« Tiger Woods clinches PGA Player of the Year; Appleby to play for Australian PGA Championship; Michelle Wie against men in LPGA eventsUnico wins North Korean golf course contract; Swing for Life tourney targets charity; Palm Springs golf industry benefits from tourism boom »

Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
lets try for the solheim cup first michelle. is she joking: "Hopefully, I will be able to play the Ryder Cup one day, that would be awesome and I think it is totally possible," oh the utter insanity. i can't stand it anymore.
09/05/06 @ 23:36
Comment from: kevin [Visitor]
Sounds like Wie is campaigning for that captain's pick extremely early in her career, since she can't even make a cut in a PGA event much less consistently place high in multiple tournaments to qualify on points . Honestly, the golf world can't be surprised by her immature statements. She's so used to relying on sponsor exemptions and not actually performing to earn her spot, that she thinks as long as she asks for it, she gets it. I've started calling her Veruka Salt after hearing about this...... Zero respect for the institution of the game. That sucks on any level, male or female. I just hope the girls that pick up a set of sticks and get excited to play because of Wie actually LEARN the game from a player like Annika.
09/06/06 @ 00:11
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Bubbles should have her best chance to date to make a cut in what has previously been a quality men's event. I would discount the Casio as being substandard at best as far as the field goes. The field at the Omega is what I would describe as "thin." There are several top-notch Europeans in the field, but there are at least twenty of the very best Euros who will not tee it up this week in Switzerland. The only other American in the field is unknown Nathan Fritz, who also got there by a sponsor's exemption. A few unrecognizable Aussies are in the field, but none in the top 50 of rankings. The course is relatively short, 6857 yards. According to reports, she has played good practice rounds, she has had adequate time to get accustomed to the time difference, and she has a new, sparkly wristwatch which should lift her spirits. One word of warning: the weather forecast predicts temperatures in the mid-80"sF with 50% humidity. If Bubbles is over par after the first round, they better have the ambulance ready
09/06/06 @ 08:45
Comment from: Joe Cool [Visitor]
Good Grief!!! If I hear her say "awesome" and "going to have fun" And "I am going to try my hardest" one more time, I will puke!!! Physically she is 22 years old and mentally she is 10 years old. However, she really is the "typical teenager, it is all about me...me...me.
09/06/06 @ 09:57
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
correction: Not the Casio but the SK Telecom.
09/06/06 @ 11:19
Comment from: Dino [Visitor]
Word of advice to Michelle - Let your golf scores/wins? do the talking. I don't want to hear what you hopefully want for Christmas.
09/06/06 @ 11:48
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Guys, to this point we all seem to be in agreement that Bubbles is jumping the gun with her desire and predictions that she and maybe other skirts will be on the Ryder Cup team someday. None of the Wie Warriors have found their way to this blog as yet. When they do, as they surely will, their replies and rants should be good for a lot of entertainment. Also, if Bubbles misses the cut at the Omega Masters, their excuses and rationalizations will supply some hearty laughs.
09/06/06 @ 13:08
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Just to set the record straight, here is the question and answer from the interview on the Ryder Cup:

You are part of a new breed of young women who are becoming increasingly competitive in golf - do you think there could ever be a time when women could qualify for the Ryder Cup?

Hopefully I will be able to do it one day, that would be awesome. I think it is totally possible. Anything is possible in the future. I think players, both women and men, are getting better and we are starting to get stronger and work out more and are mentally tough and we can do it.

It's not like she came out and made a press announcement that she was going to play the Ryder Cup someday, she was just answering a question. In fact she started the answer with "hopefully", hardly a strong statement. Of course, to most of the posters here, the fact that she might even consider such a long term goal is a major scandal.

