Basketball and baseball, no longer America's sports? »

Comment from: Spencer Hux [Visitor]
Phil hasn't got me convinced quite yet. The thing that will hurt him is that has to be at the top of his game to win big tournaments, and we all know that Tiger doesn't.

Tiger wins two majors (but not The Masters) to Phil's 0 this year.
04/03/06 @ 15:44
Comment from: Holt [Visitor]
One great week that's all. I must have missed your blog last week hyping Stephen Ames for player of the year after his 6 stroke victory over a far superior field at the Player's Championship. Mickelson did the same thing last year, winning the BellSouth and getting everyone's hopes up only to cave in the Masters against Tiger as usual. Picking Mickelson at anything other than a pie eating contest is a mistake in my book.
04/03/06 @ 15:48
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
Holt,
You have a great point, but what I saw, I believed. Perhaps it sounds too much like bandwagon jumping, but I was really impressed. Good call on the pie eating comp. I believe he was about 13 pies ahead of 2nd last I checked the standings. He clearly dominates that field.
04/03/06 @ 16:12
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
Spencer,
With Phil adding distance to his game last year I think he will compete in the next Major. It took him a solid year to adapt to his distances and learn how to control them. I think he is more apt to dominate thatn that of Tiger this year as a result.
04/03/06 @ 16:14
Comment from: Simon [Visitor]
I will admit I am a huge Phil fan so it pleases me greatly to hear a journalist say something good about Phil which does not suck up to Tiger. I do believe Phils win was different to his others, the golf was by far the best he has ever done and some of the best golf anybody has ever played in my opinion. Ok so the field was not spectacular but the course is one of the harder tour stops and, to me, good golf is good golf, regardless of field. Whether Phil will beat Tiger? The jury is still out, this is just one week and nobody can predict the future, Tiger, like all great champions, has a tendency to play his best when people think he is down
04/03/06 @ 16:36
Comment from: Stacy [Visitor]
I think it's great that Phil now carries two drivers in his bag. And I think that the "family-guy" image he portrays is really great. His kids are adorable.

I hope Lefty sweeps all of the majors but I guess you have to leave a little room for Tiger...odds are in his favor.
04/03/06 @ 16:38
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
Vegas odds have Tiger at 3:1 favorite and Phil at 6.5:1 to win.
04/03/06 @ 17:22
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
I'm not a Phil fan, but that would be Grrrrreat!
04/03/06 @ 17:27
Comment from: Dino [Visitor]
Let's see what happens at the Master's between Tiger and Phil. Let's see if if Phil could make a five footer. He has a chance if he does.
04/03/06 @ 17:34
Comment from: Jim Nugent [Visitor]
You're leaping to a pretty broad conclusion, from just one tournament. IF this tournament shows the new Phil, you probably are right. If he just happened to get hot last week, as Phil has done before, we aren't going to see him dominate the tour this year.
04/04/06 @ 00:27
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
Jim,
I know there are a lot of if's in this piece, but the if we just witnessed was pretty impressive, to say the least. The proof will be in the pudding, and we'll see if I have to eat crow or not.
04/04/06 @ 10:24
Comment from: Holt [Visitor]
No crow, at least not for now, nice pick. Still a long way to go, and I say things would have been very different if Phil had not been paired with Couples(their love fest was getting a little sickening), but your prediction is on track so far.
04/10/06 @ 14:35
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
Hey Kreskin, nice call. Obviously Mickelson was playing well coming out of Atlanta but usually that kind of spree only lasts for one tournament. It'll be very interesting to watch the US Open this year. He is overdue to win one of those.
04/12/06 @ 15:01
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor]
I think that your prediction is well grounded. Mickelson has been the best player in the world for many months now and is well on his way to the POY award. We still have a long way to go, though.
06/04/06 @ 13:44
Comment from: Neil [Visitor]
I think i cannot make a judgement. Lets wait and watch!
06/09/06 @ 05:30
Comment from: Scott Walker [Visitor]
Uh, what if Tiger wins the PGA...at a course where he has won before...after winning the British Open.

Tiger can still win the money title as well.

Don't EVER underestimate Eldrick T. Woods.
07/23/06 @ 14:43
Comment from: Marvin Beatty [Visitor]
Phil = T-22nd at The Open
Vijay = Misses Cut

Tiger = A two shot "W" over DiMarco. His 11th Major. His 49th Tour victory and a 25.3% professional win percentage. Oh...and he's even better ion the Majors at 28.2%.

