« Women vs. Men part IICheese and Whine: Getting over the Leavy Superbowl as a Seahawk fan »

Comment from: mamboking [Visitor]
What more could he want?

How about more than 18 majors and 82 wins, and maybe 4 majors in the same calendar year as the "icing on the cake".

Where is the hunger going to come from?

Tiger is a fierce competitor by nature, something he shares with the likes of Michael Jordan. It is not about the money anymore. He wants to win period, and Golf is the vehicle that will provide food for his winning hunger.

02/16/06 @ 15:57
Comment from: David [Visitor]
David, you think becoming a billionaire will take away Tiger's dreams?

When Tiger has kids, golf will doubtless become less important to him (just as it did when he got married, etc.), but if he didn't want to win, he wouldn't play.

Further, Tiger has said that the ultimate goal of his career is to surpass Jack's record of 18 major victories.

So:

-when he has no interest in winning, he'll quit,
- but winning 19 or more majors is his ultimate golf game.

These two statements lead me to believe Tiger will be around for a few years yet - in fact, for as long as he still believes he can win tournaments. And that will probably be into his 50s.

I don't think he'll want to play the Champions Tour. Tiger wants to win PGA Tour tournaments; he seems to have little interest in arsing around on the seniors' circuit, too stubborn to just retire in style.
02/16/06 @ 16:47
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
I hope you guys are right. He did say that he probably wouldn't beat Jack's record major wins. I don't know what that means though.
02/16/06 @ 19:13
Comment from: David [Visitor]
Tiger didn't say that..

Besides, he probably WILL beat Jack's record.
02/17/06 @ 11:28
Comment from: David [Visitor]
At least, I don't think he said that.

I believe that if Tiger thought that he probably wouldn't beat Jack's 18 majors, he'd just quit now.
02/17/06 @ 11:41
Comment from: david meyers [Visitor]
He's been quoted several times saying that he didn't think he would play long enough to break Jack's record.
02/17/06 @ 16:10
Comment from: Under Par [Visitor]
David,

I'd like to see that quotation because I can't imagine that he wouldn't want to cement his place in history as the greatest golfer of all time. I also will point out that the young Nicklaus said that he didn't see himself playing past 35 and, well, we know what happened. The fact is that the young(and Woods is still quite young) are notorious for misjudging what their mindset, goals, perspective, ambitions, passions and priorities will be a decade or two hence.

Having said that, there is one profound difference between Woods and Nicklaus insofar as this goes. More often than not Woods seems to be having a miserable time on the course, with the club abuse and profanity (which shouldn't be allowed). Now, I realize that virtually all professional athletes place pressure on themselves and take their misfortune to heart in a way that people who just play for fun may not. I also realize that Nicklaus didn't exactly bounce up and down like an effervescent eight-year-old after every long drive, but he also didn't seem to be in agonizing emotional pain 50% of the time. Thus, if there's any reason to believe that your fears may have a solid foundation, it's the fact that Woods seems to derive precious little joy from playing the game.

A minor point, David: it's "Ghengis Khan," not "Ghengis Kong." Do not confuse him with King Kong, for, while he probably emitted his fair share of putrid odors and was a barbarian, he was no gorilla.

I'm not trying to embarrass you -- we all make mistakes. Heck, I remember that even I made one about seven years ago.
02/17/06 @ 18:53
Comment from: RonMon [Visitor]
Only goofball media types looking for a byline or a lot of blog commentary label a tournament a non-Tiger affair. It was never done that way with Nicklaus, Palmer, Old Tom, or Mary Queen of Scots, and it isn't perceived that way by players nor fans today. By the way, Ghengis Khong was a half-chinese, half-mongolian urinal cake tycoon in the latter half of the 17th century. He made billions. I believe that he is the one to whom David referred.
02/17/06 @ 19:03
Comment from: David [Visitor]
It just doesn't seem like Tiger to say such a thing. I've heard him talking about breaking the record enthusiastically a few times, but never that he thought he wouldn't break the record.

I've also heard Jack saying he thought Tiger would win more than 18 majors. But maybe he's just saying that so that he looks graceful in defeat if/when Tiger beats the 18-majors mark.

Also, I don't think Tiger's going to retire early. He wouldn't have very much to do, surely. Yes, he's absolutely stinking rich, but golf has been such a large part of Tiger's life up to now, I just don't think he'd know what to do with himself as a young retiree.