Incidently Alex, the field is hardly weak at the Omega. As Sergio said, it will be a challenge for Wie to make the cut because of the tight greens. Don't let the length fool you, it is a very challenging course. I think she has a better chance at the 84 lumber despite the length.
09/06/06 @ 18:24
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Paul W, Please re-read my post. I never said the field at the Omega was weak. I specifically said it was "thin" and explained that although the field had several top Europeans in it, a greater number of the elite Euros were not in the field. And that the field included only one additional American, a really unknown sponsor's exemption named Nathan Fritz. And NO Aussies in their top fifty. Bubbles is only 16, but her remark that she thought a girl making the Ryder Cuopteam was "totally possible" was a masterpiece of valley girl redundancy. Is it possible for something to be "partially possible?" As for "anything being possible in the future", I'm afraid not. I can think of a few hundred things off hand that will never be possible.
09/06/06 @ 18:52
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Guys, Paul w is the first of the Wie Warriors to discover this blog, and you can see where he's coming from. Watch out for the invasion of the Wie-wee's. This should be fun.
09/06/06 @ 18:56
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Alex, you've graduated from correcting my spelling to correcting valley speak grammer. Congratulations. You must be desparate for something to do.

I'm outta here. See if you can bait someone else in to responding.
09/06/06 @ 19:14
Comment from: kevin [Visitor]
Well Paul, you do make an excellent point that she was just answering a question and not making a declaration, but maybe Wie needs to rethink her media strategy then if she's so misunderstood. To me, and a great deal of golf fans: -She sounds and acts VERY immature (having an assistant for your agent fire your caddy at the airport? I played well today except for those 4 bogeys???). -Doesn't take the necessary time to fully understand the rules of the game (I think we all know about her struggles there). -Places the cart WAY to far in front of the horse with her goals (Ryder Cup??? You haven't even made a Solheim Cup squad yet.). Playing in men's events when she has yet to win on the LPGA tour seems to me like disrespecting Annika, Paula, Karri, and the rest of the lady pros. Put in some mad work, beat them head to head when you face them, prove yourself as a champion, then move up when the challenge is lacking. Nothing wrong with that, male or female. And I don't wanna hear that she's only 16. She brought all of this on herself when she signed those megamillion deals with Nike, Sony, and now Omega. If she's a pro, it's time to act like one. She is clearly a ridiculous talent who could do things the world has never seen. I in fact would LOVE to see her get it together and win on golf's highest levels. Or any woman for that matter. This great game of golf is the ultimate equalizer. It just makes my blood boil to hear about her conduct and career choices being so oversaturated by the media because in the end I feel she is showing the young kids who are being drawn to the game that it's OK to skip steps without finishing what you start. And that my friends, is not what golf is all about.
09/06/06 @ 19:37
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Wow kevin, I hope you feel better after that rant. It would take me an hour to respond to all that so I won't try.

Sticking to the subject of the Ryder Cup comment, I'm not sure how you think she should have responded to the question? All she said was it would be great if she could make the Ryder Cup team some day. She didn't say she expected to play in it, or she should get some kind of exemption to play it, she just said she would like to be good enough. Would it bother you if a 16 year old boy said the same thing?
09/06/06 @ 21:26
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
kevin, those are almost exactly my sentiments. But those will get you nothing but scorn from the Wie Warriors. If you don't buy into the fallacy that she is the GREATEST, then you are lower than a snake's belly. At least one crackpot on these blogs accuses Wie skeptics of being child abusers. You have made yourself flame bait for telling the truth.
09/06/06 @ 21:29
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
did the media ask ted fujikawa (kid from hawaii who made open) if he looked forward to playing in the ryder cup one day? i doubt it. I may predict here that we may never hear of that kid again, and he actually qualified for the open. does anybody remember ty tryon? oh yeah he was great at 16 until he woke up and figured out just what it was he was doing. these 15 and 16 year olds are too young and stupid to realize what it is they are doing. i use to play golf in high school and college and the best damn golfer on the both teams was the freaking dumbest guy in the world. all world talent, shoot at any pin, great short game but no mental makeup to make it on the big tours. i would say michelle wie would never be heard from again after she turned 18 if all she was trying to do was compete on the men's tour but luckily for her she can fall back to the ladies circuit and save her face and career. by the way does anyone in the world really think tiger wood's ego could handle michelle in the same field event as him. that would tarnish just about every record he has and will ever set. think about it a woman who can really compete at tigers level. what soes that really say about golf as a sport. remeber joe ogilvie thinks she is better now than him at their respective ages. what a bitch slap that was. i wonder if tiger even acknowledges that guy in the locker room anymore after that comment. joe better hope he doesn't play with tiger anytime soon. that will just motivate him to put a real tiger ass whooping on him and put him back in his place. michelle better than tiger. what a freaking joke. you may say that sounds bigoted toward woman but its the freaking truth that everyone on the pga tour wants to say but won't.
09/06/06 @ 22:51
Comment from: kevin [Visitor]
Thanks for the props Alex. I certainly would hope nobody on the other side of the fence would construe my thoughts as being one with child molestation.......

