« Notes on England and Wales golf & travel from Manchester Airport Nefyn & District in north Wales: Put this on your list of 'play before you die' golf courses »

Comment from: James [Visitor] Email
Lol, you watch golf and you're saying the most watched sport in the world is boring. Apparently not to the majority. Maybe to golf fans, cause we know how exciting gold is.
05/22/08 @ 01:33
Comment from: Chris Papadopoulos [Visitor] Email
What a load of rubbish. Football is the greatest game on the planet because no game requires more skill, physical and mental strength. The beauty of football lies in the creativity and range of goals. You can score in almost any way and there is beauty to each of them. With golf or basketball, this can't be said.
You say that you don't like football because there isn't enough scoring. That is an extremely typical analysis from an American and a statement that perpetuates the stereotype of American games needing to be millions of points. Well, let me make this simple - the beauty of a game does not lie in the amount of points a team scores. One simple factor like that cannot be used to judge a game. Instead you have to look a multitude of factors - teamwork, skill, strength, flair, creativity, formation, strategy, tactics, culture...I could go on. A fair and complete an analysis has to be more than just "not enough goals".
Finally, you state that the Man Utd-Chelsea game is already being dubbed as a classic because it went to penalties. I don't know where you got that nonsense from either. It's being billed a classic because of the overall quality of the game over the 120 minutes. And even then, I doubt that many would call it a classic. And finally, our game is called "Football" not soccer, because you Americans invented the word soccer, just like you changed every other English word. It's football because you play with your feet. Using your hands is illegal, yet in American football, it's a necessity, and playing with your feet is actually not very frequent. So you decide which sport is incorrectly titled. Yes, we do have a show called "Soccer AM" but that's to appeal to our international audience, namely Americans. We want you to engage in our sport and finally see what the rest of the world sees - the best game on the planet.
05/22/08 @ 03:42
Comment from: Kiel Christianson [Visitor] Email
Chris & others -- Don't let BTuck mislead you. In many areas of the U.S., soccer (derived from 'association' in Football Association; besides, all words are invented, are they not?) is extremely popular. It's played by more children nationally than any other sport in fact. (I was a sweeper and then keeper from 3rd grade through university, in fact.) And some of us find it extremely entertaining to watch (I caught part of Man-Chel on T.V.). Don't let stereotypes dominate your impressions!
05/22/08 @ 07:55
Comment from: Chris Papadopoulos [Visitor] Email
Thanks Kiel. I agree with and appreciate what you say. I certainly don't like stereotypes to dominate my thinking either, and this is exactly why I was so peed off at this article, because it perpetuates the stereotype that Americans hate football because it's called football, and because it lacks goals. This is a terrible method of judging this beautiful sport and as a proponent of all things football, when I read this article it made my blood boil. I feel that what the author has wrote is an insulting slur based on very little intelligent analysis and which is extremely simplistic ie. "if it's not loved in America then it's not right" ideology. I'm sure he would not appreciate me (or anyone else) doing the same to golf. My advice to him and to anyone evaluating a sport (or anything, really) is to intelligent weigh up the different facets of the game using an objective as possible viewpoint, and then making some sort of informed conclusion.
My beliefs about why Americans don't embrace football involve a number of reasons. But one of my main beliefs is that its got to do with advertising. This is something that a lot of Americans have told me as well - that football would never work in America because Americans couldn't tolerate 45 minutes of non-interrupted television without advertisement breaks, as seen in golf, basketball, baseball, hockey, American football and so on. This is an intelligent, evidence-based viewpoint. To say that "the [football] match itself is always so much of a yawner, the only way to make things interesting is to get wholly pissed and incite your own drama" is insulting and completely untrue. This is the sort of stupid generalisation that perpetuates those stereotypes which we're all keen to avoid. These are the statements that are giving Americans a bad name when in Europe when we talk about sporting differences.
05/22/08 @ 08:59
Comment from: Chris Baldwin [Member] Email
Don't let these whining soccer losers bother you Tuck. You know why you can be certain their sports stinks? Because they feel the need to defend it with such mumbo jumbo. Yeah, Americans can't get soccer because there are not enough
Intelligent Chris Pap ... now that's intelligent ...

And Kiel you represent the average American about as well as Fabio.

A lot of us played Four Square and kick ball as kids too. Doesn't mean we want to watch it played by grownups either.

