
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
Joe, it may not be the most flattering of descriptions, but whether or not the Wie'd Whackers approve, the Tournament directors know an attraction for their venue, even when Bivens and the girls don't.
With Bivens and Sorenstam continuing to take whacks at Wie, it only adds to the mystique.

Controversy makes good viewing. Stearns and company at the LR-TO, are loving the attention.

I'm still betting that Wie and the LR-TO get more press than the Richoh will. What tournament director can resist that?
2008-07-29 @ 13:57
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
The LPGA should get rid of Bivens and replace with the Reno Tahoe tournament director.

Even with all the history of bad blood between Bivens and Wie, Bivens could have made peace at the time of the last DQ by accepting blame for the incident because she didn't see toit that the scoring tent was staffed by professiobnals. She could then have offerrred to try to make things up to Michelle by giving her the non-exempt LPGA membership for the rest of the year that she might have earned with a win. It stil might have been possible for Wie to play the Evian--the last chance Wie would have to break Creamer's age record, and the next week an exemption to the Ricoh would have been possible--the last chance to break Pressel's record. Nothing Bivens can do now can make up for that lost opportunity.

2008-07-29 @ 14:56
Comment from: Lepre-Con [Visitor] Email
Jim C, stop making excuses for Michelle Wie. Bivens owes her nothing! Michelle Wie should have joined the LPGA as a full-time member at the start of the season, but she knew that she wouldn't be able to make it through Q School -- and how embarrassing that would be for The Great Michelle Wie. And why should Bivens accept blame for Wie's inability to correctly sign her score card? What you sugget would simply get Michelle Wie used to having people bend the rules for her so that she can skate by without earning anything in life

Creamer and Pressel have those records because they willingly embraced the LPGA, whereas Michelle Wie thumbs her nose at it.
2008-07-29 @ 16:58
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
putt4par,
It looks like Leadbetter is ready to throw in the towel. Evidently he was not asked for his opinion about Wie skipping the Ricoh and attending the Reno-Tahoe. Michelle is one of his best gravy trains and I doubt if he will weigh anchor anytime soon. Perhaps Michelle's arrogance and stubbornness stems from the fact that she has $30,000,000 in the bank and really doesn't give a rats ass.
Looking back in time, the worst thing that could have happen to Michelle was missing the cut by one stroke at the Sony. In fact she lipped out three birdie putts during that tournament. The "Golden Child" was about to conquer the golf scene and everyone wanted a piece of the action. I think she will miss the cut by a large margin and finish low at the Canadian Open, thus not getting her LPGA card for 2009. She will return to classes at Stanford in September and look forward to her six exemptions in 2009. I do not think she has any desire to join the LPGA Tour.
2008-07-29 @ 17:44
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
putt4par,
I forgot to mention that Michelle is getting more attention in Reno than the defending champion! The crazy world we live in.
2008-07-29 @ 17:47
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
With all of the trouble the LPGA is having keeping sponsors, wasn't Carol Biven's last job before joining the LPGA a corporate head hunter? What do they say .. "a heart of stone."
2008-07-29 @ 17:51
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
‘I’m not going to focus on making the cut. My goal is to make fewer bogeys and more birdies. Focus on the little things and it’ll take care of itself.’

Then what is the point Michelle to even play in the tournament? Do you consider this simply a practice round?

2008-07-29 @ 17:57
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
I’m not going to focus on making the cut. My goal is to make fewer bogeys and more birdies. Focus on the little things and it’ll take care of itself.

Joe cool, let me interpret this simple statement for you. If I make fewer bogeys and more birdies and really focus on what I'm doing I'll make the cut.
2008-07-29 @ 21:31
Comment from: Visitor [Visitor]
Leadbetter weighs in: “I’ve put too much time and effort into Michelle to be able to sit by and watch this happening without saying something,” Leadbetter said. “If she doesn’t stick to doing what’s sensible, we could see one of the greatest potential talents the game has ever known going to waste. “There’s far too much negative energy surrounding her at the moment...She’s going to be like a pariah if she's not careful.” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/womensgolf/2471239/Women's-golf-David-Leadbetter-critical-of-Michelle-Wie's-entry-to-Reno-Tahoe-Open.html
2008-07-29 @ 21:57
Comment from: JR [Visitor] Email
Jim C... there you go again wanting folks to give things to MW that she did not earn. And remember, it was MW's fault that she was DQ'd. After all, she is an adult.
2008-07-29 @ 22:02
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
Oh boy, this is guarenteed to put the Wie'd Whackers into their spin cycles.

http://www.pga.com/2008/news/pgatour/07/29/MichelleWie_specialcoverage/

George, Alex, Judge... Baldy? Hello? Oh yeah, Stacy, I'm sure you'll add to the rhetoric too.

Wie is gonna upstage the LPGA and piss 'em off again.
2008-07-29 @ 22:35
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Bivens may not owe MW anything, but MW sure owes Bivens all she can give her. Remember two years ago going into the British Open when 16 year old MW was #2 in the world and would have taken over the number one spot with a win. Bivens changed the rules on Monday of the British Open too make sure it could not happen. That had to be the greatest mind F### in the history of the LPGA and to a 16 year old kid. I for one hope MW makes the cut this week and tons of fans switch from the British Open to watch MW play this weekend. With the economy and Bivens at the head, the LPGA is not looking too good these days. Like MW or not, she is like a Tiger Woods to the LPGA fans and they follow her on the LPGA or PGA. So who needs who and I will be really surprised if MW goes to Q school. So I guess we can expect a hand full of LPGA appearances next year and probably more PGA mixed in until she manages to win one.
2008-07-30 @ 02:54
Comment from: Lepre-Con [Visitor]
Vale,
How dare you say Michelle Wie is like the Tiger Woods of the LPGA. Tiger Woods has 54 career wins, 14 Major wins, and is a proen talent that has earned all of his endorsements by constantly WINNING. Michelle Wie doesn't compare in the least bit. Tiger's true LPGA equal would be Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa, or Paula Creamer. Me personally, I watch the LPGA to see the talent of Annika, Lorana, and paula -- as well as to catch a glimpse or two of Natalie Gulbis.
Michelle Wie is more akin to Dale Earnhardt Jr. -- all hype and endorsements. But at least Dale Jr. won Daytona (both the 500 and the July 4 race) and is competitive this season in the points race.
You know what, scratch that. I wouldn't want to insult Dale Jr. like that. Michelle Wie is more like the guy from Dan and Dave (from I believe the 1992 Olympics) that didn't even make the Olympic trials. And once again Nike was at the helm of that disaster as well.
2008-07-30 @ 09:17
Comment from: Lepre-Con [Visitor] Email
I meant to say Tiger has 64 career wins.
2008-07-30 @ 09:18
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
I think this will work out for everyone. And here's how:

