« The Carrick in Loch Lomond will add to Scotland's world class golf offeringsLearning "roundabouts", loving Turnberry and a shot at the Ailsa course record »

Comment from: Shanks [Member] Email
Prestwick is a real treat, much fun in that layout. Don't be fooled to think isn't tough, tho. There are many difficult holes but a good mix. I got lucky on the first hole as my bleeder-right tee ball caromed off the stone wall between the course and railroad tracks and wound up on the short grass - easy par. Definitely take at least one caddy per foursome. We had a good one, a big rascal named Holly. We were going to join up with him in town at a pub down the street, but time & travel constraints forced us to take a pass. Really regretted we couldn't do that. We had a great time in the pubs with the locals everywhere we went and Holly was undoubtedly great company for a bunch of regular guys like us.
10/20/06 @ 10:56
Comment from: golf goddess [Visitor] Email
Did Old Tom establish a 19th hole?
10/21/06 @ 21:56
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
I didn't get a caddie at Prestwick -- I forget why, there must have been a reason -- and
I paid for it in some ways, and in some ways not.

I used driver first hole. Nobody uses a driver that hole, and a group of Scots mocked me openly when I walked up to the tee with it.

That pissed me off. Anger motivates me and I hit one of the best drives I've ever hit, though I missed a birdie putt, and if I ever play Prestwick again, I'll use a long iron. Still, that shut them up.

That was a trend I noticed in Soctland. Most of the Scots I played with were good golfers, but they didn't like to gamble with the driver.

They called me an ignorant American.

I called them girly-baby-Scots, and we would trade insults. We had two games going on: golf and insults. Every time they'd hit an iron off the tee and I'd hit driver, I'd flex my biceps, a formidable sight if I do say so myself.

In the pubs afterward, if we were still on speaking terms, the insults would continue and sometimes escalate, depending on how much Guinness we drank, for strength.

I think one or two fights broke out, but usually they'd back down, remembering those biceps.
10/27/06 @ 07:44
Comment from: Brandon Tucker [Member] Email
You're insane, Tim.

On the first hole at Prestwick, I hit a beautiful, soaring 5-iron that drifted right, hit the top of the stone wall and settled on the railroad tracks.

Kudos for hitting a driver. It is "possible", although the Scots at the tee when I teed off said it couldn't be done.
10/27/06 @ 17:15
Comment from: tim [Visitor] Email
It CAN be done and it WAS done, as the great Yank proved that fateful day.
10/31/06 @ 08:05
Comment from: Larry Patterson [Visitor] Email
*****
I was an officer in the U.S. Navy, stationed at Prestwick AFB for two years from 1963 to 65. I played old Prestwick many times. It is a great experience. I finally learned not to keep score, just count lost balls. Lived just across Crosbie Road from the 17th tee at Old Troon (now Royal Troon). The two courses link and are wondeful examples of what golf courses should be. You've never really played golf if you haven't played in Scotland.
06/13/10 @ 13:04