05/23/08 @ 01:00
Comment from: Chris Papadopoulos [Visitor] Email
Kiel - unfortunately Chris Baldwin's comments substantiate what I was saying - that Americans are a bit of a joke in Europe. What you are saying Chris B. is meaningless nonsense. Maybe you are 5 years old - that would explain what you write and the way that you write. Otherwise, I worry for you! Oh, and "whining Soccer losers"? Erm, mate, read Brandon's article and you decide who's doing the whiny moaning!
05/23/08 @ 04:26
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
Chris Papa, I'm no fan of soccer either, but please don't take any of Baldy's comments as representative of the average American. Not only would that be untrue, tt would set back foreign relations 100 years!
05/23/08 @ 08:43
Comment from: Chris Papadopoulos [Visitor] Email
Thanks Shanks - will try not to!
05/23/08 @ 08:51
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Hey Kiel, to be fair, the point you mention about soccer being played in the States I hit when I said most kids' first sport is soccer. If I'm not mistaken, there are more kids playing soccer in the US than any other sport. Also, the only time I can ever tolerate baseball is if my hometown is playing - and it probably has to be late in the season or the post season for me to care. So my dislike of soccer doesn't stem from my pig-headed American-ness.

And Chris, as far as being "insulting and untrue" about fans getting drunk and rioting, when is the last time the president of the US came out and condemned sports fans actions like Brown just did with Manchester? There are riots in the stands and fan deaths consistently in soccer. That cannot be disputed. I also heard Man. U and Chelsea fans were blocked off from one another in the Moscow stadium and were even escorted out at separate times and entrances.

Believe it or not in this 'joke of a country' called America, we can wear a jersey to a sports game without fear of getting beat up (though, to be fair, a drunk baseball fan did just fall 150 feet to his death...but that's rare :-).

And Baldwin, hilarious comment about four square!!!

05/23/08 @ 10:05
Comment from: Chris Papadopoulos [Visitor] Email
Brandon,
I don't know where you get your ideas about football, I really don't. To imply that English people can't wear a sports jersey in an English street without the fear of getting beaten up is taking your absurdity to a new low. This is simply untrue and I *plead* with you to do your research properly before stating such a thing. This is like me saying "that at least in England I can walk down a working-class street without getting someone having a gun in their pocket".
This would of course be an inflammatory statement based on zero evidence and lay stereotypical beliefs. So you tell me - are your purposively trying to, as Shanks put it, set back foreign relations by 100 years?

As for "riots and fan deaths in football consistently happening" - this is unfortunately again a simplistic and over-generalisation statement that serves to fit your stereotypes. Riots in England and most of modern-Europe is a thing of the past when the game was more passionate within working-class communities that unfortunately are generally more prone to alcoholism and petty violence. Today in English and most of Western countries, football is an affluent, middle-class game in which money dominates both on and off the field. All stadiums are now fully seated as 99% of professional clubs can now afford better facilities, including security and better stewarding. The only fan violence now unfortunately only occurs in Italy, where there is a large mafia, criminal culture connected to some parts of football. But even such occurrences are exceedingly low compared to what the media would have you believe. Therefore Brandon, before wholly concluding that fan violence and deaths are consistent in football, I suggest you take a closer look at the real facts, before you continuously apply your stereotypical beliefs based on anecdotal evidence that fit your pre-conceived ideas.
Another point: if I'm not mistaken, my main criticism of your article was not centered on this point anyway, so why you are referring specifically to this point strikes me a bit strange. My criticism actually focussed on your over-simplified and wholly subjective analysis that football is boring because there are not enough goals and your incorrect claim that the Man Utd-Chelsea game is being dubbed as a classic (which it is not) because it went to penalties. This is again a shameful example of somebody selectively taking information that slots into your pre-conceived stereotypes, even if the information is not entirely accurate.
My message to you Brandon is simple: You are a professional, yet you have analyzed football in extremely lay terms. If you're going to evaluate something, do it intelligently. Weigh up different facets of the game, look deeper into the meaning of things you 'hear', use facts, avoid stereotypes, and make some sort of intelligent, informed conclusion. If after you've weighed up everything, and you can provide compelling and thought-provoking analysis, while stating that you still think that football is not your thing, then fair enough.
05/23/08 @ 10:49
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
There were fights on the streets of Moscow, I'm sure they were Italians...

My message to you Chris is this: you take informal blog posts entirely too seriously, especially given the fact this is a golf & travel site. My perspective in this blog comes as a traveler in a foreign country, trying to figure out what the fuss is all about and determining I just don't get it.
05/23/08 @ 17:06
Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
Soccer is fun to play, and if you're in the right mood, fun to watch. Reading Chris Papadopolous is not fun. He writes a lot. He writes more than most of us write. He gets angry. I want to watch Truth or Dare on television, live, right after four square and duck-duck-goose:extreme. Holy crap, it's like someone called soccer a whore or something. Get over it already. It's a great game that can bore when played poorly. What game isn't prone to such lapses in viewability? I made that word up, right after I invented the terms "soccer" and "Al Gore."
05/24/08 @ 20:09
Comment from: Footballer [Visitor] Email
The name of the sport is football. Get it right.
08/16/08 @ 22:39