The 1st and 2nd round of the Reno-Tahoe open will get more TV audience and media interest than the weekend.

Come Sat and Sun after Wie misses the cut, everyone can go back to paying attention to the Women Brit Open and WGC. As for Reno Tahoe, they might have to give away tickets, but at least they get 2 days of Wie.
2008-07-30 @ 10:12
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Lepre-con,

I agree with you except on one point. The other women you mentioned, such as Sorenstam, would not be the LPGA version of Woods. Sorenstam had a few unbelievable years, but that's it. There is no LPGA equivalent of Woods at the moment, and there may not be one for a long time.
2008-07-30 @ 10:50
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
Wow, putt4par, Michelle Wie coverage as opposed to 'what's his name' who won last year? I guess the PGA Tour realized what coverage works well for them.

I also agree with Oui...the first two days the internet is going to be jammed with Wie stories.

As far as Ms. Bivens, she must realize the huge interest generated by Wie. Perhaps she has something up her sleeve?
2008-07-30 @ 11:47
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
2 days Stacy? 2 days Oui?

Her DQ was 11 days ago and the 'net is still abuzz with Wie stories. While we might all wish they'd go away, it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

And I'm betting that even without making the cut, Wie stories will dominate the weekend stories on and off the net.
So much for Bivens and any publicity she might wish to garner from the Ricoh.
I was sure that someone mentioned that Bivens was a big shot in Advertising with some magazine. So far, she hasn't done a heck of a lot of good for the LPGA. She's lost and is losing tournaments faster than folks are losing houses.
Stacy said: "With the LPGA struggling to keep several of its its events alive for 2009, it would be a wise idea for Carolyn Bivens to consider giving Michelle Wie a full-blown exemption for the new season."
And while it would give all the Wie'd Whackers more to bellyache about, it would have silenced this weekends contretemps and put some positive spin in the cycle.
Nope, Bivens is as big a loser as everyone thinks Michelle Wie is.
An even bigger loser is the LPGA.

2008-07-30 @ 13:40
Comment from: JR [Visitor] Email
Vale... MW was never "1 win" away from taking over the top spot. The July 31, 2006 rankings had Annika #1 with 17.82 and MW #2 with 14.63. If MW had won the event, she would not have jumped up to #1. When the Aug 7th rankings came out, MW was at #7 with a score of 6.83.
2008-07-30 @ 14:05
Comment from: george [Visitor]
P4P, I'll type slowly so that even you'll have a chance to comprehend.

As I -- and others -- have said before, the skeptics regarding Michelle Wie have no animus towards Wie.

Skeptics such as myself are amused and entertained by the fawning, drooling fanboys such as yourself and Jim C. when it comes to Michelle Wie.

It is the Wie Warriors who are amusing because they will say anything and make all manner of excuses for Michelle's winless ways.

P4P, you and Jim C. and Norman, and others have played the fool for years regarding Michelle Wie. If only Michelle had been as consistent and predictable as you Wie Warriors, we'd be talking about Wie's wins.

As time as passed, the skeptics have been proved right. What's more, even if Michelle wins an LPGA event, it will be just another golfer who won her first tourney. Youngsters Paula and Morgan have the relevant records in hand.

In contrast, the Wie Warriors such as yourself have been proved ... well, even you can probably figure that one out on your own. Maybe.

-George
2008-07-30 @ 15:51
Comment from: george [Visitor]
Jim C., in part...
*****
[Bivens] could...have offerrred to try to make things up to Michelle by giving her the non-exempt LPGA membership for the rest of the year that she might have earned with a win. It stil might have been possible for Wie to play the Evian--the last chance Wie would have to break Creamer's age record, and the next week an exemption to the Ricoh would have been possible--the last chance to break Pressel's record. Nothing Bivens can do now can make up for that lost opportunity.
*****

This is priceless, even for you, Jim Coulthard.

WHEN did Paula set the event record? May 2005. Wie has had more than THREE YEARS to break that record.

Wie has had more than one year to break Pressell's record.

Choices produce consequences. At least one of those records was there for the breaking for more than three years. When you're not serious about something as intense as professional golf, you risk not being successful.

Bottom line: Wie is a golf dilettante.

-George
2008-07-30 @ 16:07
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
> Even with all the history of bad blood between Bivens and Wie, Bivens could have made peace at the time of the last DQ by accepting blame for the incident because she didn't see toit that the scoring tent was staffed by professiobnals. She could then have offerrred to try to make things up to Michelle by giving her the non-exempt LPGA membership for the rest of the year that she might have earned with a win. It stil might have been possible for Wie to play the Evian--the last chance Wie would have to break Creamer's age record, and the next week an exemption to the Ricoh would have been possible--the last chance to break Pressel's record. Nothing Bivens can do now can make up for that lost opportunity.