Oh here...just read this:

...methinks your predictions of the POY need some revision.
07/23/06 @ 14:47
Comment from: Jan Gavin [Visitor]
Never have understood why on earth some think Mickelson is the best in the game in that Phil has had to really struggle to reach the #2 position, has not been there for that long, and will have to do a bit of work to maintain the distinction of being #2.

Even though Phil is a fabulous player and will probably win one or two more majors, if one examines the stats, Tiger is simply in a class by himself.
07/24/06 @ 08:31
Comment from: Mike Jones [Visitor]
Another white guy hoping Phil is better. Tiger Woods has 11 majors , Phil Mickelson has 3 and Phil is 5 years old. I wouldnt call them rivals. As far as Phil being the Player of the Year, if Tiger doesnt play he probably will be but Tiger does play he wont. You see Phil Mickelson will be what white america is hoping , the best golfer in the world but Tiger must retire first.
07/24/06 @ 12:32
Comment from: Merrin [Visitor]
I cant predict the future, and dont have the stones to usually try, so I appreciate bold predictions when I see them.

However, one thing I dont understand is the recent growing sentiment that Phil is now the best golfer in the world. (British Open notwithstanding). Dont you guys think that REALLY has to proven over a substantial time period considering what Tiger has showed us over his career? I dont even think we've seen Tiger's A-game for awhile. I recall when he was going through all his swing revamps...he was basically left for dead by critics and I had to wonder...are you people serious? Has Golf always been this knee jerk?

It's not about "sucking up" to Tiger as the Phil fan up top said, it's more about realistically looking over a long time period & using that against what you currently see. To me, Tiger has shown us some formidable feats that I cant quite write off asw a fluke. not yet anyway.

07/25/06 @ 12:09
Comment from: Merrin [Visitor]
Forgive the typo. should read:

Tiger has shown us some formidable feats that I can't quite write off as a fluke. not yet anyway.
07/25/06 @ 12:33
Comment from: mamboking [Visitor]
Where in the world is David Meyers? Did he get fired back in April for saying such sacrilegious remarks against EL TIGRE??
08/21/06 @ 15:49
Comment from: Mark Robinson [Visitor]
Tiger has just won his 12th major, and 3rd tournament in a row, Phil blew the US Open, and came nowhere in the PGA...

And can you imagine Tiger Woods standing on the tee needing a par to win a major and taking 6, ever?

Player of the year - no chance, not now , not ever!
08/22/06 @ 04:20
Comment from: Glenn [Visitor]
David, just found this blog today, want to append your Prediction? I want to know where all the idiots that were saying that Phil had surpassed Tiger back in March and April are today, I did not hear any of them saying this during the last 2 majors. Who you calling for player of the year next year Brett Wetterich?
08/22/06 @ 11:57
Comment from: Shawn [Visitor]
Well now, 4 in a row. Hmmn, David what planet are you from? Stick to quoting some other sport that you may have any knowledge of. You obviously don't know much about golf or been watching it the last 10 years. I am glad we can lay the smackdown for you and all the other Tiger haters. It is so much fun. Just stop whining and enjoy history in the making. If not, just take your silly predictions to some other sport.
08/28/06 @ 16:02
Comment from: Jose [Visitor]
David, get out of the prediction business - it's not your forte. Has anyone seen Phil after the smoking Tiger has given him in the last 4 tournaments they have played together? Majors - 12 to 3 - not even close....
08/29/06 @ 19:16
Comment from: Ajit Murarka [Visitor]
I wonder why some of the fans ae bringing race in it. But then I do not undersyand how could u write off so quickly any young player with a superior record, better than legends like Gary player. Are u a rookie or once in a while you write from no where? Be a man, admit, and show admiration, in writing too, with rest of the world.
08/31/06 @ 11:18
Comment from: mamboking [Visitor]
David Meyers, WHERE ARE YOU MAN? Be a MAN and come back and post an apology for your stupid prediction.... 5 in row baby!!!!
09/05/06 @ 10:00
Comment from: What Now [Visitor]
What now Mr Meyers with your "Phil will win tour player of the year award over Tiger"?? Where is Mickelson now? He made a boboo in the US Open and never ever forgave himself. That is what I dont like with Phil Mickelson - he is not mentally tough enough to get over his past idiocies - he carries it with him to his next tournaments and disintegrates in front of the world.
09/08/06 @ 15:41
Comment from: Forest Gump [Visitor] Email
David,

where are you now? be a man .... grow some balls.
09/25/06 @ 22:18
Comment from: sid [Visitor] Email
Time to take this oooooooff !!!
10/03/06 @ 19:48