« U.S. Open update: morning players go low. Dougherty leads, Garcia blows up, Tiger is closeRain at Oakmont means scores won't be as high as many predicted »

Comment from: Ron Mon [Member] Email
"or drinking in a dive bar somewhere."

There's a sympathetic thought...after their pathetic days in their pathetic places of employment, they head to a pathetic place to drown their sorrows. Such pathetic lives for these steel workers. What is this, Dickens? Sinclair?

What is the state of Pittsburgh's munis? Does it have any? They have a number of well-to-do CCFAD courses, but I don't know what their muni system shapes up to be.

Come to think of it, what is the shape of the steel industry? Any plants still open? Any forges still firing? Any hard hats still worn?
06/14/07 @ 05:59
Comment from: Dave Marrandette [Visitor]
Or you can pick up a copy of the most recent Golf World and read Rosaforte's story on how "wonderful" the membership is at Oakmont.

You're right on BT. Good swing.
06/14/07 @ 08:16
Comment from: Jack Lillywhite [Visitor] Email
I don't believe you can pick up the phone and make a tee time at Muirfield (which is pretty much as hard to get on as is Agusta). And you certainly can't just call St. Andrews and get a tee time by phone on the Old Course. Your post needs serious editing or people will really think it is that easy to play the Open rota.
06/14/07 @ 08:44
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
Jack, homeboy, you're way off. Do some research. Go to Scotland sometime. Getting on the Old Course is easier than almost any private club in America. Muirfield allows limited public play about twice a week usually.

Ron Mon - you caught me, I think I've been watching that Invincible movie too many times.
06/14/07 @ 10:28
Comment from: ronmon [Visitor] Email
Thanks, compat. I agree on the Scotland thing... I walked on as a single at the old course with ease. Tons of access in Scotland, compared to this side of the pond. Maybe it's because we have more public access courses. Who knows...
06/14/07 @ 10:55
Comment from: Deb [Visitor] Email
I am trying to book tee times for next summer on the 5 British open courses and am having a hard time doing it. A couple of you said its easy - how did you do it if you didn't go through a tour company? The company I am working with told me this week that Muirfield is fully booked. thanks
08/29/07 @ 14:29
Comment from: ford city [Visitor] Email
My boss is a member of Oakmont Country Club. He is
not the stuffed shirt you are depicting at all. I feel you are judging a book by it's cover a bit due to the steep cost of membership. My boss, actually bosses have blue collar work ethics that would surprise you and if you saw some of the filthy mud and dead fish and extreme heat, I doubt YOU would venture into this area. My boss was in there without hesitation, and stayed until we were done doing what we were doing. Your point is taken. The majority of members probably dont even cut their own grass but I think you should know that I know one member who has done and does jobs that most wouldn't.
08/05/09 @ 00:11
Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.
12/12/10 @ 00:36