Why should Bivens 'accept blame'? It wasn't her fault. I agree that the situation was handled badly by the LPGA, but STOP MAKING EXCUSES UP FOR MICHELLE. IT WAS HER OWN FAULT, AND NOBODY ELSE'S, THAT SHE CAN'T SIGN HER OWN BLOODY CARD. And as if you weren't wrong enough, Jim, you then suggest that Michelle should be handed exemptions that she in no way deserves. What the hell is wrong with you? What planet are you living on? Bivens owes Michelle nothing; this is not her fault, it is Michelle's. Then you make a mention of Pressel and Creamer's records (records that Michelle now cannot beat), as if to say that Michelle DESERVES to beat these records, and the fact that she hasn't is an injustice and no fault of her own. I've recently been reading a lot of your posts, and I must say that you talk absolute crap most of the time.

> Jim C, stop making excuses for Michelle Wie. Bivens owes her nothing! Michelle Wie should have joined the LPGA as a full-time member at the start of the season, but she knew that she wouldn't be able to make it through Q School -- and how embarrassing that would be for The Great Michelle Wie. And why should Bivens accept blame for Wie's inability to correctly sign her score card? What you sugget would simply get Michelle Wie used to having people bend the rules for her so that she can skate by without earning anything in life

Exactly, Lepre-Con. I agree with you 100%, see above.

> Creamer and Pressel have those records because they willingly embraced the LPGA, whereas Michelle Wie thumbs her nose at it.

Again, this is dead-on accurate.

> Perhaps Michelle's arrogance and stubbornness stems from the fact that she has $30,000,000 in the bank and really doesn't give a rats ass.

If she didn't give a rat's ass, she wouldn't cry when something bad (and self-inflicted) happens, would she, Joe?

> She will return to classes at Stanford in September and look forward to her six exemptions in 2009. I do not think she has any desire to join the LPGA Tour.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from with this one, Joe. She seemingly doesn't want to join the LPGA Tour, but why? Her future does not lie on the PGA Tour. It's time she stopped arsing around.
2008-07-30 @ 16:41
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
> This is priceless, even for you, Jim Coulthard.

Yeah, priceless. That just about sums it up, George. At first, I honestly thought it was meant as a joke, but then saw who had posted it.
:-)

> When you're not serious about something as intense as professional golf, you risk not being successful.

Bottom line: Wie is a golf dilettante.

I agree with you again, George. She is half-assing her life away. I mean, we all know she isn't doing too well with the golf, and the amount of time she takes off college makes it very hard for me to believe that she is doing well with her studies.
2008-07-30 @ 16:58
Comment from: Oui Oui Oui [Visitor] Email
Wie probably can not save LPGA. But since the current crop of players fail in saving the LPGA. What option does Carolyn Biven has? Have Gulbis issue another calendar?
2008-07-30 @ 17:33
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
Wow, georgie boyo, you certainly get your knickers in a knot.

I see you have found another willing little playmate in your ritualistic Wie bashing.

You should really give davey a formal welcome into the bosom of the fanatical Wie'd Whackers.

Cheech and Chong do live and apparently do a sit down comedy routine on the Worldgolf blogs. You've made a great impression so far boys.
2008-07-30 @ 18:13
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
putt4par
At one time Bivens was voted as the most powerful woman in television. The LPGA have already lost four sponsors for 2009.

Dave
It is just my humble opinion about Michelle. It is more difficult to get information from the Wie Camp than it is to get atomic secrets.

I just read a hole by hole description of the (145 slope) course Michelle is playing...camels can get lost in the bunkers! GOOD LUCK!
2008-07-30 @ 18:53
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
Dave said: If she didn't give a rat's ass, she wouldn't cry when something bad (and self-inflicted) happens, would she, Joe?

"Princess" Wie has become even more spoiled and self-absorbed since sponsors threw $10 million at her, offering her appearance fees as if she was a celebrity in the making.

I wonder how much money Michelle could make by issuing her own cheeky calendar?
2008-07-31 @ 08:27
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
Some interesting reading, Stacy.

http://golf.about.com/b/2008/07/31/clearing-up-wies-womens-british-open-choice.htm

I had read some of this before and forgot about it. Of course there are always going to be those that will put the worst possible spin on her motives but some of the commenting by Sorenstam, Alfredson and Creamer look a out of line.
2008-07-31 @ 14:41
Comment from: VALE [Visitor] Email
Comment from: JR [Visitor]
Vale... MW was never "1 win" away from taking over the top spot. The July 31, 2006 rankings had Annika #1 with 17.82 and MW #2 with 14.63. If MW had won the event, she would not have jumped up to #1. When the Aug 7th rankings came out, MW was at #7 with a score of 6.83.
Permalink 2008-07-30 @ 14

Come on JR, read what I said not what you think I said. Bivens screwed MW's chance of taking over the #1 spot with a win by changing the rules. Since you can't remember what happened, the rules were to divided any players total points by the number of tournaments played in the past 24 months as long as she had at least 15 or more events. Bivens changed that number to an automatic divisor of 35 for anyone with under 35 events. Since MW had only 15 or 16 events, her numbers dropped drastically the following week because her numbers were cut in half by bivens new rules. The funny thing was that even though MW's numbers were cut in half, she was still number 7 in the world. Not bad for a part time player and only 16.
2008-08-01 @ 00:45
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Lepre-Con [Visitor] · http://MichelleWieSucksBigDikk.com
Vale,
How dare you say Michelle Wie is like the Tiger Woods of the LPGA. Tiger Woods has 54 career wins, 14 Major wins, and is a proen talent that has earned all of his endorsements by constantly WINNING. Michelle Wie doesn't compare in the least bit.

what I said was: Like MW or not, she is like a Tiger Woods to the LPGA fans and they follow her on the LPGA or PGA.

That says they "like" her and follow her, I never said she was great like Tiger as a player, but as a fan draw. I have no idea how many fans followed MW Thursday at Reno, but I bet there are even more on Friday since she is only one stroke below the potential cut line. The real question would be if she makes the cut, how many fans would be on the course watching players other than MW. Can you imagine how mortified "all" the PGA players that didn't make the cut would feel. Even if she doesn't make the cut, I sure wouldn't want to end up below her.
2008-08-01 @ 01:40
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
putt4par

Interesting link.

