« A funny story about me and Matt Hasselbeck:Singh his praise after watching The Mercedes Championships and The Sony Open »

Comment from: RonMon [Visitor]
Quote # 1 "I know, I know, golf is not a team sport and this has been going on in the PGA for decades, but the same theory applies. The NFL and the NBA are not looking for celebrity pick-me-ups. It’s an embarrassment."

A little soft, are we? It's not the same theory. They are partners in the adventure; their assistance neither helps nor hinders (in the end it's a wash) the player. Not looking for celeb pick-me-ups? Are you kidding? Front row of lakers and knicks games--same celebs you see in the pro-ams, many with real-life rap sheets.

Quote # 2 "The PGA tour, by having this type of event, is admitting to a lack of entertainment in their events. If their own stars will not participate in the event, they invite Roger Clemens to excite, and get the audience involved. It just doesn’t do it for me."

If this 'type of event' took place every week, you would be correct. It does not. It generates interest in the early weeks, when other sports tug at the tour's viewer numbers. Golf viewing can be extremely boring, even for the best players. I undestand that it doesn't do it for you. If a celeb sucks, I laugh my arse off; if a celeb is good, I marvel. If a celeb is middling but charismatic (Bill Murray), I laugh and marvel.
01/23/06 @ 16:00
Comment from: Janet [Visitor]
If they want celebrities at the Classic, so they can have more people attend, then so be it. Matthew can also play golf, or did you not notice that his Team won? And why can't people let the past be the past? The ONLY reason I even turned the tv to this was BECAUSE of Matthew, otherwise, no Golf for me!
01/23/06 @ 16:32
Comment from: Greg [Visitor]
I don't kow too much about it (I am new 2 golf), but I watched some of the coverage and enjoyed it. Especially the celebs who played. Actually, I'd have to say that it was the most golf I've watched - ever!!

Also, isn't the celeb participation a major benefit to the charity the tournament supports?

Thanks for the read though. I sure do enjoy reading whiney golf blogs.

01/23/06 @ 17:43
Comment from: LA [Visitor]
Roger Clemens scored the only hole-in-one of the tourney. Jesper Parvenik also credits his pairing with the Clemens/McConaughey/Eruzione team with inspiring him to step up his play in Saturday's round.

Besides all which, it's fun to watch. And it's an excellent way to raise money for worthwhile causes. Those are all the reasons I need.
01/23/06 @ 18:23
Comment from: David Meyers [Visitor]
Thank you for all your comments.

Ron Mon, love what you have to say, but the celebs go to watch the entertainment on the court. They are not part of the entertainment.

Janet, I am glad you watched the tournament, but wouldn't you rather have Vijay, Tiger, or Ernie in the mix as well. Even if the celebs are necessary, I would still rather have a strong field of competition with the pros. Also, I do know who won, and I was excited to see Matthew's team win, he's one of my favorite actors. Perhaps I was being a little dramatic.

Greg, sorry if it sounded whiney, but the truth is, I want to see the best of the best competing in every tournament. I feel something needs to be done to ensure this. Fewer tournaments with more importance to them is the only way I see it happening.

LA, couldn't agree with you more about the raising of money for a great cause. I am simply trying to say that this shouldn't be a PGA event because the field is so weak. Glad you enjoyed. To be honest, I enjoyed watching the celebs. I just feels it doesn't help the PGA as a whole.
01/23/06 @ 19:15
Comment from: Faye [Visitor]
Bob Hope was a generous good hearted man who loved golf and often gave to charities.
This was his vision!

And I think it's great that charity minded people like Matthew want to play and help. I give him praise for it.

It also brings in more people to be introduced to the wonderful game of golf.
Faye
01/23/06 @ 20:25
Comment from: David Meyers [Visitor]
Fay, I absolutely agree. I apologize if my point wasn't as clear as I had hoped. This blog is not a slam on the charity or the participants. I disagree with the way the PGA has watered down so many "PGA" tournaments. I want to see more important, and concentrated tournaments.
01/23/06 @ 21:16
Comment from: trip [Visitor]
The only mockery was to the handicap system. Justin Timberlake was claiming to be a 6, where can I sign up for some of that action?
01/23/06 @ 22:26
Comment from: Blazer [Visitor]
I don't really care for the current Pro-Am format. I feel it should be only for 1 or 2 rounds.

But, there's only 2 tourneys that have it.
01/24/06 @ 01:06
Comment from: Under Par [Visitor]
What really makes a mockery of the PGA is having women in the tournaments.
01/24/06 @ 04:33
Comment from: david meyers (the author of this piece) [Visitor]
Trip,
That's a good observation. If he is a 6, I am going to be competing for the PGA championship this coming year.

Blazer,
Is that a reference to Portland? Man we a really missing our coach of last year in Seattle. But I agree about Pro-Am, while it gives Ams an opportunity to play with much better golfers, it takes away from what we want to watch, THE PROS.

Under Par,
That's a good point, I think the PGA would agree with you though. My guess is: The last thing the PGA wants is Michelle Wie or Sorrenstam beating Tiger. It would make the product look weak.
01/24/06 @ 10:22
Comment from: Shanks [Visitor]
David, I half-agree with you. Personally, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I never saw another celebrity play golf. But I understand that there is a desire for variety. And the majority of the amateur field was non-celebs. Not much different than the local pro-ams we have in my area. If the well-to-do are willing to pony up the big cheese to play with these guys, then more power to them. It is for a good cause. But, please God, no more televised shots of some CEO skanking one in the water.
01/24/06 @ 13:05
Comment from: david meyers (the author of this piece) [Visitor]
Shanks,
Amen. Thanks for your comment. I just wish they weren't PGA affiliated.
01/24/06 @ 13:22
Comment from: C. Scarff [Visitor]
Celebrity Pro-ams were an institutionalized part of golf long before felons became the same for the NBA and NFL.
01/24/06 @ 20:21