« Bigger than the FedEx Cup: World Amateur Handicap Championship in Myrtle BeachPGA Tour players at the FedEx Cup should follow Tiger's lead and not compete so much »

Comment from: Golf Goddess [Visitor] Email
So let me get this straight:
1. Wales offers gorgeous, challenging, moderately priced golf courses
2. The cources welcome everyone, even children
3. Wales has more castles per square mile than any place in Europe.

Sounds like a great family vacation. What are z' looney Americans waiting for? The Jolie-Pitts to vacation there first?

08/23/07 @ 14:13
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
Goddess, most Americans suffer from herd mentality. Not too much original thought going on around here. But that's ok by me. The more in demand these courses become, the higher will be MY greens fees when I go over.

B-Tuck, I realize it's all a matter of taste - of course, but some travel "experts" prefer Pennard to Royal Porthcawl. No less an authority than James Finegan calls Pennard one of the best 20 courses in the world. To be fair, he loves RP also. Can't wait to try em both myself!
08/24/07 @ 13:43
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Funny you should mention Mr. Finnegan, Shanks. He was on our trip for a few days, though he took off north before we went to Porthcawl and Pennard. A real treat to hang with for sure!

Pennard has a lot of things going in its favor, but its more of a novelty than a championship links. You wouldn't stage a big tournament on it. The first time you play here you'll be lost - it's the kind of course you need to play 10 times before really knowing what's going on. 20 best in the world? No, but probably one of the 20 most unique. It's definitely worth seeing - truly a one-of-a-kind links.

08/24/07 @ 13:55
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
What a horrible life Finnegan must lead. Hell, he's over there more than you are, B-Tuck!!

Sounds like a caddy is in order at Pennard. Quirky is fun if you know where you're going. I really enjoyed Prestwick and North Berwick in Scotland, which are also not your usual tracks.
08/27/07 @ 09:55
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
Speaking of quirky - though I've never played it - I understand that Lahinch has a bit of that personalityas well.
08/28/07 @ 10:18
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Lahinch is far different from Prestwick and Pennard and Tenby and the "quirky" ones. Lahinch's two most famous holes are quirky, yes, but on a whole it is more of a championship-style course with all sorts of shots. They've rebuilt a lot of the bunkers and greens in the last few years and now it's right up there with Royal Portrush in my opinion.
08/28/07 @ 16:24
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
If only I could speak from experience ....
08/29/07 @ 10:38
Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
B-Tuck, my boys & I have finally made a decision. We're going to Northern Scotland next June. Will play Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch (twice each), as well as Brora, Nairn, Old Moray, Royal Aberdeen and Montrose.
09/05/07 @ 12:10
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Can't go wrong there, Shanks.

I hit Nairn, Dornoch and Aberdeen in that cycle and I've heard great things about Brora and Cruden Bay. Seems like a pretty compact trip too, so you won't be stuck in the car too much!
09/05/07 @ 12:18
Comment from: Bruce Baker [Visitor] Email
Thanks for the article sbout Royal Porthcawl.I hope to be there next year. What I really wanted to sat was BRAVO re your cooments about Portmarnock. A more highly overrated course you'd be hard pressed to find. When in Dublin play at The Island course instead. Much better course at half the price. Fully agree with Brandon's comments about Lahinch. The blind par 3 and par 5 get all the publicity but no one ever talks about the other fabulous 16 holes.
09/05/07 @ 19:46
Comment from: Erik [Visitor] Email
I´m going to England/Wales in a couple of weeks, playing amongst others Royal Porthcawl, Pennard & Ashburnham. Saw that Brandon thought that RP is just ahead of Kingsbarns in the rankings because of Kingsbarns expensive greenfees. Even though I think RP is pretty expensive (£95 incl.lunch) you could also put those 3 great golfcourses together against Kingsbarns. We´re using Open Fairways and the total greenfee is pretty much the same as one round on Kingsbarns.
04/08/08 @ 07:18