But several points.

1. Even if she had been entered in the qualifier, and had withdrawn to play in Reno--I can see no problem. All Ricoh was going to do was offer her a tryout for a role in their tournament. No one in show business would complain if an actress withdrew from a tryout to take an actual role someone else offerred. Annika, Paula, and Helen had already been ofered roles and accepted them. If Wie had been offerred a role in the main tournament, accepted and then withdrawn, the situation would have been different.

2.But even if MIchelle Wie had withdrawn from the actual tournament, as long as it were within the rules, who could complain? The LPGA never gives MW any break beyond what he rules require. Why should MW be expected to go beyond what the rules require in being nice to the LPGA?

2008-08-01 @ 01:43
Comment from: Pacrim [Visitor] Email
Michelle may not be able to save the LPGA Tour that is sinking like the Titanic, with sponsors bailing out left and right. But she is doing a pretty good job of rescuing the Legends for another season on the PGA Tour.

What is the Ladies event this week?
2008-08-01 @ 03:52
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
Vale, a few remarks.

The reason the ranking system was changed was because there was problems with it. For example, Yuri Fudoh was somewhere in the top six and Michelle was second. Vale, I don't care whether your deluded mind believes this or not, but Michelle is not and has never been the second best female golfer in the world. I very much doubt she's in the top ten in real terms.

> Can you imagine how mortified "all" the PGA players that didn't make the cut would feel. Even if she doesn't make the cut, I sure wouldn't want to end up below her.

Dude, some players have to miss the cut. If through some minor miracle, Michelle actually does make the cut, that means every player who missed the cut had a worse score than her. This goes without saying - it doesn't mean Michelle is a better player than those guys. Again, they have nothing to be 'mortified' about; somebody has to miss the cut! You're making a moot point.

2008-08-01 @ 06:25
Comment from: Alex [Visitor] Email
For some mysterious reason, many of Bubbles' sycophants are revelling in the fact that a minor league tour such as the LPGA is having difficulty acquiring and retaining sponsors.

Also, they seem to find great satisfaction in the low viewership on television and the relatively sparse galleries at the tournaments.

Several have said they would be glad if the LPGA went belly up.

Such a happening would be catastrophic for ALL female golfers, Bubbles included.

Alex USMC 1969-73
2008-08-01 @ 07:36
Comment from: Oneunder [Visitor] Email
A full blown exemption from the LPGA sounds
reasonable. Truth is she can bring in the $$ and if
the other "ladies" on the LPGA ever take an honest
look they will see that.
2008-08-01 @ 09:03
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
A one-over par 73 is a great score for the first round and I understand that Wie held it together quite well.

I hope she makes the cut, although I'm sure a few of the PGA Tour players will want to find other careers if they get thrashed by a woman. ;-)
2008-08-01 @ 09:26
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
As for Oneunder who contends that "a full blown exemption from the LPGA sounds reasonable", the other ladies who had gone through rigorous Q-School might be just a tad upset.
2008-08-01 @ 10:39
Comment from: putt4par [Visitor] Email
"...the other ladies who had gone through rigorous Q-School might be just a tad upset."

And understandably so. I would much rather see Michelle go the Q-School route where hopefully she would come out at the top. But everyone expected Morgan to come out medalist in Q-S but that didn't happen. ( Morgan is being very quiet, no quotes or sound bites at all. ??? )

While MW playing on the PGA is not really a great idea I say "Since you're there, make it count kid. Everyone is waiting to knock you anyway, so beat the odds and make the cut."
2008-08-01 @ 10:57
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Dave [Visitor]
Vale, a few remarks.

The reason the ranking system was changed was because there were problems with it. For example, Yuri Fudoh was somewhere in the top six and Michelle was second. Vale, I don't care whether your deluded mind believes this or not, but Michelle is not and has never been the second best female golfer in the world. I very much doubt she's in the top ten in real terms.

I'm sorry Dave, but you are dead wrong. MW was number 2 in the world for that 24 month period. It's that same old mentality, if you don't win; you’re a loser, well not in golf. They use a points system based on how high you finish and MW's finishes for that period were so consistently higher than everyone else’s that she "earned" the number two ranking. People keep forgetting that you can win one and then turn around and miss the cut at another. Well that missed cut just eats right into all the points you earned with that win. The LPGA is filled with one-time wonders, just like the PGA. You didn't see any of them in the top five. Annika is sinking in the ratings, not because she isn't one of the greatest golfers of all times, but because she isn't consistently finishing in the top as in the past. If your still having a problem understanding how this point system works, I'll give you an example with simple numbers just for reference purposes only. You win and get 15 points, maybe 10 for second place and 9 for third, 8.5 for forth and so on. If you miss the cut, you get zip. Now they simply add up all of your points for the last 24-month and divide that number by the number of events you have played in. It's just that simple, the more points you average over the last 24 months, the higher your ranking. MW "was" number 2 in the world going into the British Open and could have taken over the top spot with her first victory. I didn't make up this system, the LPGA did and when MW was knocking on the doorstep to unseat Annika, Bivens changed the rules. Everyone clamored, how can a none winner be number two, she just played better all around golf than everyone else. She simply didn't miss any cuts and had an unbelievable run of high finishes in that period of time. The rating system is not based on wins, but on you’re over all performance. If we used the simple logic of wins are everything, Annika would still be number one and she could set on the sidelines for several if not dozens of years and still be number one. MW is rated at 200 something now and everyone says it’s because of her poor play and bad judgment for playing last year when she was injured. I’m not defending rather MW or her management team did the right thing or not. If she had sat out most of last year or even the entire season, she would probably still be in the dumps ratings wise. It really didn’t make a difference if she played and missed the cut or just sat on the sidelines healing, she would continue to fall in the ratings just the same. Not playing and missing the cut both add up to zero points when you divide all your points by a factor of 35 and you only have 15 or 16 tournaments to begin with. If she hadn’t played last year, all of the points she earned would have disappeared just as if she played and missed the cut all year long. It’s a constant rolling most 24-month period. So will all of you thickheaded people that think wins are the only things that matters in golf, please get a better understanding on how the ratings system really works. Remember, it is “not” based on wins, but your overall performance “and” the Bivens changed fact that you have to play in at least 35 events in a 24 month period to avoid being penalized for playing fewer events. You are right in the fact that if Michelle Wie had beat Annika and taken over the number one spot, she would not have been the best golfer in the world, but she would have been the number one rated golfer for that 24 month period of time That’s what the rating system is for, plain and simple.
2008-08-01 @ 16:45
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
Vale, just admit that what I said is precisely correct. The system was changed because the rankings, even after a long time period, still did not reflect reality.