To answer your question Paul, yes, I would be just as upset if a 16 year old boy said the same thing and was a perfect mirror of how Wie is conducting herself. It isn't the individual (or their sex, race, citizenship or religion), it's the situation that disgusts me. The issue here is the immature lack of respect for the institution of the game that Wie is displaying live to millions across the globe in 1080i resolution.

I have alot to say on the matter, it's true. But I say it because I feel strongly about it, and I don't like the message it's sending to the new generations entering the world's greatest game.

All that I "ranted" on are crucial components of the overall negative position I have on Wie Paul. I have nothing against her personally, nor will I ever barring some totally insane act on her part, but I simply don't respect her because she seems to not respect anyone or anything else.

I certainly would be the first to wish her the best and salute her if she grounds herself and moves her game in a positive direction that we all know she is capable of doing, instead of being some circus sideshow which seems to get worse as time goes on.

When she shows me that, and shows kids a dedicated path toward success, then I'll feel better.
09/07/06 @ 01:20
Comment from: kevin [Visitor]
Sorry Paul, I was ranting more and didn't tell you what I think would have been a proper response from Michelle:

-Do you think there could ever be a time when women could qualify for the Ryder Cup?

-Sure. Anything is possible. And it would be a tremendous honor for me to be a part of that some day. But I have a long way to go before I'd ever be in that position.

See? Shows self-confidence in her game and gender, but also shows respect. Simple answer, smile and wave, then get back on the range to work on the fade.....I would totally dig that.

Tiger wins his 5th start in a row, and spends half the press conference talking about how he needs to get better. Even corrects the reporters when they laugh at his humbleness about his game when he's stomping the life out of everyone he faces.
09/07/06 @ 01:37
Comment from: Kimo [Visitor]
Interesting. Comments made by posters such as Alex reveal so much about themselves and shed extremely little light on the issue of Michelle Wie competing in a PGA event. His relentless reliance on name calling and other forms of argumentum ad hominem says a lot about his views of the rest of us in this discussion. Not very flattering, I'm afraid. Alex, and others who may be inspired by his argumentative style, how about sticking to the issues and refraining from personal attacks or keeping them to a bare minimum. I think it must be obvious to most that Michelle is much more than a golfer. She captures the imagination of people -- young and old, male and female -- around the world, and her appeal goes far beyond the game of golf. What is this appeal? Even her most severe critics have to agree that it's positive in nature -- whatever "it" is. Michelle may not only be good for golf, but she may be good for life.
09/07/06 @ 02:06
Comment from: Alanm [Visitor]
Tommy
Were you that "best damn golfer on the both teams" that was the freaking dumbest.
Freaking hell, what a freaking moron.

Alax
Still at it, trying to stir people. Still no substance to any of your drivel.

Go Michelle, future Ryder Cup candidate. Why not.

