« Want to watch live golf? Start with the LPGA galleries over the PGA TourOchoa wasn't disappointed with U.S. Women's Open finish - especially after close call lightning strike »

Comment from: BV [Visitor]
BTuck - I usally thoroughly enjoy your posts, and usually find a measure of agreement with you (especially when you rag on Wolfie and Baldwin...lol). However, today's post just didn't make the 'cut' - economically speaking. I checked both Target and Wal-Mart stores online and guess what...JEAN SHORTS COST MORE THAN PLAIN KHAKI SHORTS!!! ;) So it isn't a "born of necessity" thing, it's a "generational rebelliousness" thing. Much in the same vein as wearing your hat backwards, I imagine...

Although...you would NEVER catch me at a PGA event in golf shoes! I think it's more than a bit tacky for specatators.
07/03/07 @ 13:24
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
BV - thanks, but I think you're forgetting that the purest form of jorts come from cutting off old jeans. So really, they are free. Only posers BUY their jorts.

Your research is in vain!

07/03/07 @ 13:29
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
BT,

I think you are dead wrong here.

It's not a 'dis of the "blue collar" golfer. Notice the word "collar"? How hard is it to scrape up a collared shirt with a pair of shorts made of something other than denim? It's not hard to do, and it lends just a touch of civility to the game. What is wrong with preserving a little dignity and tradition to the game?

Compare that to the cut-off jeans and t-shirt wearing, beer-swilling, ball-searching, cart-crashing, obnoxious and loud, non-ball repairing hack. Growth in the sport is great, but not at the cost of the integrity of the game.

I wear sneakers on the course b/c combat boots shredded my feet for so long, I now sacrifice function for comfort, and refuse to wear the "golf sneaker-shoe". I usually walk and carry a pencil-bag. Now, I am not the picture of a golf-snob, but I do believe it necessary to comport oneself appropriately on the course, and cutoff jeans and a t-shirt don't cut it.

One point I must agree on, wearing golf shoes at a golf tournament are stupid.

07/03/07 @ 16:58
Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
Why a drumroll? How about thunder and lightning, or a hail of bullets? Massey is from Columbus, and Berner is from Chicago...get it? C for Conservative. Whereas Buffalo begets B for Bullsh$t.
07/03/07 @ 20:15
Comment from: Mr Business Golf [Visitor] Email
I have to agree that cut off blue jeans and T-Shirts are not really proper attire anywhere, especially on the golf course. The image being portrayed by those who feel the attire is appropriate does not do golf any good. I can agree that most of the unacceptable attire being attempted to be worn at golf clubs is purely a generational attitude and an attempt to see what can be gotten away with. What is at risk if the attire issues is not controlled is huge losses of revenue for the golf facilities. The millions of business golfers who spend 65% more money on food and beverage at these facilities will leave taking that club’s revenue with them . For the sake of golf, and the future of game of golf being available to all everywhere, proper dress codes needs to be enforced at all cost.

07/03/07 @ 20:30
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Tucker,

You really need to grow up. This isn't the first time you've tried to play the cool one, behaving as if tradition is some kind of stifling, oppressive set of social norms that must be cast to the winds. As the great G.K. Chesterton said, "Tradition is democracy extended through time." It isn't an unjust imposition of values, but how a civilization can govern itself without recourse to laws. Speaking of which, you leftists don't mind enforcing standards at the end of a gun (through laws) but take offense at tradition, which merely applies social pressure to achieve that end. You should ponder this contradiction.

Anyway, when will you stop behaving like a rebellious 16-year-old who is mad at his father? As others have pointed out, what you complain about has nothing to do with elitism or money; it's no different than the people who insist on going to church dressed like bums. It's driven by nothing but ego and a spirit of defiance.
07/04/07 @ 13:38
Comment from: JR [Visitor] Email
Judge calls it right....again...
07/04/07 @ 18:06
Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
"Judge calls it right ... again..." says J.R., newest member of the jury, the informal "posse" of Judge Elhugh Smails.

Smails, methinks that Tucks wedged tongue firmly in mouth cheek before writing this blog entry. When we faux-golf bloggers get bored, we take pot shots at each other.

I feel badly that Tucks barfs twice weekly over golf alone. He should have that looked at.

Mr. Business Golf: memo to you...they will not leave over some denim, just as the Sabres will not collapse without Drury and Briere. It would take a wholesale collapse of decorum (naked and tattooed bodies, etc.) for the business types to leave golf. Where else they gonna spend their jing, the tennis court? the velodrome? the natatorium?

Judge Smails...Tucks as a rebellious 16-year old does not jibe. His vocabulary is more expansive than the average, angst-ridden bratz. If he truly sought golf anarchy, his effort would have been better lit.
07/04/07 @ 23:52
Comment from: Golf Goddess [Visitor] Email
Somewhere buried in this jeans vs khakis argument lurks the heart of the matter -- is golf a sport or a social occasion???
07/08/07 @ 20:41
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
Golf,

To answer your question, golf is a hybrid between a sport and a game.

As for dress codes, all sports/games have them. You can't play in a tennis tournament or a baseball game in a bathing suit.
07/08/07 @ 23:51
Comment from: 2under [Visitor] Email
Judge,

Your point has caused me to reconsider the dress code for the game of golf. At least for the ladies.

Hmmmm...bikini for Ms. Gulbis? Very interesting...

I seem to remember a relative of yours, one Ms. Lacy Underall, chose not to wear a brassiere during her tenure at Bushwood.

07/10/07 @ 17:51
Comment from: Judge Smails [Visitor] Email
2under,

It's MISS Lacy Underall. And never fear, she is now in a convent, where her sense of modesty has improved markedly.
07/11/07 @ 11:33
Comment from: Booger [Visitor] Email
Sorry to break the news to you Judge, but she's in
my den making me a martini.
07/11/07 @ 12:55
Comment from: BV [Visitor]
BTuck....Silly fella that you are....NOW you really make my point. If 'jorts' need to be cut down from jeans to be 'cool'....then they cost even MORE than machine made ones. And by extension, even more than a cheap pair of khaki shorts. lol, research is NEVER in vain!

I do have to say though, putting Ms Gulbis in a bikini for a LPGA tourney definitely has potential for drawing viewers!! ;)

07/11/07 @ 13:19