Oh, and whoever said that Michelle should be given a full exemption for last year is an idiot.

Congratulations to Michelle for making the cut this week. I'm so glad that she's "back."

Oh, wait..
2008-08-01 @ 17:24
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Dave [Visitor]
Vale, just admit that what I said is precisely correct. The system was changed because the rankings, even after a long time period, still did not reflect reality

So what was this big change Bivens made to the ranking system that made it, fairer to reflect reality? I know for sure that she changed the system to no longer allow anyone with less than 35 events in the past 24 months to accurately reflect their true ratings.
Other than that huge screwing for everyone with less than 35 events, which would basically say we won't allow non-LPGA members to obtain a top rating before it is an even greater embarrassment, exactly what other changes did she make?

Maybe the LPGA folding would not be the worst thing in the world to happen for female golf. It would be hell at first, but I'm sure another organization or organizations would step in and you would see numerous events the first year. The LPGA is not the only organization out there running things, they just happen to be the most powerful and Bivens has made a mess of things. This crap of not allowing non-LPGA members to play in more than 6 events a year is simply to force everyone to join their "union". The tournament directors would love to be able to extend invitations to anyone they want and they all know what it is costing them in lost gate receipts for not having the chance to have MW in their tournament. Gate receipts and TV ratings are everything to each and every one of the events. This is not the Olympics this is a business. If the money isn't there, it will fail, plain and simple. Bivens has pissed off the press and the tournament directors and costs everyone a ton of money. MW has brought people out of the woodwork to watch her play. Not just at the course, but on TV as well. Yes I am one of those guilty people as well. I followed the PGA, but only if Tiger was playing. When I heard about MW, it got my interest and I watched an LPGA event for the first time and I have followed her ups and downs like millions of others. I for one am tired of watching two hour recaps on USA network and I don’t watch any of them when MW isn’t playing and yes I do watch the PGA when Tiger is not playing, when MW is. No MW should not get a free pass into the LPGA, but wake up Bivens and change those LPGA killing rules only allowing her to play in six events. Everyone is losing out except MW herself. I don't think there is a CEO that wouldn't fart a lightning bolt to save his failing company. So why can't that hard head Bivens change the rules to help save the LPGA? I don’t see MW going to Q school, so what is the answer until she earns her way in through earnings. Another year of less revenue and maybe even more lost tournaments. Think about it, what difference would it make if you completely eliminated the number of events a non-member could enter. The tournament director can only extend a couple invitations to non-members. So how many do you think will not stand in line to extend that invitation to MW. If she doesn’t get her act together, they will eventually stop asking her to play, but in the mean time, think of all the revenue gained and people watching more LPGA events again. Good or bad, she is what the public wants and the LPGA needs. Even if I didn’t like MW and was a tournament director, I wouldn’t have the balls not to extend her an invitation. Who would want to piss her off and maybe have her always bypass your tournament because you didn’t when you had the chance and she just happened to turn into the super star so many expect?
Love her or hate her, Michelle Wie is big money for the LPGA!
2008-08-01 @ 23:59
Comment from: Ray [Visitor] Email
Vale quit drinking the Kool Aid. You guys that think the LPGA needs Michelle Wie and she is some kind of savior are bonkers. Go to a LPGA event nowadays with Lorena, Annika, Paula and Wie in the field and tell me what you see? You will see Miss Wie with the fourth largest gallery. People just seem to want to overrate Wie in every way possible from game to draw. It has been proven out that she is not that dominating golfer people thought she would be so her galleries are starting to diminish. Even if you take this charade like the one at the Reno, if you had of put Lorena in there it probably would of been twice as big of news and galleries. As for giving her more exemptions without qualifying on the LPGA? Forget it! Who the hell is she that she gets special treatment? Go to Q school like ever other LPGA player who is better than her and get your card! If she doesn't manage to get her azz to LPGA Q-School this year they should probably lower the exemption number and not raise it.
2008-08-02 @ 12:17
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Ray "As for giving her more exemptions without qualifying on the LPGA? Forget it! Who the hell is she that she gets special treatment? Go to Q school like ever other LPGA player who is better than her and get your card! If she doesn't manage to get her azz to LPGA Q-School this year they should probably lower the exemption number and not raise it."