I have realised that the only reason people like Tommy and Alex rant on about Wie is because she makes them feel inadequate.
Go Michelle, you little beauty
Alanm
09/07/06 @ 04:14
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
kevin, So there you have just a hint of what's to come. In order to be a true Wie believer, one must devour the entire menu of Wie delicacies. And one must do it from the very beginning; there will be no converts in this Wie crusade. Be forewarned that alan m is crackpot numero uno as far as the Wie Warriors are concerned. These deluded folks are masters of the non sequitur and the trite expression. They do not believe that there is any innate hereditary difference in the strength and hand-eye coordination between males and females. And they firmly believe that of all the females who have ever lived on Planet Earth, Bubbles is the ONLY one capable of competing with men and winning on the PGA tour. They are singularly unimpressed with the fact that she has never shown the ability to accomplish the miracles that they have assigned to her. At times to these dreamers, Bubbles is an inspiration to everyone on earth, but especiallly to the hordes of little Asian girls who can't wait to put on their dangling earrings. But when she cries, pouts , and makes inane remarks, she is just a 16 year old girl, and don't you dare pick on her, you dirty child abusers!
09/07/06 @ 07:54
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
kevin, we just have to disagree here. I just don't see any hubris in Wie's response. You can always find a better way to word things in retrospect, but her response seems fine to me.
09/07/06 @ 10:53
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
kevin, I also disagree with you on Wie showing respect for other players and the game. She consistantly complements the players she is paired with or she is competing with. For example in the same interview she talked about how good Sergio was and how much she learned from him. Everytime she loses she complements whoever beats her, for example after the HSBC she talked about how fantastic Brittany played. These comments don't tend to get in the news reports so maybe you don't see them. To me, she appears to be a very sweet girl. I've never seen her say anything negative about another player. She seems like a great role model to me.
09/07/06 @ 11:11
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
alann

she's 6 over thru 13 today at omega. she put the group on the shot clock again. it's time for this charade (def. a blatant pretense or deception, esp. something so full of pretense as to be a travesty) to stop.

its also funny how you don't want to challange anything in my post except to point a passage and call me names.
09/07/06 @ 11:19
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Previously, I said that the field at the Omega wasn't weak, just that it was, in my opinion, "thin." After some additional research, I will change my opinion. The field at the Omega was indeed weak. Here's why: The field only included one player, Sergio, the defending champion, in the top 50 in world rankings. It included only another ten in the top 100. And another 15 in the 100 to 200 group in rankings. This is not to say that the men competing are not good, journeyman golfers. They most certainly are. Are they for the most part in the top echelon? Definitely not. Some of the top Euros not at Crans are Howell. Casey, Donald, Monty, Olazabal, Pettersson, and Karlsson, and a slew of others. And as I previously stated, only one other American besides Bubbles, unknown Nathan Frittz, was in the field, and NO Aussies in their top 50 were entered. A good competitive field, but compared to anything recent in the US and/or Europe it was weak. 26 players ranked in the top 200 worldwide. 26 ranked players out of 155 who teed it up. Bubbles not included.
09/07/06 @ 11:41
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Well, three things that you can say for Bubbles (78), she had fun , did her best, and learned something today. It seems like her dawdling, slow play succeeded in unnerving one of her playing partners, Nick Dougherty (79). She did finish second among Americans entered. Completely unknown Nathan Fritz barely edged her out by five strokes (73). Only two Americans were entered. Look for Bubbles to do one of three things tomorrow. She may shoot a career best 64 and make the cut on the number. She may shoot a rather mundane 72 or 73 with more birdies than bogies which will give the Wie Warriors reason to regain hope. Or she may get dizzy from a combination of heat, humidity, and rarefied atmosphere and be taken off the course in an ambulance. Bubbles' post-round interview may go something like this:"I thought I played well today. I'm getting closer and closer. It it weren't for the six bogeys and one double bogey, I'd be right there." The entertainment on this blog will be priceless.
09/07/06 @ 13:16
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
i already saw her flexing her wrist back and forth today like it was bothering her. i'm sure she did something to it. and another thing if i see her flex her knees, squat and almost fall to the ground after closely missing another par putt i am going to freakin scream. act professional michelle its a par putt not a birdie putt to win the tournament. the only reason i am really even watching at this point is to see a big wreck. the same psychology applied to watching car racing if you know what i mean. if she didn't grind out every last shot (like most sixteen and seventeen year olds don't and who who just care about the next party they are going to attend) she would be shooting high 80's. but this is what she wants. so by god lets just keep giving her exemptions. she deserves them. i really like sony products. i have a couple tv's a cam corder vcr.... and i buy alot of nike too, but if they keep pimping her like this i am going to have to switch it up.
09/07/06 @ 15:19
Comment from: kevin [Visitor]
I'm cool with that Paul, we can disagree like civilized people here. I certainly believe everyone is entitled to their opinion. "Wie" will see who was right in the end.

