« Heather Clarke, wife of golfer Darren Clarke, dies of breast cancer at age 39Sorenstam, Ochoa on top at Scandinavian TPC, Sandolo contends; Tiger and Stevie's happy relationship »

Comment from: June [Visitor]
Did you learn blogging from Chris Baldwin? To put Wie's name in all posts by any possible way to make a living?

By the way, Kim won the Open?

08/14/06 @ 07:20
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
June

Go easy on Dot. I predict the NY Times will soon run headlines such as:
"Condi Rice, Not Wie, Will Address UN" - Just makes good business sense.
08/14/06 @ 14:29
Comment from: Stop! [Visitor]
I only wish that we would not see something like "Tiger Woods, not Wie, has won the 12th major!" after the PGA championship.
08/14/06 @ 16:24
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
How about:
Wie, Not Woods, Has Multiple Top-Five Finishes in Pro Majors Prior to Turning 21
08/14/06 @ 16:38
Comment from: benvenuto [Visitor]
How about:
Ghet Rheel, Stop comparing Michelle to Tiger or anybody else who has won anything
08/14/06 @ 19:34
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
benvenuto
No thanks.
Some people (like us) can see brilliant talent as it develops, and some (like you) only see stats after the fact. People like us feel sorry for people like you.
08/14/06 @ 20:18
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
Ghet Rheel

Don't foget what this is all about.

The most impressive performance by a female golfer ever. Michelle Wie at 14 years and 3 months missing the SONY cut by just a single stroke. A lot of people must really have contempt for the PGA if they think that winning a womens amateur is a greater accomplishment than coming within a stroke of making a PGA cut even if it is in one of the weaker tournaments.

08/14/06 @ 20:42
Comment from: benvenuto [Visitor]
Ghet Rheel--Thank you for you're sympathy, though I hardly need it. I don't think there is any reason for you're hostility. I was simply pointing out that the Michelle and Tiger comparisons are strained at best. They are very different golfers who have chosen very different paths to achieve success. Comparing Tiger to Michelle Wie or any other golfer not named Jack at this point is a stretch. I do find it amusing that you cite her top 5 finishes in majors (stats) and then accuse me of being a narrow minded stat cruncher.

Jim C.--I agree that what Michelle(almost) did in 2004 at the Sony was incredible. I am, however concerned that she has not followed up that breakout moment with an LPGA win or a PGA tour cut made.
08/14/06 @ 23:59
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
benvenuto

I predicted that Wie would win at least two LPGA Majors this year. She did not. But over 16 rounds in the Majors she had the best combined score by one stroke over Ochoa, who also did not win. Comparing her to first three Major winners, she was 6 shots better than Annika over 16 rounds. She was 20 shots better than both Webb and Pak over the 14 and 13 rounds that each of those players played.

Her overall level of play on the LPGA has been reasonably close to expectations--but the lack of a win is disappointing.

Perhaps there was not the match with her caddy that was needed. I think they probably wanted a tough as nails caddy which they got in Greg--but I doubt there was much rapport between Greg and Michelle. After he was fired Greg did not simply lash out at BJ, he lashed out at the Wies. If as I believe, this was BJs decision and not Michelle's, why didn't Greg protect Michelle by clearly aiming his attack against her father if he felt the need to attack anyone? I suspect Michelle would do better with a caddy who has more loyalty than Greg--but, of course, that was not something they were going to get if they were going to steal a caddy away from another player.

08/15/06 @ 02:56
Comment from: benvenuto [Visitor]
Jim C--Her consistency has been something to marvel at, but I would guess that she would trade the fictional title of lowest scoring average in the four majors for a real title of any kind, especially a major.
08/15/06 @ 08:38
Comment from: Jim C [Visitor]
benvenuto

I am sure she would trade her fictional title for a real title if the cost was not too high. But even a trade with Annika over 5 stroke play events would neab 12 more strokes in exchange for one win.

08/15/06 @ 13:51
Comment from: Ghet Rheel [Visitor]
Michelle is way ahead of the curve. A big part of sports, at any level, is recognizing talent early. That's just what Nike and SONY have done in signing on with MW. BenVen doesn't see it. Nike/SONY sees it. That's what makes horse races.

I, along with millions of other sports fans, will go where the "smart money" goes. Why? Because Michelle's talent, along with her present and future success, is so monumentally obvious. BenVen, if you can't see it, I can't help you.

Nike/SONY have bet millions on her. If you're so certain of your position, go to Vegas and bet against her. Why "chill the odds" by devulging your inside info? You know, put your money where your mouth is.

08/15/06 @ 19:46