« You won't find championship tees at golf courses in ScotlandThe Carrick in Loch Lomond will add to Scotland's world class golf offerings »

Comment from: Jeff S. [Visitor] Email
I agree 100%! There is hushed reverence about Dornoch, and it is at the top of my list. You feel so far removed from the rest of Scotland and the world, and there is a palpable feeling of specialness in the air.

Turnberry, while a great experience, is a more Americanized course. But to walk up the 18th fairway with the sun starting to go down, and hearing the somber bagpipes echo around you is a near-religious experience.

Prestwick is old-school at its craziest. When I played there, we teed off behind an 80 year old member...and his dog. If a course was built like this today they would call it "tricked-up", but the fact that it has been like this for so long makes it a unique treat unlike any other. But you MUST take a caddy, or you won't have a clue which dune, bush, or giant hill to hit the ball over next.

(I lost a sand wedge late one night at Dornoch, and figured it to be gone forever since we were leaving the area the next morning. Our second day at Troon - on the other side of the country - it was delivered to our hotel. The people of Scotland consistently exceded my expectations! It is about more than just Golf when you visit there.)
10/25/06 @ 10:32
Comment from: irish eyes [Visitor] Email
I am thoroughly enjoying all your descriptions of the classic golf courses and the "sidebars" regarding the people and places of Scotland are quite evocative. However, I must say the pictures with the articles are simply sublime!!
10/25/06 @ 14:15
Comment from: Bill [Visitor] Email
I could not agree more about Dornoch. It is incredible. Did you post more pictures of Royal Dornoch?
10/27/06 @ 16:54
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
I took a few, yes. They should be posted on GolfEurope.com in the next week or so...
10/27/06 @ 17:00
Comment from: John Gomila [Visitor] Email
On my recent, first, trip to Scotland (but certainly not my last, I had the opportunity to play the Old Course at St. Andrews and Royal Dornoch. The Old Course is truly special because of what it is, and I'll pay any price to play it again.
Dornoch, however, is a better golf course, in terms of challenge, conditioning, natural beauty, and any other category one can imagine except, of course, history. I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed it, from the attitude of the staff, to my classic Scottish caddie (actually a 30 year old from New Jersey named Chris), to the wonderful weather, to the reasonable price. As soon as I get through playing The Old Course again, I'm on my way back to Dornoch.
06/20/07 @ 14:17
Comment from: edward sierra [Visitor] Email
i am a member at royal dornoch and thank you for the comment. my top four in scotland are dornoch,
kingsbarns, cruden bay and the amazing machrihanish, where i am also a member. you can check this sublime course out at www.machgolf.com.
unfortunately, given its remote locaton (more remote than dornoch)- on the tip of the kintyre peninsula - most golfers omit it on their pilgrimage. a true pity!
03/14/08 @ 11:42
Comment from: Hans Gabrielson [Visitor] Email
I also totaly agree. In a couple of weeks my wife and I will go back and play Royal Dornoch for the second time. I visit Scotland every year and my ambition is to play the 15 best courses. I have played Carnoustie, Muirfield, Old Course etc. My favorites so far is Dornoch and Turnberry. This time we will play Troon and Prestwick as well. Next year we will visit Machrihanish. But I have never been so close to heaven as I was in a September morning 2005 when we played Royal Dornoch in a still, sunny morning.
08/03/08 @ 13:29