Read something a minute ago, thought it illustrated my position well (like I need to do it any further):

I guess the 78 she posted was partly because of too much schoolwork?

"The first week of school they really dump it on you and I had to take it with me. I thought about it alot."

That's what she directly told the reporters in the scorer's tent. Now she didn't open with that comment, but it was still said. Why go there?

Paul, doesn't even a part of you think that's a copout? Just a little bit? I mean, c'mon......

09/07/06 @ 15:36
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
In her post-round interview, Bubbles offered the lame excuse that she was stressed out by having to go to school, and that she had to take all her work with her while trying to get her game back in shape. So much for her not complaining and offering excuses. She's a chronic whiner, as are most females who can't get the job done.
09/07/06 @ 15:41
Comment from: tommy [Visitor]
from golf web wire services:

"It sure didn't go the way I wanted it to," Wie added. "I think it was very difficult for me after taking time off, go home, start school and come back and play a tournament."

Wie picked up a moral victory, beating one of her playing partners. Englishman Nick Dougherty shot a 79

"My mother could have beaten me today," Dougherty said. "Michelle should be happy about it, but I don't think my mum would have been very happy about it."

another classic wie comment followed by a realistic appraisal of the situation. she needs to load up on a few more english classes as well. the way she puts sentences together is unacceptable for her and her sponsors.
09/07/06 @ 17:23
Comment from: John [Visitor]
Wie is a whiner and excuse maker. I hope she comes to the PC capital of the world (Canada), so I can heckle her relentlessly.

John
09/08/06 @ 16:19
Comment from: John [Visitor]
Bubbles finished at 15 over. Beautiful! I remember I was in Seoul and her father said to a Korean newspaper that, "The only thing American about Michelle is her passport". She did make the SK cut. Why not go back to Korea and end the madness? Koreans love excuses so she should fit right in.

If bubbles had any class she would pull out of next week's PGA event.
09/08/06 @ 16:24
Comment from: Merrin [Visitor]
"She's a chronic whiner, as are most females who can't get the job done. "

That's just as idiotic as Michelle Wie's "like" laden statements. Im not a Wie fan, not because she's a woman, because she lacks maturity & doesnt seem to 'get it', while we & other PGA golfers have to suffer through her 'getting it' process.

BTW-most women dont whine when they dont get the job done...DId Annika whine? does Danica Patrick whine? come off it.
09/09/06 @ 09:58
Comment from: Merrin [Visitor]

To me, it just illustrates she had no business being there. School is important, obviously no one wants to be a pretty dunce, so I dont understand what she's doing out there if it's so stressful. It's not benefitting her golf life or regular life.
09/09/06 @ 10:03
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Merrin, Did you say that you don't understand what Michelle was doing at the Omega? Here's a hint: She was generating some more money for her parents, agents, and the rest of her entourage. Surely you must realize that. Then again, if you don't know that most women are whiners, maybe you don't realize it.
09/09/06 @ 11:47
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Girl............you need to let some of this go. You are ackowledged by virtually everyone to have an enormous amount of talent. Please do NOT destroy all that potential and positive image with bad decisions to try and force your way into the mens tour far before you are ready.

Tiger got great advise from his dad and is now unsurpassed........you are going down a crooked road and I fear making poor decisions.

Be a golfer......grow into success.....and develop those things you need to............PLEASE do not become a side show attraction .

I wish you great career.
09/15/06 @ 16:18
Comment from: Visitor [Visitor] Email
Will hollywood please do a movie on michelle wie winning a tournament so she can claim victory against the best male players and shut her up after that they can do a movie on danica patrick winning it's that simple.
06/04/07 @ 11:07