I didn't say they should give MW special treatment, I said they should do away with the 6 exemption limit for non-LPGA members, which is the LPGA forcing members to join. It's nothing more than the LPGA exerting it's control over the tournament directors and sponsors, dictating what they can and cannot do. These are the people that have the power to destroy the LPGA and start their own version of the LPGA and they could do it in a heartbeat. The LPGA members are not going to set on the sidelines and refuse to play. You might get a few hold outs for a few weeks, but it's a living they are all after and you can't make it by not playing. I don't think MW had the fourth largest gallery following here at the last LPGA event she played in when she was finally doing well and did you happen to read about the crowd following her this week. Like it or not, she is big business for golf and that includes the PGA’s smaller events. This isn't about Kool Aid drinking, it's about business and them trying to make a profit or at least minimize their losses. The LPGA isn't losing sponsors just because MW isn't playing; it's the economy and a lack of interest on the public’s part, which is causing the networks to stop covering their events. No TV and you lose your sponsors. It's a business and you have to do whatever it takes to keep it alive. If it takes allowing MW to play in 20 events a year or inviting Rosanne Barr to play in events to keep things going, then that is what they need to do.
MW's game is coming back around and she could possibly make enough money in Canada to earn her exemption for next year, but if she doesn't, how much more revenue will the sponsors lose again next year and how many more tournaments might they lose in the mean time. If she hadn't had her head up her rear end a couple of weeks ago, she would probably already have qualified or be very near the dollar numbers. Mean while, we can look forward to two hour USA network recaps of the latest LPGA event again next year, assuming they will continue to cover the events. I’m even starting to lose interest in LPGA events that MW plays in, not because I don’t want to watch them, it’s because they are not covering them. I suppose you will be just fine if the LPGA folds as long as they manage to keep MW out of the field. If you don’t have a short memory, you might recall just how much TV time the LPGA got and the huge galleries following MW in 2006. The LPGA just has to hope MW’s wrists keep healing and not turn into another career ending injury like David Duval’s.

Just one more time, I’m “not” in favor of changing the rules for MW, I’m in favor of changing the rules for everyone that are non-LPGA member.

Do all of you MW haters forget about the millions of disinterested people who started watching golf for the first time, just to watch MW play after all they heard about her. Well many of them are still out here waiting for the chance to see her again and if and when she ever starts consistently ending up in that top 5 again, most will probably start coming back to see if she can really accomplish what she has been hyped up to do.
Lorena can win 10 times this year and she will not create anywhere near the interest that MW will with just “one” win. Even with all of MW’s troubles in the last two years, the Internet is dominated with stories about MW whenever she is playing and that is even when she is playing in Germany. The PGA is all about Tiger Woods and for the last few years it’s all been about Michelle Wie. I know it’s all based on hype, but it’s what has drawn millions into this hype. Once she starts winning, the masses will return in a hurry. If she can ever dominate like the hype promises, the LPGA will be on the map big time.
The greater the interest in the LPGA, the greater the prize money for everyone. So everyone wins with MW’s success and just the opposite with her lack there of.

Lorena can win a ton of events, but for whatever reason, she is like Larry Homes was to boxing. Win, Win, Win, but nobody cared. If Michelle Wie wins seven events in one year it will be like a Cinderella story. Watch and see, she would make sports hero of the year and the coverage would be non-stop. Like it or not, that’s just the way things work! Blame her parents for all the wrong moves, but I think they were brilliant. Things may never materialize like they hoped for, but if they do; it’s all because of there marketing skills.
2008-08-02 @ 18:02
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Dave [Visitor]
Vale, a few remarks.

The reason the ranking system was changed was because there was problems with it. For example, Yuri Fudoh was somewhere in the top six and Michelle was second.

I never heard of Yuri Fudoh until you made the above claim. When I saw she was on top of the leaderboard today, I looked up her past record to see how she would had been justified being in the top ten, rating wise. Yuri could not have been in the top ten or in any position for that matter as she only had a total of 9 events in the previous 24 months and you had to have a minimum of 15 events to be included. She also only had one top ten, so you must be confusing her with someone else. Yuri does appear to be another possible one hit wonder, as she has done nothing in the past.
2008-08-03 @ 07:35
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Oh dear, Vale - "possible one hit wonder"?
Before Dave goes for your jugular, suggest you Wikipedia Yuri Fudoh.
2008-08-03 @ 10:49
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
I remember Yuri Fudoh. She was ranked high in the original rankings. I checked--She was number 4 after Annika, Paula, and MIchelle in the first rankings. She had won a bunch of times over in Japan--but did very little in LPGA events. Yuri Fudoh's high ranking was actually considered to be a flaw in the original rankings since she did basically nothing in her play outside of the weak Japanese league. The original ranings overvalued Japanese wins, and undervalued Korean ones.

Ai Mayazato is near the top at Ricoh. She won a lot in Japan before coming the the LPGA and doing little until now. This course seems to set up well for the Japanese. The Koreans are also doing well--but they do that most of the time, although not as well as this week.
2008-08-03 @ 11:02
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
> The original rankings overvalued Japanese wins, and undervalued Korean ones.

Exactly. The original system didn't reflect reality, which is why the system was changed.

> Oh dear, Vale - "possible one hit wonder"?
Before Dave goes for your jugular, suggest you Wikipedia Yuri Fudoh.

Hehee. You're right, Wendy, Yuri is no 'one-hit wonder'; in fact, she seems to be quite an accomplished player in Japan. I have no doubt that she could do very well on the LPGA. Also, she put in a very good performance at the British this week. Still, her original ranking of 4th in the world, was quite questionable.

Vale, do you actually like, care about, or know anything about golf at all? By some of your past posts, you seem to want the LPGA to sacrifice whatever integrity it has left in the interests of simply making as much money as possible. This includes giving Michelle privileges that she simply doesn't deserve. Thing is, despite the title of this blog post, the LPGA doesn't actually need 'saving.' Anybody who thinks it does, or believes some of the rubbish going around that the LPGA is in a bad place right now, clearly doesn't know the history of the LPGA at all. The LPGA was founded in 1950 as a non-profit organisation by 13 women, and survived against all odds. Today, it is one of the wealthiest women's sports organisations in the world. The LPGA may not handle everything with the level of professionalism one might expect, and some of the corporate and financial decisions within the organisation may be substandard, but still, the LPGA is in no danger of 'going under' or falling apart. In fact, it is very secure financially, and becoming more popular year after year, with all these young Asians, Lorena, Paula, etc.

2008-08-03 @ 16:12
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
The overvaluing and undervaluing of the JLPA and KLPA was corrected automatically by the ranking system as players from different tours performed poorly or well in other competition. This had nothing to do with the change to a minimum divisor of 35 even if a player played only 15 or 16 events.
2008-08-03 @ 17:33
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
Integrity and the LPGA.