We've seen things like this in other sports; George Best retired from football at a ridiculously young age, thinking he could move on, but after a while realised that he missed football too much.
02/18/06 @ 06:31
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Looks like Woods and JB Holmes will be playing in the same group today at the Nissan, both having just made the cut. Kind of ironic they should meet that way. Be fun to see how their drives compare.
02/18/06 @ 12:32
Comment from: Paul W [Visitor]
Never mind, looks like Woods withdrew. Guess he chickened out ;)
02/18/06 @ 12:45
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
So - Now we won't have to hear all about that "Perfect" Tigger season anymore. 2-1 for '06. Would be nice, although doubtful, if the 2 did not change for the rest of '06.
02/19/06 @ 08:17
Comment from: David [Visitor]
John, why is that so?
02/19/06 @ 10:30
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
John D, it's quite possible that Woods won't win another tournament this year, in which case you will have cause to celebrate. The reason that Tiger won two events in playoffs this year is the fact that despite his status as a superstar, he is known by his peers to be the consummate "grinder." He has the ability to win with flashes of brilliance, but he also can win "ugly." Just imagine what would have been said if Woods had lost those two playoffs and then withdrew from the Nissan! I can hear it now. "Woods game in rapid decline.""Tiger should contemplate retirement.",etc.
02/21/06 @ 11:57
Comment from: John D [Visitor]
Or a re-run of the David Duvall show....
02/23/06 @ 18:11
Comment from: Stacy Solomon [Visitor]
Tiger Woods will not be satisfied until he wins all four majors in a single season. After he accomplishes that feat, who can say what the future holds for him?

If Elin has anything to say, expect to see a few babies in their future and watching Tiger's offspring swinging a golf club on Entertainment Tonight!
02/25/06 @ 12:06
Comment from: Alex [Visitor]
Stacy, I guess that Woods might have to go to his grave unsatisfied if winning all four majors in a single season is his only source of satisfaction. Since that feat has never been accomplished, and most likely never will be, there is no way to calculate the true odds on such an achievement. Woods is an excellent golfer, a superstar, but even he doesn't wear a red cape with a large "S" on it. I would say we should all enjoy his marvelous play and not look for any more miracles than even Tiger can provide.
02/25/06 @ 17:08
Comment from: Stacy Solomon [Visitor]
Funny observation Alex, but I meant golf satisfaction, not personal. And I really think it's possible to take all four majors in a single season. I'm sticking to my guns on that point.

And Tiger's cape has a big "T" on it. ;-)
03/02/06 @ 09:52
Comment from: Steve [Visitor]
I think Phil will win all four this year.
04/10/06 @ 13:47
Comment from: Larry M [Visitor]
I have watched Tiger for 2 days at the US Open. I am sorry he is either hung over or on drugs. The course will not explain his performance.
06/16/06 @ 12:55
Comment from: Kim [Visitor]
Tiger is finished............ Will not make the cut at the U.S. Open 2006. He may as well go home and cry some more over his Dad.
06/16/06 @ 13:31
Comment from: MO [Visitor]
What do we say now??? Tiger just spanked the entire field at The Open even after being off for 9 weeks earlier this year. Not mention, 5 of the top 10 in the world were within a shot or two going into the final round and where are they now? So what is Tiger's future?? Who knows, but as soon as you think you have him figured out...things change...
07/24/06 @ 13:50
Comment from: TonyT [Visitor]
Tiger likes money...who does'nt? Tiger likes to win...who does'nt? In every sport there are the greats and then there are the one or two that shine above the rest and must always be the standard by which everyone is measured against. The only thing left for Eldrick to do is have a family and have everone say ... but Tiger had this many majors or this many wins or grand slammed this many times. Tiger makes money hand over fist already. Everyone still sez ..."but 'Jack' this or 'Nicklaus' that...". I'm sure deep down Tiger wants to win more so everyone sez...'Woods this or Tiger that'. Sit back and enjoy the ride!
07/25/06 @ 12:56
Comment from: CJ Hackett [Visitor]
Wow, Mr. Meyers! Can't imagine how you are feeling about that Feb 16 column now; now that Tiger Woods has just won his 52nd PGA tournament. Which by the way now equals Byron Nelson's total. Oh, also by the way, Tiger admitted himself that he didn't bring his 'A' game. Heck, he played his 'c' game [wayward shot onto the clubhouse, 4 straight bogeys in the 3rd round, and losing a 3 shot lead in the final 3 holes]. He still won.

10 years ago he introduced himself entering the professional ranks as 'Hello, world'. He now seems to be saying, 'goodbye' to all of his competition. He was easily beatable last week, but no one choose to step up to the plate and beat him.

Now if you were to write a column about Mr. Phil 'milktoast' Milkenson being 'finished' - I wholeheartedly concur.

08/28/06 @ 14:29
Comment from: Merrin [Visitor]
"I don’t necessarily want Tiger to win, but I want someone to win with him there, at the very least" David Meyers

This is a very interesting statement. You dont WANT him to win, you just want others to beat him...so you want him to stick around for years to come so he gets beaten by guys like Phil? WOW.

"Tiger is finished............ "
..wow.