In 2004 the USGA gave MW a special exemption to the Womens Open because she did so well in just a couple of early LPGA events that she would have qualified had she been an LPGA member. There were howls of protests from LPGA members. Complaining about about a USGA decision in this fashion shows a lack of integrity.

In 2006, the USGA could have decided to givbe MW an exemption based on a performance that would have earned her an exemption from her 2005 LPGA events had she been a member of the LPGA--and remember she was too young to be a member. Instead they let themselves be influenced by the complaints over the previous exemption, and only gave MW an exemption when she also performed well enough in a couple of early LPGA events to have qualified had she been an LPGA member.

I do not believe the USGA should ever use money earned as a basis for any USGA qualifying. I don't believe that LPGA members should be allowed to qualify for the Womens Open through any routs not open to everyone.

Now just this past week, LPGA members were critising MW for playing in a PGA event instead of trying to qualify for an LPGA Major. That shows a lack of integrity. If MW is not a member of the LPGA, then LPGA members should not act like she is a member when they criticize for participating in an non-LPGA event.

2008-08-03 @ 17:57
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
From DAVE:
"Hehee. You're right, Wendy, Yuri is no 'one-hit wonder'; in fact, she seems to be quite an accomplished player in Japan. I have no doubt that she could do very well on the LPGA. Also, she put in a very good performance at the British this week. Still, her original ranking of 4th in the world, was quite questionable."


My fault, I didn't realize they used stats from the Korea and Japan versions of the LPGA in their ratings system. The site I look at only shows stats for Europe and the US. Until today, Yuri has a record over the past four years that looks more like MW's for the past two in LPGA events. She may have a great record in Asia, but in LPGA events it has not been that great. She entered 4 events in 2005 and average 32nd place, in 2006 she was in 7 events and averaged 40th place. Now in 2007, she started to improve and averaged 19th place in only 3 events. This year she has only been in the British open where she finished 3rd, but it is only one event. But like I said before, her LPGA record prior to this years British Open was not all that great, with an average of 33rd place in 14 events, over three years.

As why MW was number two in the world rankings going into the British Open in 2006,
It wasn’t a flaw in their system; it was great golfing on her part. Keep in mind the most current 12 months counted at a higher level than the previous 12-month period. She ended up with 2nd, 3rd, DQ, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 5th, 2nd. Nothing lower than a 5th place finish from Evian Masters to Evian Masters except for the DQ and I’m not sure but I think she finished in fourth in that event before the DQ. However that didn’t matter to any of the MW bashers, she didn’t win a damn thing, how could she be number 2? At the same time everyone ignores the fact she did this amazing feat at 15 and 16 years of age. Not to mention the fact that she was in the top five in all four majors during that stretch, which counted for many extra points, as I’m sure the Evian Masters also counted for extra points as well. Then she broke a wrist and injured the other one and tried to play with horrible results, which only confirmed to the Wie bashers that she really can’t play at all. I also don’t know if I really like MW as a person or not and I don’t find her all that beautiful as so many others do, but I really find it interesting to follow her career and I can’t wait for her to get back on track to see if see can live up to the hype and turn those top five place finishes into wins.

As far as the LPGA being in great shape, I'm not so sure about that. While the number of events has increased from 33 in 2004 to 36 in 2008, the number of events held in the US has decreased from 28 to 25. So the LPGA looks as though they have joined forces with events in other countries to keep going. That's not a bad strategy to keep alive, but ladies professional golf in the US is declining and they are talking about possibly losing several more tournaments next year. I don't know if they are in the US or not, but it will still be a decline in the number of events. So everything is "not" all peaches and cream in the LPGA, as you may believe. And yes I really don't give a rat’s ass about the LPGA; it is nothing more than a "union" called the LPGA.
I'm in favor of unions, but when they get too powerful, they sometimes are taken over by power nuts like Bivens. If you want to be in absolute control of something, run a business. Using that power as the head of a union can be very destructive. Bivens has shown her desire to exercise her power over everything and it backfired. Look how she tried to control the media. You can bet your life that if she could get away with it, no one other than LPGA members would ever be allowed to play in any events. Professional sports have always been failing and or merging to stay alive. If the LPGA failed, so what. It could be the end of ladies golf in the US as we know it for a short while, but some other organization or organizations would be right behind them picking up the pieces as they fell. However that is not likely to ever happen. The LPGA may disappear, but it is more likely to happen as the result of a competing organization splitting tournaments. Then again the tournament directors could ban together and shut them out all together, assuming there is no legal contract standing in their way.

I love golf, as a sport I play myself, but professional golf is a business and not for fun. They either make money or they go out of business. All professional sports teams and unions meet each year and try to figure out how they can change the game to better please the crowds and increase their revenue. How many rules changes have you heard of in golf? I just think golf would be so much better if they would change or eliminate a good portion of their rules and give the tournament directors more flexibility as to how they run their events.
2008-08-03 @ 22:41
Comment from: Wendy (UK) [Visitor] Email
Jim C - Ai Miyazato happens to be a favourite of mine,(Stacy's too, I believe?). I had high hopes for her after Q-school, but happy with her 5th at Ricoh this w/e. She's nowhere near her claimed 5'2" either - would be fun to see her and MW teeing up together!

I agree that the rankings were questionable in 2006 - not that they're perfect now, of course.
2008-08-04 @ 11:42
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
I do like Ai Miyazato. I think she plays solid golf and has a great swing to boot. There are many Tour players who I watch regularly including Paula Creamer, Lorena Ochoa. I even follow lesser-known players like Tracy Hansen and Meghan Francella.

What do you expect? I have a passion for the sport!

If Ai Miyazato played a friendly game of golf with Michelle Wie, I believe that either would have the ability, on any given day, to win.

Wie has a better chance without tournament pressure.
2008-08-04 @ 11:53
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
Ai Mayazato was in 2nd place after 71 holes, and fell to 5th with a double bogey on the final hole. She was passed by two players shooting birdies, and one shooting par.

Ai Mayazato is probably telling herself the same thing Michelle Wie is telling herself. "Overall I did well, and it is something to build upon. I must not let a bad ending take that away."

What Michelle Wie fans are doing is very similar to what Wendy is doing as an Ai Mayazato fan. Looking on the bright side.
2008-08-04 @ 16:01
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
My motto is to always look on the bright side of life. There's a song to that effect so others might be doing the same as Wendy and me!

As for Ai Miyazato, it sounds like you're describing Phil Mickelson's game at the Bridgestone!

At least Ai has won in the past. She actually won a professional event as an amateur on the Japan LPGA Tour and set a record at Q-School for the largest margin of victory in 2005.
2008-08-04 @ 18:16
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor] Email
The two hours the networks give the LPGA each day for their tournaments, include 70 minutes of commercials. Usually you see some highlights of the first 12 holes then a few golfers that are in contention. Three to four shots and then 7 to 8 commercials. Thank goodness for DVR.

The LPGA are loosing four sponsors for 2009 and Ms. Bivens has been very quiet. After the Annika tournament last year, I don't think Bivens has any desire to speak with Michelle.

There are 45 Koreans playing on the LPGA. What has happened to all of the women college players? Before you know it there will be 100 Koreans on the LPGA and 10 Americans.
2008-08-04 @ 22:14
Comment from: Vale [Visitor] Email
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor]
The LPGA are loosing four sponsors for 2009 and Ms. Bivens has been very quiet. After the Annika tournament last year, I don't think Bivens has any desire to speak with Michelle.

Isn't that strange, since I believe it was ans LPGA official who warned team Wie about the 88 stroke limit and a ban for one year, when she was approaching it. For whatever reason she was playing with her injuries, I don't blame her for dropping out before being banned for a year. It's not as if she was just having a bad day and decided to quit before reaching 88. She shouldn't have been out there to begin with, but taking a one year ban for trying to play injured is another thing. She did have an 85 as her only score in the 80's as a 13 year old and not another one until her injuries last year and had five in the 80's and only one this year at he US open. I didn't count a couple of 80's she had playing against men. Then two tournaments later she had the best tournament of her career going until the score card fiasco.
I guess that kind of evens the score, she walked away from her worst tournament and was thrown out of her best.
2008-08-05 @ 16:21
Comment from: JIm C [Visitor] Email
The 88 Rule.

What does golf etiquette say if you are playing very badly?

1) Finish the round.

2) Withdraw and stop clogging up the course for everyone else.

Stars are usually expected to follow the first rule, and regular players the second.

The Rule of 88 is designed to pressure regular players to follow the second rule--while the stars who are members of the LPGA Tour are not subject to the rule, since they are expected to finish their rounds and post a score even if they would rather withdraw.

Basically what happened is this. Michelle Wie was following the first rule(the star rule) when the LPGA told her she was not an LPGA member, would not be treated like an LPGA member, that she was expected to withdraw to stop cluttering up he golf course, and she quite likely would be banned for a year if she did not. At that point she withdrew following the rule of etiquette for regular players.


2008-08-06 @ 17:28
Comment from: Dave [Visitor] Email
Jim C, it is not clear what your stance is on this. Are you supporting Michelle in this matter or not?

Also, 'regular players' are not encouraged to get the hell off the course if they are playing badly. Not at my club, anyway. All that is required is that the pace of play is kept brisk; I have known very good players that play very slowly, and very poor players that play very quickly.

I wish you wouldn't use the term 'etiquette rule.' Etiquette is different to rules, although the committee of the competition can under the Rules of Golf disqualify a player for a serious breach of etiquette.

My view of this situation was and still is:

1) Michelle should not have been playing that week, as she was injured (so we're told, anyway).

2) She shouldn't have withdrawn.

Jim C, you seem to try to cast Michelle in a good light by implying that she withdrew to keep up the pace of play. We all know, however, that this is not the reason: she did it because she feared being banned from further play on the LPGA Tour for a year.
2008-08-06 @ 17:59
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor] Email
The Rule of 88 was made because of a pair of slow and bad playing sponsors exemptions on the LPGA. I think it was back in the 80s. One shot over 100. Imagine a pro being stuck in a group with such a player for two days. One pro asked one of these players to withdraw, and when she refused, the pro finally withdrew in frustration.

The Rule does 3 things. If a regular player(non-LPGA pro) shoots 88 or more in the first round, the player is automatically withdrawn, sparing her LPGA pro playing partners another day of frustration.

The ban gives regular players an incentive to withdraw during a round, sparing her playing partners the continud problem if things are going very badly. Notified by the LPGA that they are approaching that much over par, a player id expected to withdraw which Michelle Wie did.

Players who do not withdraw get a largely symbolic one year ban. I say largely symbolic because most such players will never get another invite in any case.

Here is an idea. Non-LPGA players can play in up to 6 sponsors exemptions per year. To make everything fair, what about banning an LPGA player from the next 6 events for which she would otherwise be eligible if she runs afoul the Rule of 88. The problem for other players is the same whether it is a sponsor's exemption or an LPGA player who is the source of the problem. Why not penalize both.
2008-08-07 @ 01:17
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor] Email
The pro that withdrew in frustration only hurt herself. Was she the one who shot over 100?

By the time you get to that higher level of play, things like others' slow play shouldn't affect you to the point where you withdraw and lose an opportunity to win.
2008-08-08 @ 09:43
Comment from: Florida Mike [Visitor] Email
Bottom line is that more people would watch lpga if Michelle were playing. I would! All the fighting over this point or that is bs. The lpga needs a boost and Ms Wie would provide it.
2008-08-08 @ 16:34

Comments are closed for this post.